More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 21:28:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  The Bowels of Trogdor
| |-+  The Small Intestines of Trogdor
| | |-+  Dumbest EAxis Coding Errors
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Dumbest EAxis Coding Errors  (Read 13203 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Dumbest EAxis Coding Errors
« on: 2008 November 24, 04:08:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's a challenge only us codey-types would get: List the DUMBEST code mistakes you have found in the EAxis codes. Because us programmers know that there is a continuum of error-stupidity ranging from simple misstatements to "acts of mindbogglingly incomprehensible stupidity".

Here's the one I found:
In AL->MGS, 7FB9261E 0x101A, the one for applying the physiology bonus, EAxis, for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON AT ALL, modified this BHAV...for the singular purpose of DELETING A NECESSARY LINE OF CODE that initialized a temp variable with non-garbage. There was absolutely NO REASON to modify this code, as it was not part of any larger code overhaul or rewrite, yet they did it anyway, with the effect of breaking it. WHY?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
Re: Dumbest EAxis Coding Errors
« Reply #1 on: 2008 November 24, 09:06:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe a programmer was working out their notice of termination?  Wink

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 November 24, 09:17:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While that makes for an amusing theory, it runs afoul of the entire "never attribute to malice what can easily be explained by stupidity" thing. What Stupid things have YOU found, Gray Fatness?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 November 24, 10:24:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OMG I'd get RSI before I was 10% through!

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
tunaisafish
Axe Murderer
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 November 24, 18:00:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not exactly dumb code, as it's not used.
Although why it has not been removed since the basegame I'm not sure.

7f647BAD 1002 CT - Change School
The programmer had one hell of a headache trying to write this.
51 nodes, of which 14 of them are breakpoints.
Wonder if the 'Manage Inventory' tutorial at MTS2 would have helped if it had been around.

Any others that beat 27% breakpoints?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 November 25, 01:11:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, a horrific number of breakpoints, while horrible code, isn't quite a coding ERROR: The code still WORKS, despite its lack of elegance. You gotta find truly horrible ERRORS, things that don't work in ways that make you go "WTF?"! Mere errors of copypasta that any programmer could have made is not enough, either. We're looking for those truly "WTF?" errors that have no logical reason to exist. Like the one I found.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: