More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 18:50:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  TS3 L&P
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TS3 L&P  (Read 305855 times)
talysman
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: TS3 L&P
« Reply #50 on: 2008 December 19, 09:10:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I point to the Legal Threatz as proof that there is no such relationship with any paysites, at least not currently. EA was concerned only with links (to a website that Pescado does not own) for downloading their garbage products, but made no comment about downloads (available on a website Pescado does own) for garbage garbage from paysites.
zherok
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2008 December 19, 10:20:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why did you specifically mention TSR?  Do you know about a definite link between EA and TSR beyond the rumours I mentioned?
I think it was just speculation on the part of the people who linked to the BBS. Something about how the Maxoid worded the ban to the Booty or something.

Aha, found it: http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?threadID=4e81567021bcc3744668c12a5a66d0f5&directoryID=2&startRow=1&openItemID=item.2,item.104,item.41,item.127,item.23#fbe743ae7dba176013c319ba0b97704c

"A lot of our Simmers have been posting links to PaySitesMustBeDestroyed which is not ok. This site often posts content that is either from our TS2 Store or from partner sites which are pay/subscription based. This is considered linking to pirated content."

I've probably clicked around too much to reasonably find the thread that linked me there, but I believe the TSR connection was just a guess from the thread that brought me to the Maxoid post. Like, "Partner sites? Must be TSR!" that sorta thing. Nothing definite.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2008 December 19, 10:41:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The thing is that nowhere has EA stated who these partner sites are or how the partnership affects simmers.  Speculation and rumours will continue until EA state who their partner sites are, and how these partnerships affect simmers.

What I've heard is most likely is that the EULA will be differently worded for TS3, and that the only creators able to develop CC will have to be in partnership with EA or licensed by them in some form.  EA have seen how willing simmers are to pay for CC and now they want their piece of the pie (as was demonstrated by the introduction of their online store).  EA conducted a survey a while back regarding CC sites, nearly all the sites listed in the survey were pay sites, and many sites with free content (such as MATY, Simbology, MTS2, GOS, InSim, SimLogical) were not included in the survey.  If EA do go down the route of limiting who can produce CC, they will be killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

If PMBD were doing something illegal, I'm sure EA would have sent their lawyers after them for the content that is hosted there.  Instead, their lawyers sent a letter to MATY regarding content that is NOT hosted here.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
zherok
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2008 December 19, 11:30:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not too worried yet. There's just too many details they'd have to work on, and the rewards seem pretty damn obvious to be worse than potential gains. Their store is pretty damn benign compared to TSR, and I doubt they could get away with giving you imaginary points for creating content and expect to regulate it with any relevance, ala Peggy G Zone, especially if they made it the ONLY way to get content.

They know sharing is a huge thing, they know that people are willing to spend millions of man-hours producing free shit for their game. TSR can't be that lucrative that they're willing to irreparably damage their IP to emulate it as the only way to get stuff. It's a given that any large restriction would kill a lot of the incentive to create stuff.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2008 December 19, 20:07:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, it turns out that EA is a sinking ship, according to the CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/12/19/ea-blackbox.html

I love the last line of that article, "The announcements come a week after EA said it was cancelling plans to open a new studio in Vancouver and after the company lowered its expectation for revenue and earnings for the 2009 fiscal year." Isn't this tantamount to admitting defeat about TS3 before it even comes out?

Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2008 December 19, 21:47:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I saw a recent gameplay trailer I was stunned at the extent of how much of The Sims 3 has been recycled from The Sims 2. Not surprised, as I figured it would probably happen, but not quite as much as what I saw.

Interesting to see the EA spokesperson is called Colin Macrae. Unless EA are now "reanimating" dead corpses to save on expenses or something .
talysman
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2008 December 19, 22:59:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"A lot of our Simmers have been posting links to PaySitesMustBeDestroyed which is not ok. This site often posts content that is either from our TS2 Store or from partner sites which are pay/subscription based. This is considered linking to pirated content."
I don't think this means TSR is partnered with EA. It probably means the website is partnered with the official Sims website. The quoted comment is about website/bbs policy, not EA's business policy.
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2008 December 19, 23:48:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I saw a recent gameplay trailer I was stunned at the extent of how much of The Sims 3 has been recycled from The Sims 2. Not surprised, as I figured it would probably happen, but not quite as much as what I saw.

Actually it makes sense to do development using existing content as it's quicker and cheaper. It also gives the target audience a reference point to compare with, which can of course be a bit of a double-edged sword. I'd wait and see just how much of what we're getting in trailers makes it into the final game.

seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2008 December 19, 23:58:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Given that the game is still months away at best, anything written is speculative.  If you cared about being perfectly accurate, you couldn't say anything at all.

I think EA lost control of TS2.  At some point, when it is possible to customise skins, lighting, replace every bit of default content, and produce custom animations, it is fair to say the game no longer looks or feels like the one EA shipped.  One of the forgotten requirements of owning a copyright is the owner's responsibility to vigorously defend it against infringement.  If Rolex didn't regularly pursue the vendors of counterfeits, they could actually lose ownership of their mark.

I'm not saying that EA has actually lost anything, nor that it matters now that TS2 is at its end.  No machinima artist has tried to profit using TS2.  However, I think they could probably mount a fair argument in court that they also have a claim to ownership, if all of the visible content is user-created.  From EA's point of view, this is not a position they'd want to find themselves in again with TS3.  While a large and lively community of CC creators does help sell the game, there's also a rational incentive to keep it within limits.
zherok
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2008 December 20, 00:17:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love the last line of that article, "The announcements come a week after EA said it was cancelling plans to open a new studio in Vancouver and after the company lowered its expectation for revenue and earnings for the 2009 fiscal year." Isn't this tantamount to admitting defeat about TS3 before it even comes out?
You have to consider the size of EA, the Sims alone couldn't sustain the entire company. It's like Activision/Blizzard. Everyone knows WoW is going to be a success, but it's a company bigger than just one game. I would think even a shitty Sims 3 would sell well, at least at first.
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2008 December 20, 10:25:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually it makes sense to do development using existing content as it's quicker and cheaper. It also gives the target audience a reference point to compare with, which can of course be a bit of a double-edged sword. I'd wait and see just how much of what we're getting in trailers makes it into the final game.
Oh yes, that's what I thought. Things like the sounds and stuff are probably just placeholders. But the basic mechanics of the UI and game engine seems so similar to The Sims 2...
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2008 December 20, 11:58:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think EA lost control of TS2.  At some point, when it is possible to customise skins, lighting, replace every bit of default content, and produce custom animations, it is fair to say the game no longer looks or feels like the one EA shipped.  One of the forgotten requirements of owning a copyright is the owner's responsibility to vigorously defend it against infringement.  If Rolex didn't regularly pursue the vendors of counterfeits, they could actually lose ownership of their mark.
It doesn't work that way. Reskinning Microsoft Windoze doesn't let you claim copyright over it, either.

I'm not saying that EA has actually lost anything, nor that it matters now that TS2 is at its end.  No machinima artist has tried to profit using TS2.  However, I think they could probably mount a fair argument in court that they also have a claim to ownership, if all of the visible content is user-created.  From EA's point of view, this is not a position they'd want to find themselves in again with TS3.  While a large and lively community of CC creators does help sell the game, there's also a rational incentive to keep it within limits.
Doesn't work that way. All your content are belong to EAxis.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2008 December 20, 15:36:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A EULA is only as good as your ability to defend it in court.  I didn't mean that anyone could claim ownership of the game by modding it.  I meant that if you made a video using TS2, in which all of the creative content was user-created esp. animations, you might be able to claim copyright (in whole or part) of the video.  A test case like that is only feasible because EA permitted a massive quantity and variety of CC to be made in the first place.
zherok
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2008 December 20, 16:24:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think even the most customized copy of the Sims 2 would have any chance in court of being mistaken for a different game entirely. Animations in particular aren't terribly common as far as custom content is concerned, and they're usually pretty primitive compared to the originals. Either way, you'd have a hard time avoiding using default animation in a video of any decent length. You could get a whole bunch of custom furniture, grab custom clothes meshes for everyone, use custom eyes, makeup, bajillion polygon hair, and your game would still look close enough to the original that someone only passingly familiar with the thing would know what it was.
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2008 December 20, 18:29:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting to see the EA spokesperson is called Colin Macrae. Unless EA are now "reanimating" dead corpses to save on expenses or something .

You rang?

I will fuck up your face in Denmark! COME! you also seem to be a flock of crapped nerds! COME! [...] That one goes to all of those retarrds that pretend to be a non-fag and yet suck my balls
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2008 December 20, 20:56:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wait, what? Colin died?! When did that happen? Bummer!

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
zherok
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2008 December 20, 21:06:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Colin McRae appears dead, but Colin Mochrie is thankfully still kicking.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2008 December 21, 06:27:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Colin McRae appears dead, but Colin Mochrie is thankfully still kicking.

DUDE. I was not happy, and was hoping there was a spelling issue at hand. Thanks for the reassurance.

Too much death this week. I are sad cat.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2008 December 28, 16:03:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's a thought: TS3, what is it REALLY? These pictures date from *2005*. They look like *TS3*. *TS2* was supposed to have this. Naturally, it did not. But obviously, these pictures came from SOMETHING. So what is *REALLY* in TS3, hrm? Probably none of the stuff we've seen.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2008 December 28, 19:46:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That picture makes the sim look much more normally proportioned than the ones we ended up with - except for the waist and hips, which are still too small.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Tsarina
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2008 December 28, 19:52:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That looks A LOT like the Playstation 2 version of TS2. GameSpy may have filed it wrong.

Edit: A friend who plays the game mainly on PS2 just confirmed that that version of the game does, indeed, look like that.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 28, 20:02:45 by Tsarina » Logged

INEPT INTP
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2008 December 29, 00:21:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can also confirm that those screenshots are from the crappy console version. I would also like to submit that the graphics are far, far worse than anything on the PC Version that didn't come from FeeEssen. Seriously, what the heck is that amorphous silver pod?

I will fuck up your face in Denmark! COME! you also seem to be a flock of crapped nerds! COME! [...] That one goes to all of those retarrds that pretend to be a non-fag and yet suck my balls
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2008 December 29, 00:43:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Consider how much it looks like TS3, though.

MaryH
Garrulous Gimp

I can haz Polar Bearz

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2008 December 29, 03:42:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So they're going to make TS3 with stuff they didn't get done for TS2? What a bunch of lazy bastards..they can't even be bothered to make anything new, just remake the stuff they "forgot" to put into TS2 and call it Sims 3!

Yes, quite an achievement-fool all of the sheeple all of the time!

"Hey, kids, you want to see what you didn't get in the last Sims game? Buy the new one, and really screw up your computer with our lousy coding and incredible specs. Don't forget to buy a new rig, as well!"

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2008 December 29, 08:13:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fire-breathing toddlers?

More F than you
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »