More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:11:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Reducing the Size of Your Sims 2 Installation
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Reducing the Size of Your Sims 2 Installation  (Read 60969 times)
Selesen
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Reducing the Size of Your Sims 2 Installation
« Reply #25 on: 2009 June 03, 05:11:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So this stuff is definitely of interest to me, because I'm on a Mac and am thus dealing with the file limit. I raised it, but it's refusing to be raised any more and this is frustrating to my custom-content addicted self. Anyway, I have a question.
Basically I don't appear to have a TSBin, CSbin, or Support folders, all I have is TSData. Since it's been this way every time I've ever installed Sims on any computer, I assume this is a difference between the Mac and PC versions. (I also did a search to see if they were hiding in any sneaky spots on my computer, and it looks like that's not the case.) So I'm wondering if there's anything more in TSData that can be deleted without game implosion.
The specific thing I'm curious about is the N001, 2 and 3 folders in TSData>Res>Userdata>Neighborhoods. I have all the clean templates etc. installed, and N001 is renamed to prevent spawning townies. Since I've deleted these 'hoods from the game and don't ever plan to respawn them, surely it would be okay to delete them? Same question about the tutorial 'hood in the same place, as long as I never click on the tutorial button, the game shouldn't complain if I delete that, right?
Blizzaird
Asinine Airhead

If only I were better with photoshop...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009 June 23, 04:39:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know much about macs but the only reason you to rename the N001 folder instead of deleting it is to have a back up. So if you never want it, go ahead and delete it. Probably fine to axe the tutorial too, but if you want to be sure just rename it and run the game. If it's all good, go ahead and delete it. If it buggers up, just name it back.
ninjeia
Tasty Tourist

Hell's Lucifer's Sim God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 2009 August 08, 18:38:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm wondering, maybe out of stupidity or curiosity, if you delete all the locals except say English, will the sims speak English?

In the World of/Power and Knowledge/I am/the Victor/In the World of/Disaster and Death/I am/Its Poison/Some People Think/I'm Alive/But I'm Really/Just a Memory
Tamha
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009 August 08, 19:16:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The sims all speak Simlish, the locales is for the users so that they can read the text and such in the game. It has no effect on the sounds the sims make or words they speak.

A mean person laughs with you because they don't really mean it. A really mean person just laughs at you.
pentabet
Blathering Buffoon

Do I look a little sallow to you?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009 August 16, 22:09:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OP: "...TSData/Res/Movies there is an annoying abomination named "ealogo_audio.movie"... Delete them..."

tunaisafish: "You don't need to stop at just the logo movies.  Delete that annoying intro .movie too (the one that you probably 'escape' as soon as you see).
I can't remember the exact name."

---Is the intro movie this (intro_eng_audio -MOVIE file)?  May I delete it?

INFJ.  European Leo.  Chinese Pig.  Neat Freak.  Control Freak.  Simmer.  WoWer.  Bookworm.  B-Movie Addict.
I have many Anonymous meetings that I attend.
Don't judge me!
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009 August 17, 00:06:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, that's the one.
By the way, has anyone tried deleting the CarryForward.sgfiles.package files? They seem to just contain stuff from previous expansion packs, so I'm wondering if you have all of them it would be okay to get rid of them. That would be another 395MB off the installation. Something else that I don't see mentioned that I have done, is to delete the splash.package files. The neat thing is you can keep the one from your favorite expansion pack and then it'll use that one when starting up. Or just delete all of them and not have to hear the annoying loop over and over.
« Last Edit: 2009 August 17, 00:21:21 by Simsbaby » Logged

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
jonas
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009 August 17, 11:02:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dude, just deleting those things from the first 3 steps saved me 2.2 GB!!! That's freakin' awesome! - Already playtested the game as well and everything appears just fine.  Thank you!
raptureswild
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009 December 30, 02:56:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, I know necromancy is bad, mmkay, slap me.

What if there is no "English" folder in my locales?  Obviously my game is installed in English (maybe not so obviously)... so this leaves some of my locale folders empty.  I may be replying to this if my game doesn't work...
Chain_Reaction
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009 December 30, 07:28:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, I know necromancy is bad, mmkay, slap me.

What if there is no "English" folder in my locales?  Obviously my game is installed in English (maybe not so obviously)... so this leaves some of my locale folders empty.  I may be replying to this if my game doesn't work...

None of my EPs or SPs have an English folder, just the base game. Heaven knows what it's pulling from but my game works and isn't speaking to me in a foreign language so I'm not going to question it.
raptureswild
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010 January 01, 12:02:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Agreed.  I deleted all but the "English" folder in the base game and my game was fine.  I know others were able to save more but I got 1.56 gigs free from the first "easy" steps.  However, there are several stuff packs I don't have installed, which is probably the reason.
Aquilegia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: 2010 January 03, 17:36:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This might be obvious, but I managed to brainfart it at one point and cause myself unnecessary pain, so I figure it's worth a warning--the game is somewhat bizarrely picky about what must be there for installation of another SP/EP. Help files might be okay to delete, but old update files definitely aren't and will make the installer throw a hissy fit when it's almost done. Not a problem for anyone who has all of the SP/EPs (or all that they want), but definitely something to be wary of otherwise.
froginsox
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010 February 06, 12:00:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, that's the one.
By the way, has anyone tried deleting the CarryForward.sgfiles.package files? They seem to just contain stuff from previous expansion packs, so I'm wondering if you have all of them it would be okay to get rid of them. That would be another 395MB off the installation. Something else that I don't see mentioned that I have done, is to delete the splash.package files. The neat thing is you can keep the one from your favorite expansion pack and then it'll use that one when starting up. Or just delete all of them and not have to hear the annoying loop over and over.

The Carryforward.sgfile from K&B stuff is needed for the recolors of the toy oven...don't know of any other issues
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: