More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 06:24:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  What the World Needs Now....
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What the World Needs Now....  (Read 6091 times)
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
What the World Needs Now....
« on: 2008 October 31, 18:44:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since there is a site where the downtrodden can acquire pay objects for phree, I keep wondering if someone could do a site where it was possible to share houses they've done wiith pay custom content or even just plain old "don't share my stuuuph" content.   

Like the house I built with SImPlanx windows last night, that I'd really like to be able to pass on.   Yes, I know CC doesn't always package with the content, but in that case it could be included in the .rar file.

One of the things I looked forward too in Sims 2 was being able to share houses without shopping lists.   Sad

Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
Re: What the World Needs Now....
« Reply #1 on: 2008 October 31, 18:58:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as I'm concerned, a site like that already exists, and from the very beginning: it's the Exchange  Wink.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 October 31, 20:07:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, but of all the houses I've put up there without custom content, only one has stayed up more than a couple of days.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 October 31, 22:23:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

even just plain old "don't share my stuuuph" content.   
You're going to get a hell of a lot of backlash for that, if you started a site with that aim. Even most pirates don't support going against free creator's wishes re: sharing content.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Chinchillagrl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 October 31, 22:29:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

DL Muslow anyone?  Tongue
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 November 01, 18:49:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

even just plain old "don't share my stuuuph" content.   
You're going to get a hell of a lot of backlash for that, if you started a site with that aim. Even most pirates don't support going against free creator's wishes re: sharing content.

Yeah, you're right.  Only a daydream I guess.  Oh, well.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 November 04, 11:34:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not necessarily. I have had a web page project on the go for a long time now which I hope to complete over the summer holidays, only a few weeks away.

Pescado has said I can have server space to host some lots. I want to be able to upload my cc lots too. I also thought of show-casing other people's popular lots.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
jim
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 November 05, 11:55:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You'll post links to it when it's ready? 

'Summer in a few weeks'!1!  Just not in this hemisphere. Here we're facing weeks of grey halflight, rain, slush, more rain, fog, black ice ... oh, and rain.
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2008 November 05, 12:25:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or you could simply upload your files to a handy file-share service.

hotlinkfiles.com is pretty reliable and (like it says on the lid) it is not sniffy about hotlinking.

If you want to see a particular web site created it is always better to make it yourself than to ask someone else to do it for you. There are many free web hosting sites. Just Google away. All them make it as simple as posting on a forum.

Also, if you're planning to share houses then be sure to check the final Sims2Pack file with Clean Installer to ensure no hacks got in under the radar

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 November 06, 08:49:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You'll post links to it when it's ready? 

I have my eye on a few of your lots....

@Mirelly; I do have lots on various fileshares. However, what I want is a collation. Lots in one place, with pictures. Posted in threads here, they eventually get forgotten.

BTW, this does not mean I'm abandoning Laverwinkle sims, the site where my stuff has been generously hosted for several years now. I just sometimes want to upload stuff that has a crapload of CC so I can really use some of the beautiful things I've downloaded.

Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2008 November 06, 12:20:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@Witch: Like I said, setting up a simple website using fileshare links for the downloads is not difficult. Images should also be hosted outside the free web provider to avoid eating up bandwidth. My own simple site (here) is an example of how this can be done. Although I can work with the nuts of bolts of web-design, I don't see the point for a basic website. The real test should be quality of content and an absence of charging and bullshit. Adverts I can live with.

If it's simply a case of someone volunteering to set it up and to maintain it, then I volunteer. PM me if you want. If the Fat OJ is offering bandwidth so much the better. I'd combine my frugality with his largesse to make it awesomely economic. My rules would simple. Creators would have to have uploaded their images and zips to a suitable filesharing host, and to supply their own copy in a plain text file along with links to their media and downloads.

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 November 07, 03:56:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

S'okay, ta anyway, I know how to make websites. Time is my problem. I'm looking forward to my annual leave to have a play. Roll on 22nd Dec.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: