More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 11:03:25

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Oops! QuickTime broke it! (Mac issue)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Oops! QuickTime broke it! (Mac issue)  (Read 12635 times)
sudaki
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Oops! QuickTime broke it! (Mac issue)
« on: 2009 January 25, 05:24:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I installed the QuickTime 7.6 upgrade today and it appears to be causing BV to crash on launch (I didn't change anything else, and removing my downloads/deleting groups.cache/clean install didn't help).  Can any other Mac users confirm or deny?  God dammit. Tongue
somnambulist
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Oops! QuickTime broke it! (Mac issue)
« Reply #1 on: 2009 January 25, 05:42:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I no longer have a Mac install of TS2 so this is a long shot: Aspyr has their launch movie saved out as a QuickTime file. Find that file and rename it -- the game is smart enough to gracefully skip the launch movie if it can't be found.
sudaki
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 January 25, 06:14:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I no longer have a Mac install of TS2 so this is a long shot: Aspyr has their launch movie saved out as a QuickTime file. Find that file and rename it -- the game is smart enough to gracefully skip the launch movie if it can't be found.
Doesn't seem to help.  It isn't even getting that far -- it crashes before it even appeared to do anything (click on the icon, it would blink a few times as though it were going to start, and then nothing).  Thanks, though.
somnambulist
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 January 25, 06:46:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At least it looks like you are not alone. (And really... set aside a Bootcamp partition and play in Windows. Aspyr is just concentrated shit when it comes to EA ports)
sudaki
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 January 25, 07:32:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At least it looks like you are not alone. (And really... set aside a Bootcamp partition and play in Windows. Aspyr is just concentrated shit when it comes to EA ports)
Yep, downgrading QuickTime did the trick.  Flargle.  This happened before, too, with QuickTime.  At least Aspyr released the patch for that one pretty fast.

And thanks for the suggestion, but I don't want to have to a) deal with Windows and b) buy all the games over again.  Tongue  Besides, this way, by the time the Mac ports are released EA has quelled the SERIOUSLY major bugs and Pescado has fixed the rest. 
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 January 27, 22:35:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

b) buy all the games over again.
ARR! Besides, by the time Aspyr gets the next expansion pack out you'll be able to get The Sims 2 Complete Collection in the bargain bin for $9.99.  Tongue

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
somnambulist
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 January 30, 04:56:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ARR! Besides, by the time Aspyr gets the next expansion pack out you'll be able to get The Sims 2 Complete Collection in the bargain bin for $9.99.  Tongue

You don't even need to Arrr... the base game and early expansion/stuff packs are bargain-bin material already and the rest can be cheaply obtained via Craigslist or eBay. Easily (legally) obtainable for less than USD150 (aka three Aspyr-priced EPs...)
Julix
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 February 10, 18:47:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is ok now! At least for me  Wink I've got quicktime 7.6 and my game (BV) works great!  Huh
sudaki
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 February 10, 22:05:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aspyr indicates the issue is only with Quicktime 7.6 in OS 10.4.x.  If you're running 10.5.x, you're good.
Tikkititi
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 February 12, 15:24:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And really... set aside a Bootcamp partition and play in Windows. Aspyr is just concentrated shit when it comes to EA ports)

Could anyone who has done this tell me if they're getting securom-related problems on the Mac side? I'm already in the process of setting up a windows partition in order to play Oblivion, so I might as well use it for the Sims, as well. I want those last expansion packs!

Edited for grammar
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 February 12, 21:44:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You really oughta google.  There aren't that many mac users here to be able to get a good idea of what could happen.

Generally, you can let your windows partition be riddled to hell with suckrom, and it won't affect OS X.  Unless suckrom burns out your media drive, that is.  There are some hardware failures attributed to it on windows-only platforms, but I don't know of any on bootcamp partitions with windows.

I strongly suggest you just use no-CD cracks from the beginning to avoid the butthurt.  If you haven't the faintest what I'm talking about, I suggest even more strongly that you stop yourself from asking about cracks and suckrom.  There's a sticky in Podium where you can edumacate yourself.
professorbutters
Humourless Egghead
Lipless Loser

Humourless Priss

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 February 12, 22:11:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You really oughta google.  There aren't that many mac users here to be able to get a good idea of what could happen.

Generally, you can let your windows partition be riddled to hell with suckrom, and it won't affect OS X.  Unless suckrom burns out your media drive, that is.  There are some hardware failures attributed to it on windows-only platforms, but I don't know of any on bootcamp partitions with windows.

I strongly suggest you just use no-CD cracks from the beginning to avoid the butthurt.  If you haven't the faintest what I'm talking about, I suggest even more strongly that you stop yourself from asking about cracks and suckrom.  There's a sticky in Podium where you can edumacate yourself.

There may be a sticky in the Podium about cracks and Securom, yes, and yes, it is advisable to read it, but I don't see any problem with Mac players asking about Mac-related problems.  In fact, I'm going to go so far as to say that is bullshit, because in fact there are things about playing on Macs that only another Mac player would know, and there are some of us on this board, and some of us aren't as snotty about it as you are. 

Tikkititi, as far as I know, there aren't any Securom-related issues on Macs.  What it comes down to is how attached you are to your media drive and how much you would care if it fried.  The windows partition may be the only bit that's affected, but replacing media drives on a Mac is a real bitch, even if it's under warranty.  And a lot of the time, if I have a Mac related issue, I go to the Mac section on the BBS.  It's the only section I ever read.  Yes, the BBS is the BBS and it is full of a lot of 12s asking about how they can get TWINS!!111!!!, but the Mac section sometimes does have helpful info for people who play on Macs, or a windows partition on a Mac.  And at least there you are not as likely to run into bullshit religious fervor about running the frickin' game on a Windoze partition using a no-CD crack, which has issues of its own. (See above.)

Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 February 12, 22:16:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm playing TS2 on BootCamp since FT, and I've got the usual DVD-not-working suckiness from SecuROM, at first, but only on Windows; on the Mac side everything went ok. I had apparently SecuROM in MAC preferences, too, but I deleted those data entries and at least I didn't have any issue.

I suggest you to play TS2 in Windows, although I loathe that OS, even if you don't plan to install FT, AL or M&G: Aspyr porting addeed other crap - although not too much - to TS2 built-in bugfest. Plus, in the Windows version you may AT LAST watch your sims properly antialiased, the bumpmapping at work and the x-ray cursor on snow, if you have Seasons.

In any case, do what seelindarun said: ALWAYS use a no-cd crack; NEVER run TS2 as is, or from the launcher.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
somnambulist
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 February 13, 05:44:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could anyone who has done this tell me if they're getting securom-related problems on the Mac side?

Windows can't even see HFS+ partitions without 3rd party software -- securom cannot fuck up what it cannot see.

Unless suckrom burns out your media drive, that is. 

If you want to be truly paranoid, don't do the install when booted into Windows -- do it in a VMWare or Parallels session that's virtualizing your Bootcamp partition. That way Windows has no direct hardware access to the optical drive.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 February 13, 19:53:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And a lot of the time, if I have a Mac related issue, I go to the Mac section on the BBS.  It's the only section I ever read.  Yes, the BBS is the BBS and it is full of a lot of 12s asking about how they can get TWINS!!111!!!, but the Mac section sometimes does have helpful info for people who play on Macs, or a windows partition on a Mac.  And at least there you are not as likely to run into bullshit religious fervor about running the frickin' game on a Windoze partition using a no-CD crack, which has issues of its own. (See above.)

You really oughta read more.
The OP had already decided to run the frickin' game on a Windoze partition in his/her religious fervor.  That is why I answered the way I did.

My advice is practical as well as snotty.  If you're worried about what might happen to your mac, it's generally a good idea to look past your nose and poll more than 4 people.
Tikkititi
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 February 13, 23:39:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The OP had already decided to run the frickin' game on a Windoze partition in his/her religious fervor.  That is why I answered the way I did.

My advice is practical as well as snotty.  If you're worried about what might happen to your mac, it's generally a good idea to look past your nose and poll more than 4 people.

OK. Whoa. No.

If this is me you're referring to, I'm not the OP. I just barged into someone else's thread asking my questions (sorry, Sudaki!). Also, I have never been religiously fervent in my life, thankyouverymuch.

I have not "made my mind up to play the frickin' game on a windoze partition", as you'd notice if you'd read my post. Read more, indeed. I was merely *asking questions* about playing on a windows partition. As for googling and polling more than four people, how do you know I didn't? I decided to ask my question here, as well as in other forums, because, well it's a Sims forum. Frequented by a few knowledgable mac-users.

Anyway, more importantly, I didn't want to post just to say thanks, but, Marhis and somnambulist,  your advice was very helpful. And professorbutters,  the BBS, helpful, eh? Who knew? Cheers!
« Last Edit: 2009 February 13, 23:52:50 by Tikkititi » Logged
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 February 16, 20:56:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm already in the process of setting up a windows partition in order to play Oblivion, so I might as well use it for the Sims, as well.

This is you saying you have already decided.  Though I read your post, I can't read your mind no matter how hard I try.  So sorry.
I also regret that I do not have a tracking device for your every movement, so if you'd already anticipated my advice, that's great for you.  If not, well it's your computer.  I assume anyone who posts here can make their own choices, and will live with them.

Second, reading involves COMPREHENSION as well as parsing the grammar.  What do you suppose it could possibly mean, that I mimicked the prof's own phrases word for word?
Tikkititi
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 February 16, 21:32:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Where do you see me saying I've decided to play the Sims on a Windows partition?

I'm already in the process of setting up a windows partition in order to play Oblivion, so I might as well use it for the Sims, as well.

This is me saying I have decided to play Oblivion on my Windows partition. So far, I'm only asking for advice about the Sims. Good Lord.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: