More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 17:32:50

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Serious Business
| |-+  Secret Desert Headquarters
| | |-+  Spore Discussions
| | | |-+  Any ideas on how to deal with the Grox?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Any ideas on how to deal with the Grox?  (Read 39814 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Any ideas on how to deal with the Grox?
« Reply #25 on: 2008 October 09, 13:52:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But with the no Galactic Core limit mod, you will have the exact same interstellar range as always.
Which is totally not the issue at hand. The issue at hand is that I am over HERE (points at spot on galactic map), while they are over THERE (points at center map). While these places look relatively close together, zooming in so that I can actually CLICK on something reveals that they are NOT. This distance, not specifically affected by the "Galactic Core Limit", is the REAL obstacle to my encountering any Grox. The enormous BIGNESS of it all renders the Grox an irrelevant and distant concern at this point in time.

Also, from the above two lines from a particular property listing, does it mean the Grox empire stretch across 2400 star systems, within a radius of 105 units from the galactic core.
Assuming you can destroy a planet every minute, it will take about 1.6 days of continuous bombardment at this rate to kill them all. At $2.5M per planetbuster, the total cost for this mission is 6 billion buckazoids, or about 6 wagonloads of cash. Better Planet Bazaar will make spending this much money somewhat more feasible. Otherwise you will need to load up about 25 ships with planetbusters to accomplish this holy war.

Attempting to perform a similar task with Graviton Wave or Fanatical Frenzy will necessitate saving and reloading the game after each act of destruction, probably increasing your time per planet destroyed to 2-3 minutes. The Grox may not realize that they are under attack if this method is used: At least with Fanatical Frenzy, races subjected to it recognize it only as a violation of Galactic Code, rather than an attack against them. While normal races react negatively to violations of galactic code, thus having the same effect as directly attacking them, the Grox actually like code violations and thus may not react to being attacked in such a manner. Average time to terraform a planet is about 5 minutes, probably longer when being attacked while doing it. It is unknown how resilient a Grox T0 colony is to conventional bombing, but a conventional bombardment can destroy a 3-city maxed colony in about 2 minutes.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
LunaJupi
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2008 October 10, 01:17:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have no idea. The galaxy is really fucking huge and the galactic core is a longass way away.
But with the no Galactic Core limit mod, you will have the exact same interstellar range as always. So it should not be that hard. I'm working on a way to reduce the time it takes of the Staff of Life to turn a planet to T3. So if I succeed in that, we should be able to remove the Grox once and for all.

Code:
<int32 name="grobEmpireSize" id="0x0195E031">2400</int32>
<float name="grobStarsSpreadRadius" id="0x0195E032">105</float>

Also, from the above two lines from a particular property listing, does it mean the Grox empire stretch across 2400 star systems, within a radius of 105 units from the galactic core.

If this is the case, it would take a while to remove all Grox from the galaxy.

Regards,
Karthik

I have that mod too, no interstellar space travel limit and unlimited Staff of Life. I can take out a Grox planet in 2 seconds with the Staff of Life; just get in, drop the SOL and get out. I am cheating and pausing every once in a while to use the "refillmotives" cheat though. In 5 minutes, I can take out like 10 Grox planets. Does anyone know if they can rebuild? It would suck to waste all that time destroying all the Grox, just to have them start building up their empire again. There should be a mod that prevents them from building another colony once one is destroyed.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2008 October 10, 02:09:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It would suck to waste all that time destroying all the Grox, just to have them start building up their empire again. There should be a mod that prevents them from building another colony once one is destroyed.
It's called a "planetbuster". Not even the Grox can live on a pile of rubble.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
LunaJupi
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2008 October 10, 04:31:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It would suck to waste all that time destroying all the Grox, just to have them start building up their empire again. There should be a mod that prevents them from building another colony once one is destroyed.
It's called a "planetbuster". Not even the Grox can live on a pile of rubble.

But that's too expensive and will make everyone else hate me. Even that "Planetbusters don't cause hate" mod doesn't work for me for some reason. If I make the planets T3, can the Grox bring them back down to T0 or not? If they can't, that's just as effective as blowing up the planet.
EsotericPolarBear
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2008 October 10, 14:17:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

AFAIK, computer players can't terraform.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2008 October 10, 14:26:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But that's too expensive and will make everyone else hate me. Even that "Planetbusters don't cause hate" mod doesn't work for me for some reason. If I make the planets T3, can the Grox bring them back down to T0 or not? If they can't, that's just as effective as blowing up the planet.
Only those within 10pc will witness the act and hate you. Since you are all the way in a distant arm of the galaxy, and the only people who will witness the atrocity are the Grox, because you are kinda DEMOLISHING THE BOWELS OF GROX SPACE, no one will care!

As for expensive...you are amassing a coalition of 6-25 of your own races in a massive effort to eliminate an empire of some 2.4K planets from the galaxy. No matter WHAT you do, it's going to be expensive! Either it will cost you a fortune in cash, a fortune in time, or, most likely, BOTH! Get used to it!

EsotericPolarBear
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2008 October 10, 14:32:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

because you are kinda DEMOLISHING THE BOWELS OF GROX SPACE, no one will care!

Except the Grox who won't know whether to love you because you're using planet busters or hate you because you're using it on them.
Dopp
Corpulent Cretin

Not Awesome Indeed

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2008 October 10, 14:34:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't actually met the Grox yet, but I am wondering if I should. If the 'normal' path to the galactic core involves fighting one's way through Grox space, and if the Grox can mount retaliatory attacks on your homeworlds halfway across the galaxy, and if the typical Grox attack is powerful enough to destroy the most heavily defended colony, and if you can't make peace with the Grox afterwards, and if all you get afterwards is a lousy staff with 42 charges, then what's the point? You'll be fighting off Grox attacks forever and you can't even 'sort of' ignore them like you can with pirates. It sounds like attempting to follow the game's tutorials (specifically the 'explore galactic core' one) condemns your race to eventual extinction at the hands of the Grox.
« Last Edit: 2008 October 10, 14:44:30 by Dopp » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2008 October 10, 15:04:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's also that minor problem the Galactic Core being a MILLION BAJILLION KAJILLION MILES AWAY. Even the most generous starting position does not exactly put it anywhere close to reasonable range!

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2008 October 10, 15:35:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And the Grox seem to have more advanced interstellar drives than everyone else, because they can show up a bajillion kajillion miles away from their nearest world to thump one of your colonies.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
LunaJupi
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2008 October 10, 23:09:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Only those within 10pc will witness the act and hate you. Since you are all the way in a distant arm of the galaxy, and the only people who will witness the atrocity are the Grox, because you are kinda DEMOLISHING THE BOWELS OF GROX SPACE, no one will care!

As for expensive...you are amassing a coalition of 6-25 of your own races in a massive effort to eliminate an empire of some 2.4K planets from the galaxy. No matter WHAT you do, it's going to be expensive! Either it will cost you a fortune in cash, a fortune in time, or, most likely, BOTH! Get used to it!

True, true. And I wasn't aware of the 10pc thing, that's helpful. I think I'll just go with getting all their planets to T3 though, then they'll actually be inhabitable for my allies, who can work to get rid of the Grox WITH me. Or at least slow them down when they're trying to get to my colonies.
Arnina
Irritating Ignoramus

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2008 October 11, 01:14:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't actually met the Grox yet, but I am wondering if I should. If the 'normal' path to the galactic core involves fighting one's way through Grox space, and if the Grox can mount retaliatory attacks on your homeworlds halfway across the galaxy, and if the typical Grox attack is powerful enough to destroy the most heavily defended colony, and if you can't make peace with the Grox afterwards, and if all you get afterwards is a lousy staff with 42 charges, then what's the point? You'll be fighting off Grox attacks forever and you can't even 'sort of' ignore them like you can with pirates. It sounds like attempting to follow the game's tutorials (specifically the 'explore galactic core' one) condemns your race to eventual extinction at the hands of the Grox.

You don't have to fight your way through.  Before you head off to Grox space, load up on mega energy and health packs.  You will need these to stay alive.  When you get to Grox space the Grox will fire on you.  Turn-off your auto turrets so you don't accidently fire back and start a war.  Also, ditch any ally ships you have so they don't fire on the Grox.  Then, hop from star system to star system until you reach the galatic core.  I tried this with one of my races and the Grox did not attack any of my colonies because I avoided starting a war.

Ego venit , Ego vidi , Ego trinus super meus own feet:

I came, I saw, I tripped over my own feet.
Dopp
Corpulent Cretin

Not Awesome Indeed

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2008 October 11, 03:18:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, didn't know that. I destroy everything I meet as a matter of course. The fact that the Grox are officially more awesome than me (by being basically invincible) is a bit stupid. If the Grox can have 2,400 planets, I want a REAL galactic armada, some REAL planetary defenses, a REAL spice harvesting system, and a REALLY BIG ship to take them on with.
« Last Edit: 2008 October 11, 05:35:52 by Dopp » Logged
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2008 October 11, 04:30:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good hints (in retrospect Smiley), Arnina.  I'll have to remember to do that when my next space race is ready for the run to the core.  Unfortunately, my first (stronger) race is going to have to fight their way through.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
EsotericPolarBear
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2008 October 11, 05:08:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't have to fight your way through.  Before you head off to Grox space, load up on mega energy and health packs.  You will need these to stay alive.  When you get to Grox space the Grox will fire on you.  Turn-off your auto turrets so you don't accidently fire back and start a war.  Also, ditch any ally ships you have so they don't fire on the Grox.  Then, hop from star system to star system until you reach the galatic core.  I tried this with one of my races and the Grox did not attack any of my colonies because I avoided starting a war.

I was at war with the Grox when I made the core run.  I just took a colony pack with me and stopped at every empty system along the way to drop a colony and heal/recharge, buy another colony and move on my way.
notovny
Garrulous Gimp

Report to the Budgerigar Commisar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 2008 October 13, 21:55:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've run two races up to  Hero rank, the Drakomir and the Ninjaclastes.  THe Drakomir [Scientists]were my first race to reach Space, and when Spodists declared war on them for failing to tithe properly, I used the Graviton Wave in a dastardly planet-stealing scheme that had a couple other races declare war on the not-yet-properly-prepared Drakomir. After skirmishing for awhile, I got tired of fighting off intermittent attacks and had the Drakomir set out on a core expedition.At the time, all they had was interstellar drive 3, so they kept getting blocked by the large gap in their spiral arm. Couldn't even make it past with 4.  Pretty much nothing interesting happened to the Drakomir Empire during the expeditions.

Switched to the Ninjaclastes (Warriors),  with whom I studiously avoided any  Galactic Code Breaches. Got Insterstellar Drive 4 and the Wormhole Key, gathered up a group of allied ships (which was probably a mistake), loaded up on AOE health and the Max Energy , and ran for the core. Made it, but by bringing along friends, the AOE Heal would only work planetside. Combined with the Auto-Targeting, I was at War with the Grox in short order.

Rather than try to make my way back, I decided to get my ship blown up to make my way back to the homeworld.  I headed for the nearest planet to the core, and attempted to destroy all installations on it. I succeeded.  And as it turns out, that was the Grox Homeworld. I then let the ship be destroyed and flipped back to the homeworld.

A while later, the Ninjaclastes swept through the spiral arm where the Drakomir lived, Allied with them, and slew all the Drakomirs' enemies, and I started playing them again. Soon enough, the  Galactic code violation was forgotten, and I ran them up the ranks, kitted them out, and sent them to the core.

With the Drakomir, I turned off the autocannon  in Grox Space. I also bribed them a bit, and performed one mission for them. The Grox were neatly in the "Don't Like, but Don't Hate" category. When I made the actual core run, they fired at me all the way, but I made it to the core without them actually declaring war. I then terraformed the former Grox Homeworld to T3,  and dropped  three colonies and the standard colony accessories on it, fully expecting the Grox to take it back in short order.

More recently, I decided I wanted to go for the Quietus Star achievement. I had the Drakomir trade spice to reach the fifty million sporebucks  necessary, and hunted down another Warrior Race for the weaponry discount (Their previous weaponry  contact had been exterminated for getting angry about not  being paid tribute they never asked for, and being walking bananas)  On this trip, I realized it's possible to get to the core without taking a single shot from the grox, even if they hates you.

As long as you never actuallly reach a star system once you enter a forbidden zone, the ships they send after you will never catch up with you. And you can change your destination before you reach a star. Fly towards a star. Pause just before you reach it with "P". Check the distance for your next leg. Then unpause and click on the next star before you arrive. Repeat. I got three quarters of the way into Grox Space without taking a single point of damage from the Grox until I slipped up while trying to navigate around a starless void. If you ever stop moving in the forbidden zone, the ships will catch up with you, and you'll be taking fire then on until you leave.

At any rate, after much travail, the Drakomir ship made it back to their colony  on the former Grox Homeworld,  which was still churning along fine. I rested up a bit, and then set about achieving Quietus Star.

In the Core, only the Grox can hear you break the Galactic Code.

And they like it.  Admittedly, they might have liked it more if I hadn't used their worlds as targets.

Also ran across some Tribal Worlds in Grox Space. Unsure if they'd always been there and thus been non-Grox systems in Grox space, or had sprung up after I destroyed the Grox Planet in the system.

Google Sidewiki: Allowing invisible webpage vandalism since 2009.
geekgirl
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2008 October 13, 22:40:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does using the Staff of Life break galactic code? Because it certainly destroys all Grox colonies on a planet. I haven't tried it on a non-Grox inhabited world yet though.

notovny
Garrulous Gimp

Report to the Budgerigar Commisar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: 2008 October 13, 23:16:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, it doesn't. In fact, if you use it on an alien race's world, you'll get a reasonable "Helping Our Planet" relationship bonus for doing so.

Google Sidewiki: Allowing invisible webpage vandalism since 2009.
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 2008 October 14, 12:44:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On my first run through Grox space I did notice a few non-Grox worlds slipped in among the very large Grox empire. A couple of them may have had pre-space civilisations on them, all I noticed was that I could pause on one or two of them and not get attacked. (Though most were close enough to Grox space that they'd come over and get me if I just sat around in space.)

grig
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2008 October 19, 09:24:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Grox are obnoxious, but they give us Sporians a meaning for our madness so I guess we can keep 'em around... at least until we figure out how to wipe them from the face of the galaxy ^^
Timoram
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2008 October 26, 12:39:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I made a real deal with the Grox...    I didn't made a screenshot by myself, but I found a picture somewhere on the web. Take a look.

Note : you'll have to be Omnipotent. If you're not, Grox will hit you even if you become Omnipotent !

I didn't use an ambassy, 'cause the Grox always shoot on it before ally. I gived them a 500.000 § gift, and I destroyed 6 planets. I used so many fireworks, and I accept 5 missions.
When you ally with Grox, they give you a spaceship, the best UFO of the galaxy. Oh, and all relations score with all empires of the galaxy will be down to -200, and you'll receive a special badge, "Dance with the Devil".

To destroy the Grox, you'll have to terraform all their planets to T1 (they can't live if the T-Score of a planet isn't T0), use many many Planet Busters, or destroy their cities.
The Grox Empire have 600 to 1000 planets, but some players count 2400. Good luck ! You'll receive another special badge, "
Parsimonious Kate
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2008 November 11, 03:29:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't declare war on them and then they'll leave you alone. Turn off your auto-firing weapons before heading to the center of the Galaxy and run in as fast as you can without stopping. Even when you're at war with them, they'll only attack your planets one at a time and provided you don't show up to defend the planet, they don't do much in the way of damage if you've got an uber turret - they might take out a Colony but you can just place another one and replace your regular turrets periodically. They seem to like destroying the spice storage for some reason.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: