More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 16:42:57

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Serious Business
| |-+  Secret Desert Headquarters
| | |-+  Spore Discussions
| | | |-+  Common Origin to All Life in the Galaxy? (Getting Rid of Downloads)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Common Origin to All Life in the Galaxy? (Getting Rid of Downloads)  (Read 4407 times)
Dopp
Corpulent Cretin

Not Awesome Indeed

View Profile
Common Origin to All Life in the Galaxy? (Getting Rid of Downloads)
« on: 2008 September 24, 16:00:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My game keeps downloading rubbish that appears in my game. This is despite me playing offline. For some reason, the downloaded content mostly comprises earlier stages of the creature I'm playing in my current game. Thus, I keep coming across earlier stages of the very race I'm playing. In the tribal stage, my creatures hunt themselves as food. In the space stage, they bump into themselves on every other planet, ranging in development from hostile rival space empire to wild indigenous predator. Is there a way to a) stop the game from downloading rubbish that I have deleted for the 100th time, and b) prevent the game from reusing earlier stages of a particular creature. I always delete earlier stages of whatever creature I create as soon as I advance to the next stage, but the game keeps downloading them right back.
Milhouse Trixibelle Saltfucker III
Saltfucking Weasel
Terrible Twerp

How is a weasel like a writing desk?

View Profile
Re: Common Origin to All Life in the Galaxy? (Getting Rid of Downloads)
« Reply #1 on: 2008 September 24, 16:04:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It isn't downloading back things you have deleted, the problem is that earlier stages cannot be deleted. Every time you edit your creature, it saves a copy of the old version; these copies are hidden and therefore difficult to delete. If you toggle "Buddy Content" off and then on again (or vice-versa) in the options, you should be able to see them and delete them, but I may be remembering incorrectly.

04:49 <@Pescado> That seems somehow unnecessarily cruel.

21:17 < Kewian> Trixie one day you are going to pay for your crimes.

Your source for blood and circuses.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 24, 16:31:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is a feature, though I've never had one race find earlier stages of itself. Other races, sure.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 24, 17:13:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had it happen once in space -- I found a planet that had a tribal version of the race I was playing.  I dropped a monolith on them. Smiley (New challenge -- wander the galaxy and find your other 11 'tribes', ala Battlestar Galactica.)

I have seen one of my other races show up as an Epic once, though.  That threw me for a minute, I was so surprised.  I didn't realize until that moment that the Epics are just random larger versions of the creatures already in your local catalog.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 24, 18:57:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I've been through one game (out of 14 saved) where this guy wasn't made an epic. Maybe eight of those he was also a tribal. My game really, really, really loves him.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 24, 18:58:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, one of the things the game will occasionally do if you have renamed your creature at any point in play is that it will reimport the PNGs thinking they are new downloads after you have deleted them. You should also purge your "my Splotch creations" directory of all the PNGs so that the game cannot reimport them.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 25, 00:48:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Will that mess up the History window at all? Since it shows the previous versions of your creature.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 25, 14:53:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It will cause the boxes to go blank under the new patch. Unpatched, they tended to become white squares. Nobody ever reads the ancient histories anyway.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: