More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 16:00:00

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Using a Crack with AnyGameStarter
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Using a Crack with AnyGameStarter  (Read 9057 times)
Darby
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Using a Crack with AnyGameStarter
« on: 2008 October 17, 04:13:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks to Zazazu and others (baaa!) in the SuckyROM thread, I have rid my computer of that crap and am now playing my full game (everything up to AL) from a crack. 

However, I also have a 'hood in which I'm running an apocalypse challenge that was started before I got FT and AL, and I'd like to use Numenor's AnyGameStarter to exclude those two EPs from it.  Problem is, I can't figure out where to install the cracked exe for BV in order to run this "anygame".  Hepl, pleeze?

I've exhausted my best Google-Fu and use of the search feature, but have not been able to find the answer.  I'd ask Numenor himself except that he apparently does not approve of the use of cracks and wouldn't, I'm sure, tell me - assuming he even knows.

« Last Edit: 2008 October 19, 00:28:26 by Darby » Logged
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Using a Crack with AnyGameStarter
« Reply #1 on: 2008 October 17, 07:30:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Where on earth have you been looking?
Last I checked http://www.gamecopyworld.com had no-cd cracks for every EP with and without patch installed.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Darby
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 October 17, 15:38:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not looking for the cracks themselves - I've got those.  My question was, where do I put the crack for an AnyGame?

I may have finally figured it out this morning while taking a closer look at things in hopes that I could articulate all this well enough to not sound like a complete idiot.  So...

I know the AL crack for my full game goes in C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Apartment Life\TSBin, and all is working brilliantly on that score.  Now I think the BV crack I need to use for my any game goes in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\AnyGameStarter\AppFiles.  The shortcut generated by AGS points to an application called "hidcon" that's inside the AppFiles folder, so that same folder is where I now have the cracked BV exe.

New problem, assuming I've even got the crack it in the right place now, is that it's not working.  When I try to run the BV anygame by clicking on the BV crack shortcut, I get an error that's simply a red circle with a white "X" in it.  What am I doing wrong?       

« Last Edit: 2008 October 17, 15:46:45 by Darby » Logged
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 October 17, 15:46:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would suspect it needs to go in the same place as for your full game. Like with AL, but C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 BonVoyage\TSBin.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Darby
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 October 17, 15:51:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That was my first thought, but how do I get the BV crack shortcut to recognize I'm trying to access the anygame rather than the full game? 

ETA: When I try to launch it from there, I get the error that I'm running the wrong version and need to use Apartment Life instead. 
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 October 17, 15:56:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just click on the AGS shortcuts. I use AGS all the time and I use no cd crack. Just make sure you have the no cd crack properly installed on the latest EP of the AGS setup.
Darby
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Using a Crack with AnyGameStarter - Still Need Help
« Reply #6 on: 2008 October 17, 16:01:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tried that too, but it just asks me for the BV disc.  Is the AGS AppFiles folder indeed proper place for the crack?   

Edit: I've tried five combinations of setups for getting this damned thing to work, but still no go.

Combo 1: BV crack is in C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 BonVoyage\TSBin and I click the BV crack shortcut to launch.
It tells me I'm running the wrong version and need to run Apartment Life instead.  I assume this setup has no way of recognizing that I'm trying to launch an AnyGame as opposed to the full game.

Combo 2: BV crack remains in TSBin folder and I click the AGS shortcut to launch.
It tells me to insert the BV CD.  Makes sense as the AGS shortcut is pointed to "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\AnyGameStarter\AppFiles\hidcon.exe" Start_AnyGame1.bat  -f -f -noparam - not the BV crack.

Combo 3: BV crack is now in "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\AnyGameStarter\AppFiles\BVNOCD.exe.exe", which is the same folder the AGS shortcut points to.  My thinking is that in an AnyGame, the "hidcon.exe" is analogous to the EP6 exe in the BV TSBin folder, so it seems to make sense that might be where the BV crack needs to go.  But, I attempt to launch with the BV crack and that's when I get the red circle w/white "X" error.

Combo 4: Same as combo 3, except I try to launch with the AGS shortcut.
I get the same result as combo 2 wherein I'm told to insert the BV CD.  So having the BV crack in the same folder as the hidcon.exe does not get AGS's attention.

One last thing I tried was to point the AGS shortcut to here: "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\AnyGameStarter\AppFiles\BVNOCD.exe.exe".  Got the red circle w/white "X" error again, as in combo 3.

I'm totally out of ideas.  Again, halp?   Cry   

« Last Edit: 2008 October 18, 04:10:26 by Darby » Logged
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 October 18, 23:29:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Combo 1: BV crack is in C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 BonVoyage\TSBin and I click the BV crack shortcut to launch.
It tells me I'm running the wrong version and need to run Apartment Life instead.  I assume this setup has no way of recognizing that I'm trying to launch an AnyGame as opposed to the full game.

Combo 2: BV crack remains in TSBin folder and I click the AGS shortcut to launch.
It tells me to insert the BV CD.  Makes sense as the AGS shortcut is pointed to "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\AnyGameStarter\AppFiles\hidcon.exe" Start_AnyGame1.bat  -f -f -noparam - not the BV crack.

Combo 3: BV crack is now in "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\AnyGameStarter\AppFiles\BVNOCD.exe.exe", which is the same folder the AGS shortcut points to.  My thinking is that in an AnyGame, the "hidcon.exe" is analogous to the EP6 exe in the BV TSBin folder, so it seems to make sense that might be where the BV crack needs to go.  But, I attempt to launch with the BV crack and that's when I get the red circle w/white "X" error.

Combo 4: Same as combo 3, except I try to launch with the AGS shortcut.
I get the same result as combo 2 wherein I'm told to insert the BV CD.  So having the BV crack in the same folder as the hidcon.exe does not get AGS's attention.

One last thing I tried was to point the AGS shortcut to here: "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\AnyGameStarter\AppFiles\BVNOCD.exe.exe".  Got the red circle w/white "X" error again, as in combo 3.

I'm totally out of ideas.  Again, halp?   Cry   

I believe that you have two options:

1) Rename the original Sims2EP<x>.exe to Sims2EP<x>.SecuROM.  Rename the no-cd to Sims2EP<x>.exe.  Then run AGS as usual

2) Look though the AGS startup procedures until you find where it runs Sims2EP<x>.exe.  Change that part of the procedure to run your oddly named no-cd instead.

I am using option #1 without any problems.  However, I have also made changes to the AGS startup procedure to run forcecore.  Hint: look for something like %GameEXE%...

More info:
hidcon.exe is just running an invisible command prompt... look through the BAT files instead.  No access to my game machine at the moment, so I can't tell you the exact name.  If you're still having problems, I'll get you more info later.

Oh, one other thing.  If you actually ran a SecuROM exe during your attempts, you may have SecuROM on your system now.  That's why I prefer to rename the original EXE to something useless and replace it entirely with the no-cd.  I also like to rename the launcher to .SecuROM and replace it with FreeCell.
« Last Edit: 2008 October 18, 23:36:41 by Mootilda » Logged

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
Darby
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 October 19, 00:27:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe that you have two options:

1) Rename the original Sims2EP<x>.exe to Sims2EP<x>.SecuROM.  Rename the no-cd to Sims2EP<x>.exe.  Then run AGS as usual

Fanfuckingtastic, Mootilda - it worked!!!  And made sense as soon as I read it!  I kept feeling like I had all the pieces of the puzzle and just needed the right configuration, but I've been too sleep deprived to think straight.  Thank you for helping this addled one.   Cheesy 

Just for fun FYI: Although I'm pretty sure I succeeded in removing SecuROM as per Zazazu's instructions, I decided there were so many other piddly little issues built up in my machine that it was time to just learn how to reformat the damn thing and be done with it.  Which I did.  Since then, the game discs have only been used to reinstall (admin account) and I've got a lean, clean-running, SecuROM free machine here.   Grin

Anyway, as much as I've recently learned about my computer, I'm glad your first idea worked as I don't think I'd have quite been up to tackling your other suggestions. 

Thanks again, Mootilda!  *Running off to play my apoc 'hood for the first time in AGES!*   
Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2008 October 22, 19:28:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Last I checked http://www.gamecopyworld.com had no-cd cracks for every EP with and without patch installed.

Actually that's not entirely true, University and the standalone version of Nightlife never got a crack and the base game never got a completely working crack because build mode never worked. (but you can probably use the deluxe cracks for the base game and NL) The only games that have any of the patched game cracks are Bon Voyage, Freetime, and Apartment Life.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
Issy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 October 22, 20:30:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does that mean all the games up to Seasons is safe from Securom? 

I was planning on installing up to OFB on my other computer.  If I patch I wont be able to use the no-cd correct? (I'm quite sure I can't but I hate having to use the CD, I could always not patch the last EP if that is so).

"Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction".  ~Antoine de Exupery
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 October 22, 21:37:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EPs and SPs released before the Deluxe Edition (EPs up to Seasons, SPs up to Celebration!) don't have SecuROM, they use SafeDisc instead.  SafeDisc is much less harmful, so you don't need a no-cd to avoid destroying your machine.  Of course, if you want to run these earlier packs patched without a CD / DVD, you'll still want to find some way to run them... there are a number of options available.

Note: I've heard, but don't know for sure, that EA has since added SecuROM to those earlier packs, so you should be careful if you bought them recently (after May 2007?).

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2008 October 22, 22:41:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does that mean all the games up to Seasons is safe from Securom? 

I was planning on installing up to OFB on my other computer.  If I patch I wont be able to use the no-cd correct? (I'm quite sure I can't but I hate having to use the CD, I could always not patch the last EP if that is so).

That's correct.  However, you can patch it and add on the Glamour Life pack and use the GLS no-cd instead; that's what I'm doing on my sucky computer.

Issy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 October 23, 19:13:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mootilda - That is good to know.  I'm fairly certain I bought them way before then but it doesn't hurt to double check.

BastDawn - Good thing is that the only stuff pack I have is Glamour Life.  Baa for the tip Smiley

"Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction".  ~Antoine de Exupery
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 October 23, 19:18:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OFB predates SecuROM. You do not need to use a noCD crack on any patch of OFB.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 October 24, 04:17:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually that's not entirely true, University and the standalone version of Nightlife never got a crack and the base game never got a completely working crack because build mode never worked. (but you can probably use the deluxe cracks for the base game and NL) The only games that have any of the patched game cracks are Bon Voyage, Freetime, and Apartment Life.

Actually, there IS a crack for base game with working build mode, it's the latest one listed at GCW. However, in my experience, you have to have the pirated cd in your drive (or have it mounted) in addition of having the crack in place to run the game.

In my case, I lost my base game CDs so I downloaded it off the torrent. The game won't run if one of those is missing (the CD image and the crack)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: