More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 11:16:48

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Who's getting the x-mas pack?
0 Members and 4 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Who's getting the x-mas pack?  (Read 123488 times)
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Who's getting the x-mas pack?
« Reply #25 on: 2005 November 14, 15:04:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have no intention of buying it. Like 25 bucks or whatever (I'm Canadian) for a bunch of objects that will probably be all over the exchange within a week anyway.

I completely agree - I'm sure someone will be so kind as to upload a lot that includes every single object anyway (I already have them lined up *cough*)
I can do that after I recieve my copy any one for an empty house with the nothing but holiday items?

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
virgali
Malodorous Moron

Do you see a midget Hitler?!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2005 November 16, 10:17:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just came back from the official sites and it's stated that reposting is concidered piracy! Shocked And that nothing should be uploaded to the exchange etc. Roll Eyes

Do you need someone to organize your sock drawer?
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2005 November 16, 13:14:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really? No shit!?  Roll Eyes

Well people will do it anyway. They've uploaded the hotrod. They've uploaded stuff from paysites. People have extracted objects from NL and Univerisity and uploaded them so you can get them with just the base game etc.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Charamei
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2005 November 16, 13:42:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heck no.

Even if it weren't pay, and unfair on those who got the game last year, and all thwe other fine points that others have raised, I'm incredibly anal about not connecting my Sims to the 'real' world. I even refuse to download clothing/items with English script on them. Christmas does not happen in Simworld. Llama Day, however...

What can I say, I prefer the wacky/fantasy aspect... with a dose of soap opera, yes, but only a dose.

I still miss Makin' Magic, though.  Pro rata, I don't think they've equalled that yet.
Hear hear. I'm greatly looking forward to Open for Business, but I really hope we get a TS2 Makin' Magic after that.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2005 November 16, 15:21:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really? No shit!?  Roll Eyes

Well people will do it anyway. They've uploaded the hotrod. They've uploaded stuff from paysites. People have extracted objects from NL and Univerisity and uploaded them so you can get them with just the base game etc.
your'e right Motoki I downloaded a house the other day and what did it contain? you geussed it the Hot Rod!I also Downloaded a house that was suposed to be only for base game owner and it contained  Uni and nightlife Items.annyhoo my  holiday pack shipped today  from the EA Store so it will be here in my hands next week .

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2005 November 16, 19:32:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just came back from the official sites and it's stated that reposting is concidered piracy! Shocked And that nothing should be uploaded to the exchange etc. Roll Eyes

You're kidding, right? lol
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2005 November 16, 19:34:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're kidding, right? lol
leave it to ea to claim that Tongue

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2005 November 16, 19:35:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A couple of weeks after the hotrod got uploaded to the exchange, I noticed that slowly they were all going away.  I doubt it was the creators removing them, unless they were told to officially.  I bet it will be the same with this - the quicker you are to download the lot, the better chance you have of getting it.  What are they going to do - sue some 10-year-old kid for uploading that stuff?
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2005 November 16, 19:40:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A couple of weeks after the hotrod got uploaded to the exchange, I noticed that slowly they were all going away.  I doubt it was the creators removing them, unless they were told to officially.  I bet it will be the same with this - the quicker you are to download the lot, the better chance you have of getting it.  What are they going to do - sue some 10-year-old kid for uploading that stuff?
there's a lot up onthe exchange now with the hot rod and second of all there are umpteen Places to upload a lot to that arent the official exchange. its a matter of figuring out how to package the lot into a rar or zip file and once thats done people can email the file or place it else where

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2005 November 16, 19:46:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's no way they can prove intentional piracy unless someone out and out states "Here, I am pirating this". It's quite possible and happens all the time that all sorts of stuff gets accidentally shoved into lot files due to the way the game packs up lots. Many people who upload lots are quite unaware of it and are not doing it on purpose at all. Your average BBSer does not use Sims2pack Clean Installer and has no clue about all the junk being stowed away along with their lots.

Also, you'll have to forgive me if I have little sympathy in their anti-piracy crusade for this. Basically it's like "Merry Christmas, you bought the game early so now you have to pay us $15 for this holiday stuff we're giving away free to new buyers.".  Angry

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2005 November 16, 19:54:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, you'll have to forgive me if I have little sympathy in their anti-piracy crusade for this. Basically it's like "Merry Christmas, you bought the game early so now you have to pay us $15 for this holiday stuff we're giving away free to new buyers.".  Angry

Amen to that.
Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2005 November 16, 20:13:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I feel the same way, but I pre-ordered anyway, and it's in transit.

I'm weak, what else can I say?

BUT, if it turns out that I could have gotten those fireworks FREE in the Give-Away and saved myself $16 (incl. taxes ~ got free shipping), I will still be pissed off. I'll also be pissed off if nothing is recolorable.

Speaking of which, the "Classic Wreath" comes in several colors, so it is recolorable. That made my Mood Bar a little greener.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2005 November 16, 20:17:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I feel the same way, but I pre-ordered anyway, and it's in transit.

I'm weak, what else can I say?

BUT, if it turns out that I could have gotten those fireworks FREE in the Give-Away and saved myself $16 (incl. taxes ~ got free shipping), I will still be pissed off. I'll also be pissed off if nothing is recolorable.

Speaking of which, the "Classic Wreath" comes in several colors, so it is recolorable. That made my Mood Bar a little greener.

mine is in Transit as well and I didnt get free shipping it was offered after I ordered it Angry

Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2005 November 16, 20:45:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, are you thinking what I'm thinking? That overall, this whole Party Pack thing is a collossal fuck up?

The "exclusive" objects we end up with had better be S P E C T A C U L A R.

Roll Eyes
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2005 November 16, 20:48:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, are you thinking what I'm thinking? That overall, this whole Party Pack thing is a collossal fuck up?

The "exclusive" objects we end up with had better be S P E C T A C U L A R.

Roll Eyes
YEP

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2005 November 16, 21:33:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IMO, they should have packed up University with the original game and offered the holiday pack free to everyone. It would have created a lot less hard feelings among the fans that way and pretty much everyone who wants university has it by now. If I were a new buyer, having the package include university would also entice me to buy it a whole lot more than some flimsy holiday pack where half of the stuff is available online for free anyway would.

I guess they figured they could still milk some sales out of university though.  Roll Eyes

Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: 2005 November 16, 22:19:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was thinking of getting it, but they are giving 12 of the 40 new objects away for free, right? That leaves 28 objects for $15? Hmm, I don't know. Money isn't the object here, it's just that I'm unlikely to be incorporating Christmas into my game for very long. I'll have to hear whether these 28 objects are really worth it before I decide for sure.

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2005 November 16, 22:27:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was thinking of getting it, but they are giving 12 of the 40 new objects away for free, right?

Yes, those 12 are included in the 40. As far as I can tell, so are the previously released Christmas tree, Menhorra, Kinara, 3 Halloween decorations and probably the snowman too as they said those holiday items from last year would be in the pack. The didn't explicitly state they were part of the 40, but that's the impression I got.

Some of the new items are also paintings which really aren't any big stink and anyone with 2 minutes can make new paintings with the google image search and SimPE.

I bet you they also include the santa outfit and hat separately towards the 40 count. Tongue

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2005 November 16, 22:35:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right now, being in Canada, there is pretty much nothing they can offer me in this holiday pack that will make me want to buy it.  I can't justify spending $25 (or whatever, after the exchange rate) on some objects.  If I wanted to spend my money on new stuff for my Sims, I would buy a subscription to a pay-site, because at least I can get my money's worth, with the sheer volume of items available on some of those sites. 

Plus, I know I will be able to get all this stuff for free from others who do buy it.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2005 November 16, 22:38:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was thinking of getting it, but they are giving 12 of the 40 new objects away for free, right?

Yes, those 12 are included in the 40. As far as I can tell, so are the previously released Christmas tree, Menhorra, Kinara, 3 Halloween decorations and probably the snowman too as they said those holiday items from last year would be in the pack. The didn't explicitly state they were part of the 40, but that's the impression I got.

Some of the new items are also paintings which really aren't any big stink and anyone with 2 minutes can make new paintings with the google image search and SimPE.

I bet you they also include the santa outfit and hat separately towards the 40 count. Tongue
I cant create a thing except a mess

Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: 2005 November 17, 01:13:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I won't buy it because it's a huge stinkin' marketing ploy, absolutely no motive behind it other than for EA/Maxis to earn a few more bucks!  I bought TS2 when it came out because I love the game.  I bought NL when it came out because it offered things I wanted.

If people feel this party pack thing is a good buy and it's something they really want, then they should buy it but I still feel like those who've already bought their game before this Christmas are getting completely ripped off.

Also, there's the whole value thing.  I paid $30 for NL which offered oodles of new objects, great interactions and much-needed dimension to my game.  Considering what the party pack contains, again, it's a rip-off.

As for the piracy issue, Maxis has a valid point.  This is stuff they've created and acquisition by any other means than purchasing it legally is software piracy. 

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2005 November 17, 01:16:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yet if their own software is the thing that's responsible for its distribution in the first place, they can't really rightly complain. After all, everyone knows the Exchange is pretty much a garbage collector of everything Sims-related. There's simply no way for the typical user to stop it from sucking up everything they have on their hard drives and packing it along.

Why, it's even been know to steal office documents!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: 2005 November 17, 01:29:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yet if their own software is the thing that's responsible for its distribution in the first place, they can't really rightly complain. After all, everyone knows the Exchange is pretty much a garbage collector of everything Sims-related. There's simply no way for the typical user to stop it from sucking up everything they have on their hard drives and packing it along.

Why, it's even been know to steal office documents!

You've got a point there!  The site software is absolutely horrid.  I rarely upload anything to it for fear of what it's going to suck out of my PC.  Even so I don't think I'd feel comfortable about accidentally-on-purposely downloading the content.

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2005 November 17, 01:41:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Misty: You deserve the Gali Goody-Goody of the week award. Wink

Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2005 November 17, 01:43:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even so I don't think I'd feel comfortable about accidentally-on-purposely downloading the content.

Precisely why I ordered it. I may end up feeling like a chump, but I'll feel like an honest chump.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: