More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:20:32

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Alien baby born with brown eyes?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Alien baby born with brown eyes?  (Read 16888 times)
Count
PA
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Alien baby born with brown eyes?
« on: 2008 November 25, 11:11:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm using, IIRC, fwiffo's replacement PTs so that I no longer have to endure fugly as all hell alien babies.  I'm not sure this is related, however...

One of my Sims was abducted, and the poor guy had twin alien babies.  One of them was born with Maxis brown eyes and the other has plain old vanilla Maxis standard alien eyes.  Both have the standard Maxis alien skintone.  I've checked the brown-eyed alien boy in SimPE and he has the same eye and skintone genetics as his sister, who does have alien eyes.

Is there really anything that can be done about this?  I've tried editing his genetics so that he is recessive for alien eyes/skin, nary a human gene in sight, and he still shows up with brown eyes.  If I have to, I'll settle for sticking contacts on the kid, but I'd rather he behaved and showed his alien eyes.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
Re: Alien baby born with brown eyes?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 November 25, 11:31:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some alien babies are born with alien eyes and some without, same with the skin. Ages ago, I had a sim abducted (BG only) and the baby born had normal skin with alien eyes. It's just the way the cookie crumbles. Just stick some alien contacts on the kid when he is a toddler.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 November 25, 11:37:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The geneticity of the Alien eye is random. It depends on whether you get it in the first slot or the second lot. If you get the AlienEye in the first slot, your sim will display alieneyes. If you get it in only the second lot, you get only normal eyes.

Caveat: Without creaturefixes, if you get a non-alien skin, the alien eyes will not display and you will instead get whatever eyes are painted on the skin itself.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 November 25, 11:53:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup, I had my first alien baby with blue eyes born the last time I visited Strangetown.  I then promptly deleted the neighbourhood because I've never really been a fan.

Ye Olde Prima Guide says there's a 50/50 chance that the baby will have human eyes.  I say it's more like 97/3 it'll have alien eyes.

<insert witty comment here>
Count
PA
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 November 25, 12:38:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm.  Didn't know an alien could be born with human eyes.  Thanks for the info--I can stop banging my head against my desk wondering what I did wrong!  I'll just stick contacts on him.

I do have the creaturefixes, though I don't think I'll use different alien default skins, at least not for a long time.  I've got some vampires in my game, so it's useful for that.
Tarlia
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 November 25, 13:10:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, the chance of the baby getting alien eyes depends on what eye genetics the sim parent has.

Excluding any custom eyes, the eye genetics work like this: Light blue, grey and green are equally recessive. Brown, dark blue and alien eyes are equally dominant. Every sim has two eye genes, one expressed and one dormant. Dominant means that if a sim has one dominant and one recessive gene, the dominant will always be the expressed one. If both eye genes are equally recessive or dominant, it's a 50/50 chance of which gets expressed. So if your sim has both recessive eye genes, its alien spawn will always have alien eyes. If the sim parent has one or two dominant eye genes, there's a chance the alien spawn will get them as their expressed gene.

Custom eyes, unless properly edited, will always be super-dominant over any ingame eyes, including alien eyes.

Alien skin works like a (non-geneticised) custom skin and is always dominant over ingame skins, but if the sim parent has a dominant custom skin as well, the alien baby can end up with their skin as well.
« Last Edit: 2008 November 25, 13:15:53 by Tarlia » Logged
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 November 25, 13:47:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup, I had my first alien baby with blue eyes born the last time I visited Strangetown.  I then promptly deleted the neighbourhood because I've never really been a fan.

A totally lulzworthy and not at all disproportionate response. "Hm, I don't like this babby's eyes. NUKE HIS CITY!"
I wholeheartedly approve.  Cheesy

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 November 25, 15:04:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, the chance of the baby getting alien eyes depends on what eye genetics the sim parent has.

Custom eyes, unless properly edited, will always be super-dominant over any ingame eyes, including alien eyes.

Alien skin works like a (non-geneticised) custom skin and is always dominant over ingame skins, but if the sim parent has a dominant custom skin as well, the alien baby can end up with their skin as well.

I did some fairly thorough testing on this a while ago, and it turned out the alien skin is not always dominant (this is why a sim who was born out of an alien pregnancy and has green skin has only a 25% chance of giving birth to a green baby himself/herself with each pregnancy). The alien skin seems to be dominant if one parent (for example, the pollination technician) has both his skintone genes as alien skin. However, when a sim has only one gene for alien skin and another for regular Maxis skin, the alien skin doesn't dominate anymore, and it's possible for the sim to pass on the alien gene without it expressing on the offspring. A sim can carry the gene for alien skin as a recessive streak.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
Count
PA
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 November 25, 20:05:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That drives me insane.  Enough that I went on a geneticizing and rebinning spree on almost all of the improperly binned hair and super dominant skintons and eyes I had.

I realized a bit late that I had Sims in-game who already had some of this content.  Ooops.  It hasn't done anything strange yet with the eyes, though I had a few incidents with skintones that I managed to fix with SimPE and a subsequent geneticizing spree to make them super dominant again so they don't get into the game unless I allow it (as with my Genetics Doom House).  The hair on the other hand was a totally different story...I have several Star Wars KotOR-based Sims, and one has a really funky hairdo that I didn't want inflicted on every daughter she had for all time.  But she was already in the game, carrying super dominant genes for custom hair that's now binned brown.  I could not have picked funnier results if I tried--a friend had done the same thing and her Sims were born bald, or ended up with the Maxis fried hair, but no, my game had to be cute and give her a daughter with lekku.  I have a perfect screenshot of dad holding up his girl just after she grew into a toddler, a stunned ZOMG expression on his face, blatant evidence of his wife cheating on him with a Twi'lek happily gurgling in his hands.

I believe I've fixed mom Sim so she's carrying genes for brown hair now so that doesn't happen again, but I just had to let that one stand.  That moment in Simming just edged out Sephiroth showing up at a wedding in a Santa suit as the funniest thing I've seen in my game.

Anyhow, good to know about the dominance of the alien skin, too, so I won't be caught off guard when the kiddies breed and some end up with human skin.
Tarlia
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 November 25, 21:01:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did some fairly thorough testing on this a while ago, and it turned out the alien skin is not always dominant (this is why a sim who was born out of an alien pregnancy and has green skin has only a 25% chance of giving birth to a green baby himself/herself with each pregnancy). The alien skin seems to be dominant if one parent (for example, the pollination technician) has both his skintone genes as alien skin. However, when a sim has only one gene for alien skin and another for regular Maxis skin, the alien skin doesn't dominate anymore, and it's possible for the sim to pass on the alien gene without it expressing on the offspring. A sim can carry the gene for alien skin as a recessive streak.

Huh! I didn't know that. That's interesting. Now that I think of it, I remember seeing someone's sim family tree where a kid got the alien skin tone appearently passed down from a grandparent. Makes sense, too, since skintones work differently from hair and eyes. I wonder if the same is true for custom skins, or if this only applies to the alien skin?

That moment in Simming just edged out Sephiroth showing up at a wedding in a Santa suit as the funniest thing I've seen in my game.

Haha. Do you have a picture?
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 November 25, 21:05:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since I play 100% custom sims with custom skin tones (including using Enayla's skins for defaults for creatures) and custom eyes, my neighborhoods tend to look like a very large generational genetics experiment. I have around a dozen alien children born post abduction. I rarely get the alien eyes (fine, cuz I hate them, shudder), but frequently get the alien eye shape, flat nose, etc. Of the dozen or so currently in the neighborhood (ranging in age from adults to infants) I've got 4 with the father's skintone and the rest have the custom default alien skintone.

Really, the only things that bug me about the alien kids are the flat noses and the tiny lips. And those traits can pop up in their offspring even if they got lucky and didn't have them as half alien. so 1/4 alien children can get the no nose/tiny lip thing.

Tarlia
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 November 25, 21:08:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really, the only things that bug me about the alien kids are the flat noses and the tiny lips. And those traits can pop up in their offspring even if they got lucky and didn't have them as half alien. so 1/4 alien children can get the no nose/tiny lip thing.

That's something I've wondered about for a while. Can facial features be passed down as recessives? All of my breeding seems to result in the offspring getting all their appearence from their parents' expressed facial features.
Count
PA
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 November 25, 21:31:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gah.  I have one alien baby that was 'fathered' by Maxis' PT, and she is horrifying to behold.  Her ears are microscopic.  A friend pointed me toward a new set of PTs that still had an alien look but didn't have the epic fugly factor.  The two twins 'fathered' by one of the four new PTs are not bad at all.  I hope that the first alien baby doesn't pass on too much...

Tarlia, I do have a couple pictures of Santaroth:

I like to imagine the husband there isn't so much shocked by his new wife pouncing as he is stunned to have just caught sight of Santaroth.  My Sim Sephiroth amuses me to no end.
Tarlia
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 November 25, 22:11:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tarlia, I do have a couple pictures of Santaroth:
[Santaroth.jpg]

I like to imagine the husband there isn't so much shocked by his new wife pouncing as he is stunned to have just caught sight of Santaroth.  My Sim Sephiroth amuses me to no end.

That's excellent. If you've been naughty, he'll summon meteor on you.
Count
PA
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 November 25, 23:01:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's excellent. If you've been naughty, he'll summon meteor on you.

That takes getting coal in your stocking to a new level!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 November 26, 17:16:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's something I've wondered about for a while. Can facial features be passed down as recessives? All of my breeding seems to result in the offspring getting all their appearence from their parents' expressed facial features.
No. Facial features are strictly either/or. You either get a given feature from one parent or the other.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jwaas
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 November 26, 19:27:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On the subject of alien eyes, my memory is that Johnny Smith comes out of the package with regular green human eyes.  I put black alien contacts on all my aliens anyway, along with my blue alien skintone (the better to distinguish aliens from Plantsims, even from a distance and at a quick glance).

Related (hopefully) to all this, I've been wondering about alien genetics in general.  Genetically, is the only thing that defines a Sim as an alien the skintone?  So that if I give a Sim the alien skintone using Christianlov's painting (or changing it by hand in SimPE), this is enough to make that Sim an alien?  Or better still, if I make a Sim in CAS and give him/her that skintone, this is enough to make him/her an alien, correct?  As opposed to the other supernatural types -- vampires, werewolves, magic-users, Plantsims, zombies etc. -- which seem to have special flags in their files, and (usually) special skintones or skintone overlays as well.

So I guess what I'm asking is -- apart from the question of having Pollination Techs in their ancestry or not, would I be correct that there is no special "alien" flag in alien Sims' files?

And unrelated to this, I am loving Santaroth.  Grin
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 November 26, 19:36:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are no "aliens". "Aliens" are purely perceptual, they have absolutely nothing which seperates them from regular sims except the greenness.

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 November 26, 21:25:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gah.  I have one alien baby that was 'fathered' by Maxis' PT, and she is horrifying to behold.  ...The two twins 'fathered' by one of the four new PTs are not bad at all.

Yeah, I find that a new PT is a necessary addition to the game.  I resisted installing one until my first alienspawn reached the 12 stage and recoiled in horror.  As soon as she went to uni, I 'plastic surgeried' her, and changed parental genetics to those of the new PT.  Hopefully that will keep the fugly away from any of her spawn and stop it from happening with any new abductionspawn.  Naturally, now that I've done all that, I can't seem to get anyone abducted even with TJs higher abduction odds mod installed.

Tribulatio proxima est
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 November 26, 21:53:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I find that a new PT is a necessary addition to the game.  I resisted installing one until my first alienspawn reached the 12 stage and recoiled in horror.  As soon as she went to uni, I 'plastic surgeried' her, and changed parental genetics to those of the new PT.  Hopefully that will keep the fugly away from any of her spawn and stop it from happening with any new abductionspawn.  Naturally, now that I've done all that, I can't seem to get anyone abducted even with TJs higher abduction odds mod installed.

The odds with TJs' hack are still pretty low except for knowledge sims. It might take 2 or 3 nights of concerted effort stargazing to get the UFO to swing by but it does work. Secondary knowledge seems to get abducted just as much as having it as a primary aspiration.

PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 December 07, 04:37:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are no "aliens". "Aliens" are purely perceptual, they have absolutely nothing which seperates them from regular sims except the greenness.

And an inability to get fit due to texturing errors. Oh well, I like my fatty aliens.

I will fuck up your face in Denmark! COME! you also seem to be a flock of crapped nerds! COME! [...] That one goes to all of those retarrds that pretend to be a non-fag and yet suck my balls
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: