More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 19:55:34

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Relinking Sims without character file or restoring a character file
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Relinking Sims without character file or restoring a character file  (Read 6450 times)
Sandman
Asinine Airhead

My Simself

View Profile
Relinking Sims without character file or restoring a character file
« on: 2008 December 10, 14:32:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone know how to relink sims that have been unlinked due to either being deleted or who have died and don't have a tombstone in order to resurrect them. I have some sims I want to restore to the game and have figured out how to get their pictures onto the lot that I want them to be at but they are still not showing up in the lot. I have read threads at SimPE where they need to be relinked but no one says how to relink them. I have found an area in SimPE that has a link that says relink character but it is greyed out. Evidentally I need to do something else before I can use that link.

After doing some searching I found a few post that tell you how to restore a sims that can be restore if they were deleted or that has a tomb stone but they all say you can't restore them if they don't have a character file. They all have the little pink box in the corner of their picture.  If there a whay to restore a charcter file so I can restore them. Some of these were deleted before I knew how to play the game...Sad  I am guilt ridden and want to restore them...Smiley

My gut is telling me to forget it...but I seldom pay attention to my gut.

Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
Re: Relinking Sims without character file or restoring a character file
« Reply #1 on: 2008 December 10, 15:29:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While there are some parts of a character file that are that can easily be replaced with data copied from other character files, there is some data contained within a character file that's unique to that Sim.  For example, I believe the data used to construct their face is in there.  I suppose in theory it could be possible to create a file that would work, but your Sim would definately not be the same and you're more likely to create a borked character.  It's definately better just to forget about it.

All generalizations are false, including this one.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2008 December 10, 16:06:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What does unlinked actually *mean*?  It is supposed to be one way of finding out if they are dead, but living sims are sometimes marked unlinked in simpe.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 December 10, 16:31:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looking into the code, it means that the SDESC's SimId field differs from the GUID field of the character's OBJD. SimPe's relink dialog offers a way to synchronize those values.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2008 December 10, 16:41:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought they were always meant to differ.  Nannies are all the same GUID, aren't they, for instance?  But different NIDs.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 December 10, 16:49:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe it's meant to be used on playables only, but I'm not sure. Anyway, "relinking" in SimPe will give them the same value.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2008 December 10, 17:04:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What is interesting is that there is no completely infallible way to tell if a sim is dead, programmatically.

Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 December 10, 17:46:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My previous statements were not entirely correct. Relinking is done by the stated method, but the 'Unlinked' setting is actually read from a field in the SDESC.

That field is declared as:
Quote from: SDescWrapper.cs@1448
/// True if this Sim is only available for Memory Reasons
public ushort Unlinked

The code that fetches that value can be found further down:
Quote from: SDescWrapper.cs@2167
reader.BaseStream.Seek(startpos + 0x156, System.IO.SeekOrigin.Begin);
unlinked = reader.ReadUInt16();
In SimPe, the sim's icon will have a blue background if 'Unlinked' is not zero.

What is interesting is that there is no completely infallible way to tell if a sim is dead, programmatically.
I think the game only needs the 'Ghost flag' set, without any consideration for the 'I am dead' memory token.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2008 December 10, 18:18:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is the ghost flag actually set though, if they have no grave to haunt from?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: