More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 09:28:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Think this will break the game? Removing roads.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Think this will break the game? Removing roads.  (Read 4484 times)
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
Think this will break the game? Removing roads.
« on: 2008 October 20, 00:39:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been trying to figure out how to remove roads from my ancient 'hood, where even the country/dirt roads mod doesn't exactly fit. I found that if I built all the houses and then used terrain surgery to replace the terrain with the same terrain but with no roads, I could still load and play the houses despite the fact that they were no longer on a road. Everything looks great, but is it going to cause some unexpected errors as I play? I kind of don't have time anymore for these kinds of experiments. Sad

Fail.
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
Re: Think this will break the game? Removing roads.
« Reply #1 on: 2008 October 20, 02:51:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been trying to figure out how to remove roads from my ancient 'hood, where even the country/dirt roads mod doesn't exactly fit. I found that if I built all the houses and then used terrain surgery to replace the terrain with the same terrain but with no roads, I could still load and play the houses despite the fact that they were no longer on a road. Everything looks great, but is it going to cause some unexpected errors as I play? I kind of don't have time anymore for these kinds of experiments. Sad

Roadless neighborhoods can work, but there are some issues.  There are two things that I can think of which require roads:

1) Creating a new lot.  In order to place a lot, you need to "snap" the lot to a road.  No road => no new lots.

Possible solution:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=275135

This tutorial was written for Castaway Stories, because the neighborhoods in CS are roadless.  EA "solved" the problem by removing the entire "lots" menu, thus making it impossible to create new lots in the game.  Needless to say, people were pretty upset.  This tutorial "solves" the problem by giving people a way to copy existing lots from another neighborhood.  So, you could create your new lots in a (temporary) road-ful neighborhood and then copy them to your roadless neighborhood.

2) Moving a lot in a neighborhood.  Same as above: you can't place a lot without a road.

Possible solution:
Use SimPE to change the Top and Left values in the Lot Description by hand.

Possible solution:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=282409
The LotAdjuster has an advanced option to adjust the location of a lot in a neighborhood.  You can also use the LotAdjuster to remove the road from your lot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another alternative would be to create a road mod for invisible roads, similar to the country / dirt roads mod.  This would have none of the above problems... you still have roads, you just can't see them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is also another way to remove roads from your neighborhood.  Get a roadless SC4 file (I can provide one if you don't have access).  Use HoodReplace to replace the roads in your neighborhood with the roads in the roadless neighborhood:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=279992

Hope this helps.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 October 20, 04:02:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it possible to recolor the roads so that they are the same color as the ground underneath them?
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 October 20, 04:46:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it possible to recolor the roads so that they are the same color as the ground underneath them?

As far as I know, you can only have one color of roads in a neighborhood.  So, this would work as long as the neighborhood roads are all on the same color terrain.  That's why I suggested invisible roads... it wouldn't matter what color the underlying terrain is.

Anyway, this seems like the safest solution, although it may not be the easiest solution.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 October 20, 06:28:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I already tried to make a default replacement that gets rid of roads. Unfortunately, no matter what, you could see a clear outline of the roads from the neighborhood view. It doesn't seem to be possible to make a perfect graphical replacement, or else that would be the ideal solution. And they refuse to be made invisible, too. The game seems to expect a texture and doesn't want transparency. Although it is possible I just suck.

I don't see the "can't move lots / can't create lots" as a problem since the neighborhood I have is already full and I don't see myself adding or moving anything. Plus, if I did want to do that, I could just change the terrain back to the terrain-with-roads version, add whatever, and then change it back again.

Fail.
Jaedle
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 October 20, 08:52:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, would this suit your needs?
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/7/5/8/9/0/MTS2_hexameter_717547_riders.jpg

I haven't tried the command myself so I am not sure if you can leave it that way or if it's just for pictures. I hope it does what you want.

arogers
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 October 31, 13:00:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Use hood replace and lot adjuster from MTS2.
To remove the roads from your neighborhood, you need to use hood replace by deleting all the roads in simcity then replacing it with your own.

Once youv'e done that, use the Lot adjuster to remove the road by clicking advanced and "remove roads from lot" this will stop half of the lot vanishing because there was once a road there.

Then If necessary, use inges portal revealer to make sure that vehicles (if you use them) appear in the correct places.

I've been doing this for a very long time now!  Wink
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: