More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 12:52:50

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Trouble reinstalling (patch)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Trouble reinstalling (patch)  (Read 4890 times)
Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Trouble reinstalling (patch)
« on: 2008 October 16, 20:03:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I cannot download the Fairlight patched FT no cd crack. None of the download mirrors work for me, they all say the file has not been found.

Is there anyone who has a patched FT no cd crack laying around that they could share, or anyone with a link to a site where I can properly DL it? I fail at finding one myself.

My eternal thanks to anyone who can help me out.
« Last Edit: 2008 October 17, 08:27:19 by Nepheris » Logged
FourCats
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
Re: Trouble getting FT no cd crack
« Reply #1 on: 2008 October 17, 01:10:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

did you try gamecopyworld.com

May all your fears & worries come true.
Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 October 17, 08:26:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, I've got a no cd one now. (Whew)

However, I've got some more problems. As you could have guessed I am attempting a complete reinstall. The game itself installs just fine, my problem is with the patches.

I have done a 'proper' reinstall, meaning I deleted all files, in program files and my documents, cleaned out my trashcan, went into regedit and deleted the registry keys. This installation is squeaky clean as far as I know.

Yet when I try and run a patch, I get the standard windows error going 'An error has occured in TheSims2_updater_exe. This programme will now close down'. No matter what I do (I tried uninstalling and installing again, switching off my firewall, small animal sacrifices, etc.) the damn patch just won't install. This is the official patch from the Sims2.com site, and not a single one works. It doesn't work either if I just install the basegame and try to patch that.

Hlep?

Edit:

I am now replacing MATY as my religion. As soon as I posted this, I clicked the updater again to check if there was anything else in the error message that could help me out, and lo and behold: it worked just fine.
Now to try the rest of the expansions, but damn you lot work fast. And even without replying! Wink

Edit Edit:

Right, cancel that, the patch for University now throws the same wobbly, only further into the patching process. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, whether the patch just doesn't like me or what. Hopefully it will sort itself out as well after having tried it 20+ times... but in the meantime, anyone have experience with this sort of nonsense?

Yet another Edit:

Basegame, university, nightlife and open for business installed. All patches successful, except for the University one, which is still stuck right at the end of the update.
Is it necessary to install the university patch if I have newer expansions/patches installed?
« Last Edit: 2008 October 17, 09:56:15 by Nepheris » Logged
jwaas
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: Trouble reinstalling (patch)
« Reply #3 on: 2008 October 17, 14:25:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is "no."  My understanding is that each EP patch contains the patches for the previous EP.  So OFB should have taken care of UNI for you.  Smiley
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 October 17, 14:31:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Basegame, university, nightlife and open for business installed. All patches successful, except for the University one, which is still stuck right at the end of the update.
Is it necessary to install the university patch if I have newer expansions/patches installed?

AFAIK, the conventional wisdom on that still holds which is to say, yes, you should patch University because none of the other patches address the university issues.  I do seem to remember though Pescado saying someting about patches only altering the present objects.package and using old patches is pointless.  Sorry that didn't help did it?  I am hardly up to date on this stuff - hopefully someone more au fait will post someting useful instead.  

I did a complete install a while back when I got the new rig.  I had the odd trouble with the patches but did get them all to install in the end.  It sounds like you are having a worse time of it.  Completely off the top of my head, does deleting groups.cache help with this?   Also, did you run the game between each installation and each patch?  It seems to help some of the game settings 'settle' in.  I also had trouble installing one of the EPs - Nightlife, I think - and had to do a manual install.  This will always work and is worth remembering if you run into trouble installing an EP.  

Inteen for AL, yay!
Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 October 17, 14:55:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem with running the game before patching it is Suckurom - I don't want to have to change all the exe's and then patch again.  Wink

For future reference: (if anyone ever gets so unlucky to have the same amount of trouble with this as I had)

The problems I had with patching was NOT the result of something that went wrong during the installation of my game.

For some reason, the patches apparently do not always download properly. If a patch gives you trouble, redownload it. You might have to redownload several times (I had to redownload the University one 6 times before it worked), just keep trying until it works.

It really *is* the patch itself, as at one point I tried out the 3 different University patches again that I had downloaded. They consistently gave errors at the exact same place in the installation progress. (One threw an error message at the start, the other at the middle, the third one was fine.)

I've done some googling on the matter and it seems quite a few people had problems with the patches. Huzzah to EAxis for even managing to fuck up that one.  Roll Eyes
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 October 17, 18:24:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem with running the game before patching it is Suckurom - I don't want to have to change all the exe's and then patch again.  Wink

Well, you're right about that with the later EPs.  I bought the game and each EP as they came out and there wasn't a problem with that.  Sigh.  Still, glad you worked it out allright.

Inteen for AL, yay!
tgcgoddess
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 October 17, 19:43:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

According to the Sims2 website, the patch for Nightlife already includes the bugfixes for University.  So, if you managed to get Nightlife to work, you don't need to run the University one.

From the Nightlife Patch page...

Complete list of changes:
Includes The Sims 2 University bug fixes. See complete list.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: