More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 18:11:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  M&G install problem
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: M&G install problem  (Read 2540 times)
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
M&G install problem
« on: 2008 December 13, 18:48:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm trying to install M&G and not having any success. I run ZoneAlarm and early on in the install I get a message 'Suspicious Behavior' Electronic Arts AutoRun is trying to install an application to run each time your computer is started - Application: AutoRun.exe Needless to say I deny this after all why the hell should I want EA to be running something every time my computer boots up. (I'll run game code when I play a game, not any other time thank you very much.) The rest of the game then proceeds to install seemingly ok until the check for updates part at which point it tells me there is an installation error and removes the whole thing. This leaves me with a number of questions:

What is this autorun.exe?
Why does it need to run every time I start my computer (as opposed to when I run my game)?
Can I 'safely' install it then remove it from the startup (so that it doesn't run when I start my computer)?

EDIT: removed incorrect info

SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
Re: M&G install problem
« Reply #1 on: 2008 December 13, 21:00:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It probably wants to give you some deleeshus Securom. You do not want?

I still don't have M&G because my gaming computer doesn't have internet access and I heard there's no way to install the damn thing without letting it connect to check for updates. Sad

Fail.
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 December 13, 21:08:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was thinking the deleeshus Securom might be the root of this. I have a cunning plan that I'm just testing now. I let it install up until the point where it said it was going to check for updates - helpfully they prompt you at this point with a separate dialog. Looking in the new shiny folder under program files everything appears to be there so I killed the installer autorun.exe process which stopped it from complaining and uninstallling. I'm just about to check I've got the right no CD exe in place then I'll see if it will run.

(Unfortunately I've managed to already get Securom on my system somehow - it must have been Bioshock although I only ever ran a No CD exe for that as well. I need to check whether any non game companies use it before removing the damned thing as I don't want to break any legit non-game software.)

EDIT: I've got the game to run ok and load up my MATY Inverted 'hood complete with custom content. I did have to add my own shortcut to the desktop so I assume that would have been created last thing in the install process after the check for any updates. The new content appears to be there, complete with a new architecture category and build slope angle option so I'm assuming I haven't broken anything by stopping the install at the point I did. I will test more and I've got it all backed up anyway just in case it goes horribly wrong.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 13, 21:59:16 by eevilcat » Logged

Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 December 13, 22:03:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still don't have M&G because my gaming computer doesn't have internet access and I heard there's no way to install the damn thing without letting it connect to check for updates. Sad

This cannot be true.  My gaming computer doesn't have internet access (I removed the cables when EA started installing malware) and I was able to install M&G without any problem.  You must be thinking about a different game.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: