More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 14:16:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Plumper Thumper Sofa in AL
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Plumper Thumper Sofa in AL  (Read 5402 times)
divalbw
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Plumper Thumper Sofa in AL
« on: 2008 October 24, 02:56:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I sure hope this problem hasn't been addressed already. If it has, please kindly forgive me and direct me to the proper thread.
In my game with  hacks and custom objects, the modular sofa called The Plumper Thumper from Smitty Classy ( 288 simoleans) does not "modulate" or connect to itself like the counters. It just sits there all by itself one by one. I also noticed that the other sofa called Smitty Classy's Lofty Softy ( 505 simoleans) doesn't show up at all in the object catalogue.
In my game sans  hacks and custom objects, these two sofas show up and work perfectly.
Which hack could be causing this problem? Yes, I know, I could take out the hacks and mods one by one, start the game, and check it out but what can I say.......Huh? I like to pay tribute to the experts by playing the dummy role every now and then.
Please help.
JennyJenny
Corpulent Cretin

ISTJ? Really?

View Profile
Re: Plumper Thumper Sofa in AL
« Reply #1 on: 2008 October 24, 03:03:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It might be tight pants. Check and make sure that you have the updated version of Inge's  "Is Chair a Booth" / "Is Sofa a Sectional" global patches. http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=189428 or http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2Pages/Sims2_MiscHacks.htm.

You might have one or both of these hacks if you downloaded custom sectionals. In my experience, this should take care of the sectionals-not-joining-up issue. I don't know about the other.

Inge:We judge by God's own criteria of correct punctuation and inspired fightliness.
divalbw
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 October 24, 03:33:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, Jenny. I couldn't remember the name of the hack nor who made it. I think you're right and this will solve the sectional problem. As for the other, I almost don't really care. It's not a sofa that I would use anyway. It's Maxis fugly. I'm not gonna worry about it unless somebody clones it and I just gotta have the cloned object. Thanks again.  Kiss
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 October 24, 13:31:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which hack could be causing this problem? Yes, I know, I could take out the hacks and mods one by one, start the game, and check it out but what can I say.......Huh?

Hopefully the link JennyJenny provided will solve your problem, but if it doesn't - and especially for future reference - I wanted to call your attention to the binary search. As you're new to the site (and mention having to sort through files singly) you may not be familiar with the concept. It's a simple procedure that sounds like it'll take for-freaking-ever, but it does not. It is a simple technique that generally only reqires a few restarts of your game.

First, remove your entire Downloads folder (and any other CC you might have stashed elsewhere) to your desktop. Restart and see if the problem persists. (You've already done this part, verifying that the problem/conflict lies with something in your downloads).

Once you've identified that the problem is download-related, put *half* of your downloads back in. Problem file not in this half? Switch halves. Problem file is? Moving on, then...
Take out half the remaining files. Problem file in which half? Switch or move on... Rinse and repeat as needed.

Yes, it looks like this will take forever, but it's a LOT faster than a move random by-file search. Say you have 1000 files in your downloads. Then you narrow it down to 500; then 250; then 125, 63, 32, 16, 8,4,2,1. Around 10 restarts to locate one file among a thousand? Very efficient. Like I said, I hope JennyJenny's link gives you the solution, but whether or not it does, this binary search is a dance we've all had to do one time or another. It is a useful procedure to keep in mind for future problems.

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
JennyJenny
Corpulent Cretin

ISTJ? Really?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 October 24, 15:53:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Definitely agree with Liz there. I do feel slightly compelled to mention that the logical thing to do here, since it was a couch that was broken, would be to check any hack that says couch or sofa first. Not to mention that one really should remove all their hacks and then only replace them as they are listed as updated or listed as not needing an update. Moot point now, though.

As for the other sofa that doesn't work, if I were divalbw, I would at least try the binary search, at least to familiarise yourself with it. If you take out all your CC except for your hacks it really speeds up the process. I was really surprised how quickly the vanilla game loads without 1.5 GB of CC slowing things down. Of course, if your CC folder is not organised it is more difficult.

Inge:We judge by God's own criteria of correct punctuation and inspired fightliness.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 October 25, 07:06:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, it looks like this will take forever, but it's a LOT faster than a move random by-file search. Say you have 1000 files in your downloads. Then you narrow it down to 500; then 250; then 125, 63, 32, 16, 8,4,2,1. Around 10 restarts to locate one file among a thousand? Very efficient. Like I said, I hope JennyJenny's link gives you the solution, but whether or not it does, this binary search is a dance we've all had to do one time or another. It is a useful procedure to keep in mind for future problems.
The other thing is that since each restart is performed with half the files of the previous restart, it costs only the time it takes for 10 restarts with no CC at all, plus the additional time it takes for ONE startup with your full load.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Gwenke
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 November 12, 11:37:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the issue is not solved by checking Inge's fixes, you may want to check if you have a similar older fix by Shaklin (I don't remember the file name but I think it had 'Shaklin' and/or 'sectional' in it). It had the same function and conflicted with Inge's.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: