More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 10:04:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  What hacks/fixes are absolutely necessary
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What hacks/fixes are absolutely necessary  (Read 18639 times)
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
Re: What hacks/fixes are absolutely necessary
« Reply #25 on: 2008 December 09, 02:57:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You probably did not get all the Eps as soon as they were released because of course patches and fixes come later than the game itself and then could prevent the corruption but not repair it afterwards.

Pescado starts releasing his fixes within a day or two of an EP's release, as soon he starts receiving reliable reports of glitches from players.  He then updates these new fixes frequently over the next couple of weeks to fine tune them.  There's no waiting for months for fixes here at MATY, and unlike EAxis patches, Pescado's fixes work and don't break other aspects of the game.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Zaleth
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2008 December 09, 05:14:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have all the Patches and have 31 folders holding 680 files of Hack/mods I will tell you my game runs like clock work.  The only time in recently history I have had any issue was when like a dumb ass I installed 3 default skin sets which caused the game to crash to desktop when I tried to use CAS or change thier looks via plastic surgery or Mirror. (mind you I forgot I had some in there)

I know I would not have as much fun without all my hacks/mods.  You need to quit worrying so much about them messing up the game and look what they can actually do for you game.  There are a lot of talented moders out there!
Quinctia
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 2008 December 09, 06:08:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a twelve generation legacy running in the Veronaville from my original game install.  Full of character files and all other sorts of fun things.  Being pretty anal about your game means you simply don't get the game exploding type errors that many others do.  However, being anal about your game also means installing all the critical fixes and things from here.

And there are features that I don't have in my game.  I am also another non-BUY user.  I also used to never use the sleep clock, however when I had a generation with ten kids in it, plus their two parents and three grandparents, I had to install sleepclocks so I personally stayed sane.

It's good to be careful with what you put in the game, and you certainly don't want to accidentally put something like zombieapocalypse into your game, but I swear, some people get overcautious about things just because they are called "hacks."  Hack as a word doesn't necessarily mean bad or dangerous!  When I get a new EP, I always get the Director's Cut, weed through it, and then generally there are a few other hacks I need to pick up from the general directory, too.

(I also use hacks from other sites, but I make sure they play nice with what I've got before I put them in, and my MATY hacks would be the last ones to come out after a conflict.)
Count Four
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2008 December 09, 06:34:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I am worried about is downloading hacks that are no longer needed, and I don't fully trust downloads in general. I think that I should not rely on third party content unless it is absolutely necessary to run the game properly.

Third party content is necessary to run the game properly.

Other third party content is necessary to play the game without experiencing random bouts of rage.  Exactly which hacks you need to prevent rage is a matter of which stupid sim behavior drives you nuts.  

Hacks that have not been updated in some time have not needed to be updated or modified.  They are still fine the way they are. Pescado doesn't fix (or re-fix) things that aren't broken.

When there's a real problem with a Pescado hack, if you report it properly --after you have tested your game without hacks to make sure it's not an EAxis problem, after you have checked with the Hack Detection tool--  in other words, after you've made sure that's it's a FFS problem, it will be fixed within days. Pescado doesn't drag ass.

I don't use the entire director's cut, but I use most of it.  I delete dailygardener, no20Khandout, sleepclock.  On the other hand, there are features that I won't play without, like abortbedmaking and nobathroomdishes.

I never had an EP kill a neighborhood, either, not even NL.

Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2008 December 09, 16:57:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What is wrong with NL? It is my favorite, and it was made by Maxis.

"Of course I'm alright! But supposing I wasn't alright! I mean, this thing makes me feel in such a way that I'd be very worried if I felt like that about somebody else feeling like this about that. Do you understand?"
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2008 December 09, 18:14:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uh, no it wasn't. Maxis ceased to exist as a completely separate entity early in  Sims1. EAxis, all the way.

Apparently, the engine was spectacularly buggy. I don't have a clear recollection of all the issues as I'm not known for my memory.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Stitches
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2008 December 09, 20:09:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uh, no it wasn't. Maxis ceased to exist as a completely separate entity early in  Sims1. EAxis, all the way.

Apparently, the engine was spectacularly buggy. I don't have a clear recollection of all the issues as I'm not known for my memory.

As your AIDEs, I shall assist.

There were massive corruptions resulting from certain NCPs being bit by vampires.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2008 December 09, 20:27:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's fine to be choosy about what you put in your game.  If more people were, there wouldn't so much tight-pants-itis going around.  I started by putting in just the fixes, and even now with most of the DC in my game, I know on sight which updates to pick up from the Armory.

It takes time to become educated about hacks, but srsly parrot, if you're going to be choosy, it means that you have to do the choosing.  Don't be asking other people what you want in your game.  How the fuck should we know?
Quinctia
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: 2008 December 09, 20:35:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The engine was unstable enough that when I was running up to NL and put in some hacks from here (this was back when TJ and his ACR stuff lived here), one kept erroring and the official twojeffs solution was "NL is unstable, some installs have issues, take the hack out."  I was very surprised!

I know that it's been said that OfB's engine was rather stable, though, and Seasons doesn't seem to be too crazy, after the temperature fix and crying baby fix, anyway.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2008 December 09, 21:50:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As your AIDEs, I shall assist.

There were massive corruptions resulting from certain NCPs being bit by vampires.
Ah, thank you. You are proving to be an exceptional AIDE. I will remember this at review time.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
DJKID
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: 2008 December 09, 22:35:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I buy the EPs as soon as they come out. I don't install SPs, with the exception of Glamor Life, because my Downloads folder is really freaking huge. Well over a Gig.
With that said I have never had a hood go BFBVFS on me. I have had error messages, but since I lurk hard on this forum they don't tend to last very long.
It all comes down to getting your head out of your ass, RTFM, and do your research.

"Please proceed into Android Hell."
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2008 December 10, 00:47:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, thank you. You are proving to be an exceptional AIDE. I will remember this at review time.

Your AIDE is so exceptional, she probably won't even bother you at review time.  She'll just tell you the next week when you ask about it, "oh yes, you did that review.  Don't you remember the glowing report you gave me?"

It is likely that the first thing your AIDE did upon appointment was to learn how to forge your signature, so that you won't be bothered with unnecessary paperwork (such as those tedious reviews).

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2008 December 10, 01:42:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The engine was unstable enough that when I was running up to NL and put in some hacks from here (this was back when TJ and his ACR stuff lived here), one kept erroring and the official twojeffs solution was "NL is unstable, some installs have issues, take the hack out."  I was very surprised!
NL's engine is extremely unstable, yes. Hacks which run perfectly fine in Uni or even Base will crash and burn spectacularly for no explicable reason in NL.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2008 December 10, 03:58:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is this true for the version of Nightlife which came with Deluxe?

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
Count Four
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2008 December 10, 06:44:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, I didn't know NL was so bad.  But come to think of it, I got the base game, then a friend gave me a copy of Glamour Life stuff.  Later on, I installed NL, but IIRC, the game still ran on the GL engine.  I guess that gave me a break from the NL fuck-upped-ness. 

That's still the only SP I have; I won't pay for crap-packs, and nobody has given me another one.  I must talk to Santa.

Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
talysman
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2008 December 10, 07:46:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or Pirate Santa.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2008 December 10, 08:52:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When there's a real problem with a Pescado hack, if you report it properly --after you have tested your game without hacks to make sure it's not an EAxis problem, after you have checked with the Hack Detection tool--  in other words, after you've made sure that's it's a FFS problem, it will be fixed within days. Pescado doesn't drag ass.
Actually, the average turnaround time for an acknowledged bug report is about 1-2 hours. Tongue Once the problem has been brought to my attention, it is swiftly and mercilessly crushed.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Stitches
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2008 December 10, 15:34:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is likely that the first thing your AIDE did upon appointment was to learn how to forge your signature, so that you won't be bothered with unnecessary paperwork (such as those tedious reviews).

I'm efficient that way.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: