More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 03:06:01

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Hundreds of character files
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Hundreds of character files  (Read 8835 times)
raynuss
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Hundreds of character files
« on: 2008 September 24, 21:43:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Firstly, I have all expansions up to AL. I have Pescado's hacks for no townie regen, no stray regen, no Secret Society respawn and his anti-redundancy hack. I'm creating a new neighborhood using the default templates with one shopping district, one downtown, one uni hood and two vacation hoods. I've not "played" the hoods at all. I'm just building houses and decorating the hoods. No custom sims have been created. When I checked the Character folder, it lists 635 character files Shocked. I opened the neighborhood in SimPe and it only shows 60 sims and they're all stray pets. The remaining 575 are all labeled "unknown". Also when I open the neighborhood, SimPe spits out a warning that duplicate sims have been found and could cause gameplay problems. The duplicate sims SimPe is referring to are the "unknowns" who all have the same Guid (0x00000000) and inst (0x0000). When I open the Character Folder with Clean Installer, it shows no duplicates and every sim has a name.  What in blue blazes are all these character files? It takes forever to load the neighborhood, because the game has to read all those files. I was advised on another forum site to just delete the character files, but I an hesitant to do that because it can cause the neighborhood to go all wonky and crash the game. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to stop this Eaxis nonsense and get rid of all those extra character files clogging up my game.   Huh
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Hundreds of character files
« Reply #1 on: 2008 September 24, 21:44:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ignore this issue. SimPE is just broken. Is this even AL SimPE? *IS* there even an AL-SimPE yet? Who knows?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
raynuss
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 24, 22:01:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The issue is not whether SimPe works or doesn't, but why I have 650 character files in a hood that I haven't even played yet.  And for your information, yes there is a SimPe for AL, still in testing, but it does exist.  I thought you, of all people,  would know that!
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 24, 22:05:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why would he? Pescado uses 'Ye Olde' SimPe.

aubreylaraine
Corpulent Cretin

not a morning person

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 24, 22:33:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

sometimes simpe doesn't update names and pictures, but that may or may not be what's happening to you here. did you just look at the neighborhood or did you actually open the sim browser. i've noticed that if i am missing a sim in the neighborhood section they are marked as unknown until i click on them in the browser. but the duplicate message popup sounds like what i had when i didn't update simpe for pets, 'cause ima dork.

opportunity may knock once, but temptation will bang on your door forever.
infj
those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 24, 23:03:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unless you are using clean templates you will get lots of characters when you create neighbourhoods.  Pescado's hacks only prevents the game from creating even more as gameplay progresses.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 24, 23:30:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ignore this issue. SimPE is just broken. Is this even AL SimPE? *IS* there even an AL-SimPE yet? Who knows?

Yes, there is -- Inge and Peter have released it in the absence of Quaxi.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
BrokenRobot
Dimwitted Dunce

sekrit Republican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 25, 00:12:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those character files are townies that were created when you added all those subhoods.  650 shouldn't be enough to cause problems, though.
raynuss
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 September 25, 13:24:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the nice replies (not you, Pescado!).  But why are there so many?  I checked other hoods that I've played and the most I've found is 487 characters.  My hood with 650 I haven't even played yet.  Won't it generate even more as I play and NPC's are callled by the game? 
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 September 25, 15:15:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you played the other ones since Apartment Life? The template for AL has around 90 character files. Not 100% sure of the exact number as I threw that crap out before I ever started the game. Do you have more Universities in this 'hood? More vacation areas?

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
SnootCB
Irritating Ignoramus

my cat is moar awesome than u

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 September 25, 15:33:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is not unusual, though it is a bit annoying.  I have a brand-new custom 'hood with only 14 CAS or born-in-game sims, but a total of 690 character files, most of which were created after installing AL.  Many of the clique townies generated by AL are not based on actual templates as far as I can tell, because I have mods that allow townies to randomly generate with facial hair, glasses, and alien skin/eyes and about 1/2 to 2/3 of the new townies are generated with one or more of the above.  This new neighborhood has only a base, one downtown, one business district, and one university.  I finally got tired of the game adding 5-20 character files every time I opened the 'hood so I installed notownieregen.
raynuss
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 September 25, 22:08:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you played the other ones since Apartment Life? The template for AL has around 90 character files. Not 100% sure of the exact number as I threw that crap out before I ever started the game. Do you have more Universities in this 'hood? More vacation areas?

I played the hood that came with AL for just a short time to get acquainted with the new expansion.  That hood has 487 character files.  I guess it is normal to have >650 character files with AL plus the subhoods I have.  Sure is a annoying though.
Ruann
Dimwitted Dunce

An overactive male imagination

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2008 September 26, 14:02:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And this is why they invented Emtpy templates and notownieregen. 
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 September 28, 23:07:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the nice replies (not you, Pescado!).  But why are there so many?  I checked other hoods that I've played and the most I've found is 487 characters.  My hood with 650 I haven't even played yet.  Won't it generate even more as I play and NPC's are callled by the game? 

No, NPCs are generated when you create the neighbrhood unless you have empty templates.  My latest neighborhood was created with empty templates and all I have done for a week is place lots and renovate them.  Guess how many character files I have so far?  None, my character folder is empty.

ISFJ
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 September 29, 03:35:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The exception being an unpatched BV last-EP game (unholy multiplying charlatans) and an AL game without notownieregen, due to apartment townies now spawning at an estimated rate of 1 per game load.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 September 29, 15:03:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't done a numbers test with AL yet but with FT in an otherwise completely new custom hood, the game will generate 506 sims.  This is when you include a custom and therefore empty downtown, university and shopping district.  If you use the Maxis ones, the total will be higher.  600+ sims for AL seems about right to me with the social groups and extra NPCs that come with it.  Character files are not generated until you open the hood and some character files are not generated until you play (reporter, garden club person etc.).  Edit: I am talking about loading a new custom neighbourhood without empty templates and no respawn hacks in.
« Last Edit: 2008 October 01, 10:54:30 by maxon » Logged

Inteen for AL, yay!
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008 September 30, 01:54:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a new AL hood that I started for a new apoc challenge. I created 16 townies, turned 11 pre-made characters into townies, and made 16 YAs for the Uni. Family has 1 CAS sim and 4 born in game. I have wolves, but no strays. Total number of character files: 148. I'm using clean templates and all the no regen hacks. I'm not sure why some hoods get less than others.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: