More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 19:41:24

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Computer not powering up right ...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Computer not powering up right ...  (Read 3494 times)
cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
Computer not powering up right ...
« on: 2009 February 16, 13:53:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You all were so ever helpful the last time I had computer issues(random shutdowns - turned out to be the powersupply) that I thought I would ask here again.

The same computer that was randomly shutting down on me before is not not powering up correctly - basically it 1/2 powers up(I can hear the fans running but that's all it does). Is it the power supply again?

To fix it I have to unplug it and wait about 20 seconds and then plug it back in - then it powers up fine. I had the power supply in it replaced a couple years ago(or was it 3 years ago?) but would consider just buying another basic system if this is the problem again. It's the computer my 5 & 8 year old use.

Cass Smiley

I'm an apathetic sociopath, I'd kill you if I cared.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Computer not powering up right ...
« Reply #1 on: 2009 February 16, 14:37:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check your plugs, are the lines to the motherboard properly seated?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
theresatv
Asinine Airhead

Transvestite Annoyance

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 February 16, 16:32:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would put this system on death watch. I had an antique (1994 vintage) computer that behaved similarly for a while and it eventually had a fatal hard-drive controller failure. Tightening/cleaning connections might help, but the prognosis does not sound good. You might want to look for a second-hand or liquidated old-stock computer, as new ones will almost certainly come with Vista and that might make migrating your nippers' applications a pain.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 February 16, 16:59:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

NEVER BUY PREMADE COMPUTERS. Period. Always buy and assemble from parts. It saves you money, avoids substandard proprietary crap, and avoids pesky nonexistent driver issues.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2009 February 16, 17:32:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I will open it and check connections - the system is a custom build from a friend of my husband's, so yeah built from parts Smiley

Thank you both very much for the replies - the shop we normally deal with and have bought two systems(they build them) from so far has some reasonable basic systems(no keyboard/monitor/mouse) for in the $500 range that I will have to look into getting - it's almost time to get them separate computers like everyone else in the house.

Cass Smiley

I'm an apathetic sociopath, I'd kill you if I cared.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: