More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 07:23:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Serious Business
| |-+  Secret Desert Headquarters
| | |-+  Spore Discussions
| | | |-+  Patch weirdness
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Patch weirdness  (Read 7992 times)
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
Patch weirdness
« on: 2008 September 26, 02:58:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just ran my first Space game with the cracked patch, and the missions refused to update properly.  They all behaved as if they were minimized, with nothing more than the bare details showing in the tracking boxes.  I had to open the "lockbox" menu and view the details there, which is really clumsy compared to just seeing the target planet / star name on the main screen.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
Re: Patch weirdness
« Reply #1 on: 2008 September 26, 03:16:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's working fine for me.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 26, 03:53:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There were two no-cd.exes floating around on Pirate Bay for the patch, and I think one of them is/was bad.  The good one I have is named 'Crack SPORE ((v1.1.0.358)).rar', and I haven't had any problems with it (other than the problems the patch introduced, anyway).

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 26, 14:05:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was using the .358 version from GameFixes (no, not the version with the trojan,that's been pulled).  I just grabbed the version you mentioned and it's doing the same thing.

- Gus

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 26, 14:28:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe it's one of those patch glitches, which seem to be different for different folks.  The main patch glitch I've seen is excessive lag or outright screen freeze when I'm on-planet in a battle, like the game can't handle all the screen action.  The only way to free it is to switch to the other screen mode (i.e., from fullscreen to windowed). I've seen other reports of this since the patch.  I know it's not my video card or system, since both are WAY over the specs for the game.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 26, 16:30:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone else's animals disappear sometimes?  They are there but you just cant see them or scan them?

Hellyes
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 26, 17:45:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it a game that was started before the patch?  I wonder if it's one of those cases where you have to start all over with a new game/the old game isn't able to be fixed or changed by the patch.
Dopp
Corpulent Cretin

Not Awesome Indeed

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 26, 17:52:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you try deleting the package files in the Spore directory to force the game to properly generate new ones?
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 September 26, 19:00:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you try deleting the package files in the Spore directory to force the game to properly generate new ones?

Especially 'GraphicCache.package', which can get corrupted very easily.  Gee, that sounds familiar to Sims players, eh? Smiley

(Oh, and stupidly, EA has 'hidden' all these game-related files, in case you don't know -- they're under your 'C:\Documents and Settings\<your id>\Application Data\Spore' directory, instead of being in a logical place like, oh say, My Documents.  If you have system folders hidden, you'll have to unhide them to see this directory.)

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 September 26, 19:05:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hell my system keeps on hiding them despite having them unhidden and I have to type it in . Stupid windows.

Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 September 26, 20:35:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just discovered that with the patch, transiting a black hole causes the game to lock up.  Cool.

And yeah, I did delete the GraphicsCache.package.

- Gus

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 September 26, 22:29:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, I was about to do that for the first time tonight -- I'll see if I have the same problem.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 September 27, 00:14:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm really screwed now.

I "completed" the game as a Diplomat, and started a new Cell stage with the idea that I'd try Piscado's Red / Reg / Green / Blue approach, to see how practical it was.  And the game never showed me a cell.  The meteorite cracked open, and there was nothing there.  There was nothing to move, and I never transitioned to the point where you can see stuff floating in the water.

I tried reverting at that point, but the old EXE crashes with a pure virtual call if you try and run it with new data files.

So that's it.  Until they patch it again, I'm done with Spore.

EDIT: I thought of a workaround.  I deleted my entire AppData directory, and started the pre-patch .EXE.  Now I can start Cell creatures again, but the game doesn't classify any of the stuff I made under "my creations."  It's in the "everything" pool instead, even though it's in My Spore Creations folder.

- Gus
« Last Edit: 2008 September 27, 01:20:08 by Gus Smedstad » Logged

Dopp
Corpulent Cretin

Not Awesome Indeed

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 September 27, 03:39:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Happened with me too. Just edit your creations and make some minor change, the game will then allow you to save it as 'your' creation again.
Baron
Tyyppi
Horrible Halfwit

Even more arrows in knees!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 September 27, 04:56:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only weird thing I've encountered after patching is that I can no longer skip the intro screen.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 September 27, 15:11:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can skip the intro screen; they just changed the point where you have to hit escape to do it.  You have to wait until the EA logo explodes, and then hit escape.  If you do it before, you're stuck watching the whole thing.

I went through wormholes no problem last night, so on my game the patch is ok, at least.  The only real problem I have is extreme lag and screen freezing while in a battle.  I've learned that spore doesn't like high resolutions, as the problem had gotten better the lower I set the resolution. Even windowed, resolutions higher than 1280 have problems, which is nuts for a game in this day and age.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: