More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 23:27:56

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Updated Monique's Cheap Computer (FreeTime) - No Longer Available
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Updated Monique's Cheap Computer (FreeTime) - No Longer Available  (Read 58207 times)
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: Updated Monique's Cheap Computer (FreeTime) - New Fixed/Final Version Availa
« Reply #50 on: 2008 May 22, 18:49:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No one owns an off-lot biz yet. I kept wondering why no sims were rolling "Entrepreneur - Xtype" until I realized I hadn't added it to Random Stuff. Oops. I have a ready-to-own car lot and restaurant, but they are unplayed until someone buys the lot. Any lot that requires employees to function is dead in the water until owned. Commercial investment being what it is, they basically drained off the tax fund for no point whatsoever until someone deems to purchase them and half the lot cost goes back into the tax fund (half cost as an incentive to starting a business). That being said, I haven't decided what kind of tax they'll pay. Probably a flat fee-per-business each time they pay property taxes. Since the tax system has nothing to do with income, what level they are or how much they make wouldn't affect anything.

Property taxes on lots with home businesses don't differ from lots without businesses. Yeah, they potentially have the opportunity to make a lot of money. I negate a bit of this by not allowing your basic retail biz on residential lots (farm stands are fine) and not taking the money incentives, ever. I check the lot value and just transfer 10% to the mayor. I do this right when the season gauge fills full, or at 6:00 am if it fills in the middle of the night (don't want to mess with sleep patterns). Since that's when I rotate, it works. Load house, play for days, season bar fills, pay taxes, switch houses. Houses are numbered in the description and I have a couple of maps to help since they were placed randomly. One map is of the empty terrain with a numbering guide and street names. The other is gridded, with numbered and color-coded occupied spaces.

At least one person in every family knows the mayor. This is going to change when Penelope Bleu takes over...she was a marry-in who just happened to be a Senator already and would have the necessary skillpoints for mayordom right before the Mayor kicks it. So I'll have to transfer to household funds instead and have the mayor transfer it all in one hit into their savings account. No biggie. One more line on my spreadsheet...I already keep one for townie aging tracking. Every time it's time to start playing the mansion I roll the randomizer to see if a community lot will be built and of which type. Then, I build a lot within the account parameters and transfer/donate moneys out of the bank account. If I don't have enough to build a respectable lot, they get something crappy. Case-in-point: Atomic Arcade. I have no pics on me, but the thing is butt-ugly, tiny, and has almost nothing in it. After Six, the teen hangout, was built after I had skipped a round as far as building goes and is much nicer. Still kind of empty, but that's what later community improvement initiatives are for when land is too full to build anymore community lots and I'm occupied switching from single-family residences to duplexes and lowrises.

Another thing: residents can't just start off-lot businesses whenever they want to. They can only take over pre-built lots. Right now, if someone wanted to own 5 level ten businesses, they'd be screwed. This amuses me.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Chaavik
Dimwitted Dunce

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
Re: Updated Monique's Cheap Computer (FreeTime) - New Fixed/Final Version Available
« Reply #51 on: 2008 May 23, 07:11:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I tweaked some of the options in the TTAB for all of the versions I did (Cheap, Expensive, Laptop and Sunair Light) to reduce autonomous behavior that was seen in not just FreeTime but previous expansion packs. I didn't like seeing my Sims gravitate to one of Monique's versions and stand there for hours next to the Sim using the computer or trying to initiate a conversation with that said Sim. I think Twojeff's version only affected Maxis computers from FreeTime and earlier expansion packs, BUT I did have the non-autonomous version of his fix for the regular Maxis computers on community lots. I wasn't really into redesigning the existing community lots, and yes I am lazy when it comes to redesigning sometimes.  Grin

You can change the autonomy level of the options by putting "32" in the Autonomy field box in TTAB. 32 is considered as the acceptable level for autonomous behavior whereas 64 is considered as the acceptable level for non-autonomous behavior. I haven't touched the core functions of the Write Article functions (BHAVs) myself. I simply changed the autonomy level and unchecked some of the functions (Visitors, children and so forth for what would be perceived as appropriate or to keep within the Maxis idea - I.E. Children weren't allowed to go visit community lots on their own unless they were taken there by teen and older Sims. So why should they be able to write restaurant guides? Or even novels for that matter?) The Sunair Light version is somewhat different. Visitors can write articles on that one. If anyone else want to tweak the TTAB on other versions, all they have to do is tick the Visitors checkbox for those Write Article-related functions and change from 64 to 32 in the Autonomy field boxes in TTAB.

I simply prefer not having any of my Sims become stupid by going over to stand by the computer for hours and staring at other Sims using the computers. They really creeped me out.. I do hope you understand why these versions have no autonomy with reasonable limitations to allow only employees to study badges on business lots almost immediately when they're told by their bosses to go study them.

I really liked those ideas.. Vocational schools.. I can imagine new possibilities...

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Updated Monique's Cheap Computer (FreeTime) - New Fixed/Final Version Availa
« Reply #52 on: 2008 May 23, 16:47:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One map is of the empty terrain with a numbering guide and street names. The other is gridded, with numbered and color-coded occupied spaces.

Thanks for sharing. I have extensive spreadsheets, and I thought I was anal. But color-coded maps?  Grin Show them, show them! //Jumping up and down.

I like your idea of all comm lots have to be built by the "town". I think I have pretty good limitation on building up since all building (and buying furniture) activities have to come from crafted goods. But that's another way to think about, and I like the sound of it.

stand there for hours next to the Sim using the computer or trying to initiate a conversation with that said Sim

Talking about this, I have sims do this to a sim that's sunbathing, or birdwatching, and never give up waiting and following around until I do something to drag one of them away. Really annoying. I had to disable sunbathing and birdwatching, just for this reason. Is there a fix somewhere?

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
Chaavik
Dimwitted Dunce

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
Re: Updated Monique's Cheap Computer (FreeTime) - New Fixed/Final Version Available
« Reply #53 on: 2008 May 23, 18:10:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Pescado's antivacationactions (I think that's who I got it from since it's sitting in my Pescado-MATY folder) and twojeff's noautonomousbeachactivities for those things. I used jase's teen_birdwatch_fix to enable teenagers to do birdwatching but it also curbs (in his words) obsessive/compulsive behavior in teens and up. I haven't had problems with Sims bothering other Sims when they do birdwatching.

Give those a whirl and see what happens. I don't know if jase still has that one up on his site, but worth a shot to see.

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2008 May 23, 18:34:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lion, mind if I move this to the Podium? I hate hijacking threads, though I do it a lot. Plus, we haven't had a good open sim-playing-strategy discussion for awhile. Those are always good fodder.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2008 May 23, 19:16:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Pescado's antivacationactions (I think that's who I got it from since it's sitting in my Pescado-MATY folder) and twojeff's noautonomousbeachactivities for those things. I used jase's teen_birdwatch_fix to enable teenagers to do birdwatching but it also curbs (in his words) obsessive/compulsive behavior in teens and up. I haven't had problems with Sims bothering other Sims when they do birdwatching.

Give those a whirl and see what happens. I don't know if jase still has that one up on his site, but worth a shot to see.

Yes, I have all of the above. Also Inge's new hack (still in testing) to stop unwanted activities. What I need now is to stop the obsession with occupied sims (beach activities, birdwatch), then I won't need those activity squashing mods.

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
cocomo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2008 September 01, 16:12:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Will this be updated for AL?
Chaavik
Dimwitted Dunce

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2008 September 01, 16:43:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This computer was originally a beta version for FreeTime. The complete version for FT is at Insiminator. I plan to upload the complete version of Monique's Cheap Computer in a little bit. I forgot about replacing the computer until someone reminded me.  Grin

Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2008 September 03, 15:17:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Chaavik, your Free Time version (I DLed it from this thread) always worked perfectly in my game. Thanks for your work, I am glad that you plan to do an AL one as well.

More F than you
Vren Lyet
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2008 September 03, 21:33:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love this computer and I REALLY appreciate your work. I'm so glad to have this object still available for all EPs!

I wonder: how much of an effort is it to apply all those nice options to another custom computer?
When it comes to my experiences with modding TS2, I have to admit, the farthest I've got was editing some pie menu strings with SimPE.
How much more involved must one get to add those BHAV functions (I'm on the right track here, right?) to another custom computer?

If anyone could point me in the right direction for that I'd appreciate it very much! Smiley

And - please - keep going with those updates - thanx in advance by the way - I can barely wait for the AL version...

Black holes suck!
Gwenke
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2008 September 28, 20:35:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are tons of FT-compatible versions at SimCave : http://www.simscave.com/ferris/index.php?topic=3264.0
Chaavik
Dimwitted Dunce

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2008 September 30, 02:20:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had not been contacted by the person who ran that thread about uploading the FT version of MQ's computer there. I suggest having the link removed because I do have a policy about both FT and AL versions of MQ's Computer/Laptop Variety being uploaded elsewhere.

BTW, the newly updated AL and FT versions are located at Insimenator. I moved my threads to Squinge's Mods where they will be updated by me and handled on a daily basis.

The old computer is no longer available or needed in this thread.

mommytotwo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2008 September 30, 11:44:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had not been contacted by the person who ran that thread about uploading the FT version of MQ's computer there. I suggest having the link removed because I do have a policy about both FT and AL versions of MQ's Computer/Laptop Variety being uploaded elsewhere.

BTW, the newly updated AL and FT versions are located at Insimenator. I moved my threads to Squinge's Mods where they will be updated by me and handled on a daily basis.

The old computer is no longer available or needed in this thread.

This is what I posted at simscave.
I didn't mean any disrespect to you Chaavik when I uploaded them. I didn't see where you said anything about not modifying the pcs and that's my fault. I did these firstly for myself and some friends since they options are very very limited and decided on a fly to upload them. I never thought it would be a problem since the original build of the computer was Monique's and you were nice enough to update them for us. I never took credit for your work. If it's that big of an issue i'll take them down when I get a chance.
enrico palazzo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Updated Monique's Cheap Computer (FreeTime) - No Longer Available
« Reply #63 on: 2008 September 30, 12:06:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the readme that came with the computers I downloaded from inSim last week, the only restrictions you place on using them is that they are not to be redistributed on paysites or the exchange.

Perhaps that is the source of the confusion?  Huh

Please let mommytotwo keep her files up. You also say in your readme that you don't take requests for new/different computer meshes and people obviously are looking for them.   Smiley
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: 2008 September 30, 16:35:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the Good Old Days, lack of permission meant no permission.  Only punctuationless spotty youths would clone, copy or share someone else's work without permission.  What Chaavik did would be considered wrong in the first place (if Monique could not be contacted then she didn't give permission for her work to be used as a base), and what Mommytotwo did simply compounded that.   There seem to be some very different attitudes with the new set of players who joined the Sims world with Sims2, and it's not surprising these misunderstandings arise.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: 2008 September 30, 19:19:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh noes, Sims players are butthurt about sharing and modifying cc again.  Waaaah wahhh, boo hoo.  Other gaming communities share and modify content freely without insisting on ownership, and those communities are better for it.  In our community, people are reluctant to share even abandoned content for fear that someone will get all bent out of shape over it.

Does anyone really wonder why so many new hair styles use Nouk textures and why Enlaya's textures get used on tons of skins and eyes?  Those creators are among the few who are widely known to have an open sharing policy.  We'd get far more variety if more creators could be as unselfish as they are.  Imagine how much better things would be if every hair mesher allowed others to modify their work -- I'd release some of the free hair meshes I've animated for my own use.  Ever see a texture that would be awesome if only it was on a different mesh?  You could have it and share it if only Sims creators would allow it.  We have a creator here at MATY who can't share face template replacements on MTS2 because some wanker accused her of "stealing" the facial geometry from his sim.  Use a magazine to photoskin a dress without knowing that another creator used the same source already?  OH NOES YOU ARE A THIEF!!   Roll Eyes

If Sims 2 players don't understand the rules we came up with in the Sims 1 days, good!

/rant
Chaavik, get over yourself.  Is your name Monique?  No?  Then what are you complaining about?

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: 2008 September 30, 19:59:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It would be nice if Sims content creators were happy to make their work an unconditional gift to the playing community.  But if they have not done so, it's still intellectual theft to simply treat it as if they had done.   A non-updated mod is still still as much copyright morally as an out-of-print book.   There is technically no obligation for the book to be updated to make it relevant to today's readers in order to maintain that copyright.

It was very convenient for us all that Chaavik took it upon herself to make the decision to copy part of someone else's work in order to work further on it, and I am not so morally constipated that I haven't enjoyed the results in my own game.  However, in this scenario, how to decide who is right and wrong in the context of the Sims community is an interesting conundrum.   The community ethics are still in the process of changing.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2008 September 30, 20:13:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which is kind of ridiculous, given how long the community has been a community. Personal opinion, since we seem to be dogpiling and I love a good free-for-all, is that this should have been taken to PM regardless. As for credit and sharing....well. My policy has been stated before. I don't give a crap what you do with my stuff. Openly mock it, say you made it, modify it and call me a doo-doo head, etc, etc, just don't put it on a paysite. But I'm weird. Regardless of what your policy is, you should clearly state it both on the site/thread you post on, as well as in the RTFM if applicable. Don't get all butthurt if someone doesn't psychically know what you want. Chaavik has now clearly stated her(?) policy at Insim, so hopefully future misunderstandings won't occur.

Yes, things get muddy when you're already modifying the work of someone you were incapable of getting permission from. However, clear policy from someone who isn't charging for their mod (which to me voids their rights as they are going against the EULA by charging) should always be heeded, to the best of your ability.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2008 September 30, 21:41:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hell, look at how Spore does it -- if you use someone else's building or vehicle, and just recolor it to your liking, it's sent back up to the Sporepedia as your creation.  Which I think is silly, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this type of setup turn up in other games (Sims 3, maybe, anyone?).

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Chaavik
Dimwitted Dunce

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2008 October 01, 06:18:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to say something here after I've read the comments in this thread since the last post I made recently.

Monique has been and still is MIA from the Sims 2 community, and the lack of a policy to accompany her work did not imply she has or has NOT given permission for her work to be improved upon with new features and fixes to allow players to continue enjoying the new features and fixes on her work that had been a very important contribution to the community. I waited a long while to see if she would update her work for FT and double-checked to see if she has any restrictions or policies in place to dictate how she wanted her work to be redistributed or recolored. When I started working on my own version(s) of her work(s) to add two new badges originally, I intended for this to be my own work and had no plans to release the newly updated work. I came across a snag in SimPE and posted the issue in the forums at SimPE's site, I had people ask if I intend to release the newly updated work or not. I had people tell me how sorely they miss not having these computers for FT and then AL. What do I do? I uploaded them for people to enjoy with their FT and AL EPs. With a policy to be contacted for permission to upload anywhere else beside the site I uploaded to and to be contacted about any improvements to the work I've done as well to Monique's work. The reason I have one for all of the versions I worked and improved upon is because if people download the adaptations of the work I've done from other sites, and if I get contacted about some botched job with the computer(s) based on the features and fixes I added, then who do I know to contact to relay the issues to? If Zizismommy contacted me beforehand for permission to upload her version of the work I've done in addition to the computer meshes and textures she did, THEN I would know who to contact if someone came to my threads at Insim with an issue thinking I was the one who released the computer that person downloaded to use.

The credit had been given to Monique, the explanation had been given to why the computers were updated, and the effort to reach her did not succeed. You know, I would've asked her for permission to update her computers IF she was still in the community, but she hasn't been heard from since October 2007. No one had been able to reach her for quite a bit of time. No emails, no posts, no nothing. There was no way I could contact her if no one else had been able to either.

If you want to discuss intellectual rights, you are welcome to discuss them all you want. I try not to get myself involved with these issues regarding people's mods/creations, intellectual rights, legal ownership of the digital works using the tools provided by Maxis-then-Eaxis and God Knows What Else. I don't profit from any of the work I do money-wise.

I go to your mod/creation on your thread/site to download something I can enjoy in my game and only my game, and why have I chosen your mod/creation over someone else's mod/creation is because I prefer your mod/creation to someone else's for the way I play my game. If I know you're actively involved in the community and actively updating your mods/creations and if I have issues with or ideas for your mods/creations, I try to find a way to contact you for help or questions whether they be in forums on the sites you host or frequent or in PMs to the sites I think you're on more than other sites.

I did everything I could to ensure I gave Takasim2005 (for his laptop after I had his permission via private email), Monique and happygolucky (recolors) the proper credit for their works, the links to their original threads, the statements about their works and the support I try to provide not only for her work but mine as well. I tried to at least check her threads to see if she returned or not. The day she returns will be the day I ask her for permission to continue hosting the updated computers for future generations of players to enjoy if they choose not to play Sims 3. If she preferred not for me to continue hosting them, then I will take them off the site where I am hosting them at.

I would have been what you would describe as a new generation of Sims 2 players if I did NOT give Takasim2005, Monique and happygolucky credit for their works, claimed the work as wholly my own work and uploaded my work to a pay site so I could make a bit of money myself.

But I am not that Sims 2 player.

Bastdawn, are you Monique's representative? Do you know when she'll be back or not? Do you know some special way to get in touch with her? If you answer no to all of the questions, then don't tell me to get over this crap. Don't tell me how I should conduct myself. I don't jump all over you with sophomoric comments like what you've said in your post. How I want to do the updates and new features on Monique's original works and how I want to be acknowledged/contacted/credited for what I've done is is my own business, not yours.

BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: 2008 October 02, 12:49:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I don't know Monique.  I also see no real difference between what you've done and what was posted at Sims Cave, although I agree that sending people to you for tech support was pretty stupid.  If she had taken over that aspect, would you still be upset?

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: