More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 23:50:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Hack Requests? I'd Like a Newspaper Fix...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Hack Requests? I'd Like a Newspaper Fix...  (Read 19839 times)
ReneeFox
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Hack Requests? I'd Like a Newspaper Fix...
« on: 2009 February 23, 21:28:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, before I get boo'd off this site, I'd better ask before spelling it all out.  I thought this fit in The Bowels of Trogdor, but I can't post in there.

I found a bug with EAxis spaghetti code where they tried to do something fancy with Read Section... of a newspaper, and broke the ability for Sims to put the paper back where it came from; it goes on the floor.  I followed code from Check Weatherforecast, Do Crossword, and reading magazines.  I couldn't figure out where the problem was, but all of them seem to call "put paper back" (something else for reading magazines).  So, they bwoke it!!!  It drives me crazy that the paper could be anywhere, depending on what floor a Sim puts the paper down.  I couldn't get beyond looking through nests of code and scratching my head.

Can somebody around here create a hack-fix for this?  Oh, and how do Peasants upload their teeny-weeny fixes to this site?   Cheesy
« Last Edit: 2009 February 23, 22:26:38 by ReneeFox » Logged

Please don't Delete Me 'cause I don't post much in the Forum!
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: Hack Requests? I'd Like a Newspaper Fix...
« Reply #1 on: 2009 February 23, 22:37:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Peasant offerings go in the Peasantry. You know. The section that says "Random stuff from the peasants. " Yeah. That one. As for the newspaper issue, sims have always dropped it wherever they may (closest coffee table, then floor).

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
ReneeFox
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 February 23, 22:40:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, okay, adjust your glasses.  I didn't say WHERE!  I said HOW!  How do you like THAT?  Booooooooooooooooo you, too. Grin  I don't want to mess with HTML to upload a file, and FTP isssssssssn't it!  I'm sure there are things the DCs want to accept hacks from Peasants.  I didn't see how, but then again, my eyes are buggin' from reading tiny print.

Oh, and once you start looking at the code difference between Newspaper - Check Weatherforecast and Read Section... (0x7F08E23C), if it doesn't make you flinge (or cringe), I'll pull my own hair out for you; or shoot that thing off the top of your fury little head with an arrow if I'm right. LOL

My Sims always put the paper back on an available table (if present) when checking the forecast, doing a crossword, and perhaps others.  They never place it on an end-table or coffee table for reading hobby sections. So:

GOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
« Last Edit: 2009 February 23, 23:01:57 by ReneeFox » Logged

Please don't Delete Me 'cause I don't post much in the Forum!
Stitches
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 February 24, 03:20:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dunno about any fixes you come up with. I mean, it isn't exactly rocket science to upload an attachment into Peasantry. If you can't handle that simple task, why would anyone trust a fix from you? I can only surmise that you are either very silly or want attention.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 February 24, 03:22:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The newspaper is simply not a priority, because I have long engaged in the practice of preemptively burying 3 using a Makebuyable collection under the foundation somewhere of any lot I make, because, frankly, it's a hassle. Sims seem to think it is worth stealing, others seem to think this silliness is worth caring about, and worst of all, if you don't, it SPAWNS A 12! FILTHY 12s!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Milhouse Trixibelle Saltfucker III
Saltfucking Weasel
Terrible Twerp

How is a weasel like a writing desk?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 February 24, 04:37:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What do you use for "a Makebuyable collection"? I used to have a nice collection of normally unbuyable things that I found very useful, but apparently it broke at some point.

04:49 <@Pescado> That seems somehow unnecessarily cruel.

21:17 < Kewian> Trixie one day you are going to pay for your crimes.

Your source for blood and circuses.
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 February 24, 13:44:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What's gotten annoying is that the paperboy/girl will hike all the way to your front door now and plop it down instead of at the mailbox.  And any walk-bys who want to read it will do the same.  A nice little "feature" that came with AL.

I seem to recall old newspapers attracted roaches.  I can't be sure though.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 February 24, 15:58:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, and once you start looking at the code difference between Newspaper - Check Weatherforecast and Read Section... (0x7F08E23C), if it doesn't make you flinge (or cringe), I'll pull my own hair out for you; or shoot that thing off the top of your fury little head with an arrow if I'm right. LOL
All EAxis code has that reaction for me. It's unnecessarily complicated, roundabout, etc. Calling it spaghetti code is too kind. Also, look up Trichotillomania. Jokes about pulling out hair are not amusing. It's nearly as bad as saying you'll cut yourself.

You asked to be booed. I aim to please.

I seem to recall old newspapers attracted roaches.  I can't be sure though.
Not a behavior I've noticed. It's really common for my sims to have newspapers decaying all over the place because I don't direct cleaning unless one of the sims is high on neat, and few have maids. Only one household has a butler. No roaches. I get them from trash, of course.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
professorbutters
Humourless Egghead
Lipless Loser

Humourless Priss

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 February 24, 18:47:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only thing I've noticed with old papers is that the Garden Club members regard it as trash--only a problem if you're trying to get a Wishing Well--and if you have some sitting around, the paperboy/girl stops delivering them.  My maids clean them up; a lot of the time my neat Sims have already cleaned them up on free will.  I find the coffee cup behavior much more annoying (and there is a hack for that) and the dropping of Thinking Caps on the kitchen counter. 

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 February 24, 18:58:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eating out of the trashcan when there's a fully stocked fridge easily accessible in the house. My former mayor's kid, Colin Henry, used to trashdive in the can kept in a cupboard off the kitchen in the manse when he would visit. Since he was a poor farmer and I'd rarely leave food out, I could buy that. But doing so at his own home?

Customers will complain about old newspapers in a home business. My home businesses usually get maids, excepting the Corelli shack...if you're paying $5/hour to shoot hoops in the yard and spin vinyl on a dj booth on the driveway, you can't expect much.

Pescado has a cap rack. Somewhere. Here.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 February 24, 22:43:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's a tip: You can entirely avoid newspapers, including the whining about the old newspapers by burying 3 of them someplace inaccessible. If there are at least 3 newspapers on the lot, the paper 12 will never show up (and thus never even be generated), and as a result, none of the 3 newspapers will ever expire. You can use the "makebuyable" hack someplace in test(?) and the old buyable-newspaper collecton, and this will let you bury newspapers, unsubscribing from this nuisance. Alternatively, if you don't hate NPC 12s clogging up the works as much as I do, just pick up the newspapers anytime you see them, before they expire, and stuff them into your sim's inventory. When you have 3, bury them under the foundation or the roof. No more newspapers.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
DrNerd
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 February 25, 01:17:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

DJSSims has a hack that automatically recycles the newspapers, if you use them for job-hunting or some other nefarious purposes, and therefore want fresh papers every day.  A few Sim-hours after the new paper is dropped off, the old one either fades away, or composts itself if you have a composter on the lot.  I don't use the newspapers for job-hunting very often, but the free compost with no work is nice, especially in the winter when I can't see through the snow to make the Sims pick the papers up themselves.

Exiled
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 February 25, 05:32:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried the stop newspaper hack at MTS2, but it literally broke my inventory system.  I couldn't stuff anything in there and whenever my Sims put leftovers in the fridge they woudln't be saved.  I had to remove it.

Now i use twojeffs' Visitor Controller to ban newspaper delivery lot by lot.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 February 25, 06:09:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to maintain an unsubscribe hack, but it was discontinued after I discovered it was more effective, more portable, and reduced maintenance overhead to just bury live newspapers. With 3 live newspapers, none of them will expire, so the maid will never attempt to clean the buried, inaccessible newspapers. And no 12 will be spawned because you can haz too many newspapers.

tunaisafish
Axe Murderer
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 February 25, 09:06:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My Sims always put the paper back on an available table (if present) when checking the forecast, doing a crossword, and perhaps others.  They never place it on an end-table or coffee table for reading hobby sections.

That's because you have never cancelled the crossword or forecast, and you always cancel the reading before they stop on their own due to low motives.
There's basically no difference in the code with regard to 'put away' tidiness.
So if there were another way to cancel the reading, then that minor annoyance would be dust.  See .sig

And no 12 will be spawned because you can haz too many newspapers.

I assume that you'd still get the 12 spawned to deliver hobby mag's,  or to make the subscription call.

What's gotten annoying is that the paperboy/girl will hike all the way to your front door now and plop it down instead of at the mailbox.  And any walk-bys who want to read it will do the same.

I find that annoying too.  I keep forgetting to lock the gates to see if that makes a difference (on those lots that have them anyway).
Neder @ MTS2 has a hack that nukes the visitors reading the paper.  Not sure about compatibility. I'm told still works fine with M&G. Thanks CandyToast.
There's probably a few ways of attacking that one with a hack.

ETA: Neder's hack compatibility.
« Last Edit: 2009 March 01, 04:54:54 by tunaisafish » Logged

Strangel
Nitwitted Nuisance

Strangelet watches Star Wars with an iPhone. Geek.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2009 February 25, 09:52:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd use the Makebuyable hack if I could find it.

Jelendra: Welcome to the dark side. We have Eric. [True Blood Thread]
[14:26] notovny: Indeed. Pepperidge Farm Breakfast Kittens are delicious.
Om-Nom-Nomed as Throat of #grah 08.07.08 ISFP
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 February 25, 11:57:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I assume that you'd still get the 12 spawned to deliver hobby mag's,  or to make the subscription call.
I've never called for either of those things and am unclear as to what their actual BENEFITS are, so I've never seen a 12 deliver that, either. Is it the same annoying 12?

phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 February 25, 12:36:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never called for either of those things and am unclear as to what their actual BENEFITS are, so I've never seen a 12 deliver that, either. Is it the same annoying 12?

Seems to me that the chief hobby person is the one who makes the subscription call, but it's the same 12 in the yellow news-delivery outfit who delivers the magazine.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 February 25, 12:52:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh. I never order the magazines anyway. What do they even DO?

caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 February 25, 12:53:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seems to me that the chief hobby person is the one who makes the subscription call, but it's the same 12 in the yellow news-delivery outfit who delivers the magazine.

If you reject the subscription call, you get a pop up featuring the news delivery 12 saying you can call to subscribe if you change your mind.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 February 25, 12:54:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah. Thank goodness for Phone Hack, then. I never answer the phone! Although I suppose I should look into stomping this so that no sims are spawned.

tunaisafish
Axe Murderer
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 February 25, 12:57:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The benefits of the hobby mags are high, as the mag has a base enth. gain rate of 200... best rate in the game as far as I know.

caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 February 25, 13:02:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The benefits of the hobby mags are high, as the mag has a base enth. gain rate of 200... best rate in the game as far as I know.

I want a magazine that reduces enthusiasm, especially for Food. Even with your food enthusiasm mod, tuna, I have too many Sims obsessing over food, patting their bellies.
tunaisafish
Axe Murderer
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 February 25, 13:12:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you use the overhaul too? If you don't then try that as it will help your sims concentrate on their OTH.  You can turn gain off completely for spam hobbies with that.
If you already do then it's probably better to move discussion of that back to the sporum thread so we don't hijack this one.

caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 February 25, 13:16:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think I am using your overhaul, but if I can turn off gain in non-wanted hobbies with it, I'll go grab it now. Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: