More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 21:19:05

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Properly raising the dead?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Properly raising the dead?  (Read 5722 times)
Mixreality
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Properly raising the dead?
« on: 2009 February 27, 14:57:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hello,
I'm trying to make a downtown template where the Tricous and Rainelle Neengia are alive and in the sim bin. I took Argon's cleaned D001 template (burried somewhere in the empty templates thread, specifically I took the one posted by BirmanKat @ kandbdesigns), cleaned the memories and death tokens, unchecked the ghost flags and fixed some missing family ties. I've made two new Family Information (FAMI) resources, put the Tricous in one family and Rainelle in the other. After attaching downtown to a hood, they show up in the bin alright, BUT:

1. Changes made to the "Name" box in the Family Information panel in SimPe don't stick. So the families don't have family name, they show up as "The  family" (that's double space there). Looking at other hoods I realized all FAMI resources have accompanying [Text List] resource, so I made those too, and entered a name and some silly bio in it. The FAMI names do show up as changed in SimPE, but in game both families show up as "The Default Family" now. Bios (Descriptions? Whatever...) are there, so the text lists actually do something. Basically, the question is - how the hell do I change the name of the family?? I'm sure it's something really simple.
ETA - SOLVED!!!

2. Even though they don't have any attributes of the dead, their wants and fears don't reflect that - The Tricous keep rolling fears of other family members being zombies or their tombstone kicked. Question - how do I "refresh" the SWAF to reflect the fact that nobody's dead? I've looked at SaraMK's merged hood with living Tricous and their SWAF's are just fine. The only thing that comes to mind is deleting the SWAFs so they could regenerate, but, uhm, does it actually work that way?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: 2009 February 27, 17:18:08 by Mixreality » Logged

phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
Re: Properly raising the dead?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 February 27, 15:14:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This may be a stupid question, but when you put them in families, did you go to the family screen and actually move them out of the "default" family or the "blank" family?  If you didn't, they may still think they're there.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
Mixreality
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 February 27, 15:21:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, not stupid at all. The thing is, the real "Default" family shows up as empty (in each and every hood), so technically I can't move them out of it. But their family instance number in Sim Description is correct, so I guess this is not a problem.

On the other hand, I made new FAMI resources by cloning the original default one. This may be the cause of the "Default" name, but I have no idea how to change it because correct names already show up in SimPE (but not in game).

Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 February 27, 16:11:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When you cloned the FAMI resource, did you change the resource instance as well? (I mean, to match the family instance of carachters).
Also, the SWAF problem can be that the Wants history cannot be modified. I don't exactly know how to fix this, though.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Mixreality
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 February 27, 16:27:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did change the resource instance numbers, if that's what you mean. More specifically, I changed the Tricou FAMI instance to 0001, and Neengia to 0002. Characters' SCSC show correct family instance number, so I guess the answer to your question is "Yes" (if I understood correctly). Everything is fine really (they show up in the bin as expected, Tricous in one family with large amounts of monies I set, Rainelle in other with 20k), only the names are missing. Which confuses me even more considering the bios I gave them show up correctly.

Any idea will deleting SWAF instances lead to regenarating or BFB?

Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 February 27, 16:59:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When you edited the family's name in the STR, did you remember in which language it was being edited? It's quite possible that you changed the text of a different language than the one you use on your game.

[...] will deleting SWAF instances lead to regenarating or BFB?
I'm not really sure about this. Backup, delete, then tell us how it went. Wink
Mixreality
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 February 27, 17:16:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, I was just editing my last post. I got the names. Sometimes, random solutions are random. I removed all from their families, added them to Default family, removed them from Default family, added them to their families. Works  Roll Eyes Thank you Phyliss for pointing me in the right although unexpected direction.

Theo: My game's in default language and SimPE automatically edits the default language, right? English or english US, not sure, but there IS a default language, yes? Anyway, I got the names, but the question is, will everything show up in other languages as intented. I clicked on 'Copy to all' or something like that, and it's suppose to take care of all the lingos, right?

The SWAF question remains. I could try deleting and see what happens. The problem is, maybe everything shows up correctly at first, but it could get messed up much, much later on. Or perhaps I'll get blank wants at first but that could actually be ok, because they don't know what to want yet, but will get a clue eventually. Anyway, the testing would have to be looong, and I'm not sure what signs of VBT should I be looking for.

Also, any ideas what should be written in their bios?

GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 February 27, 17:33:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"Will you please stop fucking with me and let me rest in peace!"   Wink

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

Myers-Briggs: - ISFP       Awesome NS2 -  DOOOO EEEET!

[23:56] Pescado: ATTACK, MY DUCKY MINIONS!
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 February 27, 17:35:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Theo: My game's in default language and SimPE automatically edits the default language, right? English or english US, not sure, but there IS a default language, yes?
I gave that hint because once I had installed a few expansion packs with different languages among them, making it a bit difficult to know what was the default language. To make matters more confusing, whenever I installed SimPe anew, it defaulted to the language defined in Windows' regional settings, which is different from the language installed with the expansion packs.

Anyway, I got the names, but the question is, will everything show up in other languages as intented. I clicked on 'Copy to all' or something like that, and it's suppose to take care of all the lingos, right?
In that situation it's better to use "Default lang only".
Mixreality
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 February 27, 17:57:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"Will you please stop fucking with me and let me rest in peace!"   Wink

Hee hee Cheesy I was thinking about something that would involve living though, rather then resting in peace Smiley

I gave that hint because once I had installed a few expansion packs with different languages among them, making it a bit difficult to know what was the default language. To make matters more confusing, whenever I installed SimPe anew, it defaulted to the language defined in Windows' regional settings, which is different from the language installed with the expansion packs.
I never chose any language other than default for anything, including Windows. So if everything defaults to English(US) it should all be fine.

In that situation it's better to use "Default lang only".
Say, people would want D001 template with the living dead and say I ask Argon to share what is basically my slight modification of his work. If I do the 'Default lang only' for the two new FAMI resources, how will family names and bio show up for, say, a french person who plays the game in french. Yes, I know it won't show in french, but will it be blank or english?

Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 February 28, 16:40:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I do the 'Default lang only' for the two new FAMI resources, how will family names and bio show up for, say, a french person who plays the game in french. Yes, I know it won't show in french, but will it be blank or english?
It will fall back to the default text (en-US).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: