More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 17:52:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Serious Business
| |-+  Secret Desert Headquarters
| | |-+  Spore Discussions
| | | |-+  If I own a legal copy of Spore is it legal to download DRM free copy?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: If I own a legal copy of Spore is it legal to download DRM free copy?  (Read 8743 times)
chknflvrdramen
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
If I own a legal copy of Spore is it legal to download DRM free copy?
« on: 2009 February 13, 03:36:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We got Spore the day it came out, before all this scandalous DRM info was about. The computer we originally installed it on was old and could barely handle the game, and has since died. We now have a shiny new computer. I don't fully understand all this DRM stuff I'm reading about, but the idea I have is that Spore installs a separate program that messes with operating systems and can only be removed by reformatting the hard drive? So I don't want to install it on my shiny new computer because I hear all these bad things. I also hear that there are "reputable" (as reputable as a pirate can be I guess) places to download the game, even patched versions, obviously without the DRM. My question is since I own a legal copy of the game, if someone could recommend a place to download a patched virus and spyware free version of the game, would it still be illegal? If it's not, other than the whole installing a program without the consumer's consent thing, how bad is the Spore DRM really? I also have read a few things about DRM issues with Sims 2 eps. I haven't installed TS2 on my new computer yet, before I do should I be worried about the DRM on any of those? Sorry I know these are probably dumb but I have tried reading up on this and I just don't get all the technical stuff.
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
Re: If I own a legal copy of Spore is it legal to download DRM free copy?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 February 13, 04:42:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
chknflvrdramen
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 February 13, 04:46:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No to everything? As in you read the whole thing and no I should not worry about the DRM in any Sims 2 eps?
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 February 13, 05:15:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No...there are other ways to remove it than reformatting the harddrive. Read the sticky in the Podium.
No...it would not still be illegal as long as you are using only one copy, but technically the legality is fuzzy.
No...you should not want the DRM, because it likes to do things like render your CD-ROM drive unusable, disable completely unrelated programs/games, and generally be an ass. Or not. It's just snazzy and unpredictable like that.
No...don't be running your Sims2 without getting a no-CD crack.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
chknflvrdramen
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 February 13, 05:22:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Awesome, thank you very much for your help.
chknflvrdramen
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 February 13, 05:51:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am truly an asinine airhead. I checked out gamecopyworld, found Fairlight, here is where I'm confused... do I install the game from the CD and then just need the no-CD crack to play the game? Or does the no-CD crack install the game and I never even have to put the disc in my computer at all?
rosess
Dimwitted Dunce

I caught you a deelishus bass

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 February 13, 05:59:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am truly an asinine airhead. I checked out gamecopyworld, found Fairlight, here is where I'm confused... do I install the game from the CD and then just need the no-CD crack to play the game?
That's right.  Now do like Zazazu said and
Read the sticky in the Podium
before someone squishes you.
MrMugg
Corpulent Cretin

Wanna c a magik trik?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 February 13, 19:12:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1) Rename the original "exe" file.
2) Copy over the No-CD crack/patch.  That is what makes it DRM free.  The DRM is in the original "exe" file.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 February 13, 19:29:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No...it would not still be illegal as long as you are using only one copy, but technically the legality is fuzzy.

The legality only has fuzzy letters.  Since there's no judge or prosecutor in the U.S. or Canada (nor EU probably, but not as sure of that) that would allow pursuit of something like this, it really doesn't matter.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: