More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 22:30:20

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  What's the deal with voices?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What's the deal with voices?  (Read 3595 times)
Papercut
Corpulent Cretin

More anger than a thousand suns

View Profile
What's the deal with voices?
« on: 2008 October 22, 05:29:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My backend / simPE knowledge is weak, so feel free to point and laugh.

So, in simPE each sim has a value for their voice type, which as far as I can tell is unique. I recall reading that if you wanted to change a sim's voice you could simply replace their value with one from a sim with the desired voice (Hmm, voice-stealing. Sort of creepy when you think about it, I'm sure Anne Rice already has a whole franchise in the works based on the concept).

Anyway, if you took an outgoing sim who was in the habit of blurting out "Stuvey!" and "Sosso!" and copied their voice to a shy sim, would the shy sim aquire those verbal tics?

And are the vocal characteristics genetic? Say, if I extracted a sim with sim surgery and then implanted them into the game (with the same personality points) would they have the same voice as the original sim, or will the game generate a voice type anew?

And lastly, is it possible (safe?) to copy the voice value from a sim in one hood and apply it to a sim in another hood?
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: What's the deal with voices?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 October 22, 09:17:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(Hmm, voice-stealing. Sort of creepy when you think about it, I'm sure Anne Rice already has a whole franchise in the works based on the concept).

I believe Disney's Little Mermaid has that one covered.
Can't help you on the rest though.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 October 22, 09:56:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have not seen any differentiation in voice characteristics between sims that is not due to personality-differences. The voice value appears to be largely vestigial, probably something that got dropped and won't appear until TS3 or 4. This matches observed behavior of how voice clips appear to work in sounds: There is only a single voice clip or set which is randomly picked, not multiple different voicesets.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 October 23, 20:43:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would such a method work for transitions through age groups? Such as giving an Adult Male the Child voice type?

I will fuck up your face in Denmark! COME! you also seem to be a flock of crapped nerds! COME! [...] That one goes to all of those retarrds that pretend to be a non-fag and yet suck my balls
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 October 23, 20:54:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No. It has been tried.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 October 23, 22:08:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No. It has been tried.

Bollocks. Thank'e anyways.

I've never actually noticed any fluctuationo in the voices based upon personality. Even 0-Outgoing, 0-Playful, 10-Neat Female Adults do that falsetto "AHHHH BABLAHHH" mocking-type voice over the phone. Is this abnormal?

I will fuck up your face in Denmark! COME! you also seem to be a flock of crapped nerds! COME! [...] That one goes to all of those retarrds that pretend to be a non-fag and yet suck my balls
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: