More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 09:20:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Sim about to meet self: did I broke it?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Sim about to meet self: did I broke it?  (Read 8491 times)
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
Sim about to meet self: did I broke it?
« on: 2008 September 03, 16:52:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could be nothing; could be a BVT in the making... This is not a case of random 'met self' memory; it's literally about to happen.

Ollie is Downtown and invited a group of friends to join him there for an outing. Opal is among them. Just after Opal's arrival, who should saunter in off the street but... Opal. Liz freaked out, paused, and took a snap ('cause otherwise it didn't happen, right?). With neither Opal under my control, am I on the verge of one of those time paradoxes where, when one self meets the other self, the world asplodes? Paranoid minds wanna know.

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
Re: Sim about to meet self: did I broke it?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 September 03, 17:08:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It can't be good.    Sad

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 03, 17:20:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This happens very, very rarely for me. As in I've seen it twice. Relationship gained with the clone is relationship gained with the sim. In other words, there's only one character file in play.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 03, 17:47:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had situations in the past where a sim is talking to another on the phone, and the other sim shows up as a walk-by while they're still supposedly on the phone. If they're friendly enough, the visitor has even just walked into the house, puttering around while the resident sim is still talking to him/her on the phone.  Not quite as bad as two of the same sim showing up on the same lot, but still a weird glitch.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 03, 17:52:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd hate to lose this 'hood after *finally* graduating the last of Gen2 from Uni, but I think I'm gonna go ahead and cross the streams. Still interested in hearing any predictions of impending doom (and/or reassurances - thanks, Zazazu).

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
professorbutters
Humourless Egghead
Lipless Loser

Humourless Priss

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 03, 19:03:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had situations in the past where a sim is talking to another on the phone, and the other sim shows up as a walk-by while they're still supposedly on the phone. If they're friendly enough, the visitor has even just walked into the house, puttering around while the resident sim is still talking to him/her on the phone.  Not quite as bad as two of the same sim showing up on the same lot, but still a weird glitch.

Yeah, that happened to me once, too, right when the walkby called to ask for a date.  Moral of the story:  don't accept the date!--or if you do, don't make the mistake of going out with the sim who walked by.  Since two dates are going at the same time, the sim in question will pop up the message "What?  Dumping me for another Sim!  How could you!", the date will go in the toilet, and both Sims will be Furious.

Also have had the same Diva show up to the same lot at the same time.  Neither situation seems to have resulted in disaster, and that was a considerable time ago.

PN

It wasn't funny at the time, but after I cleaned up the mess I thought it was, and I really wish I had screenshots.

PB

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 03, 19:13:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your sims look like YAs.  Are they YAs?  Duplicate sims showing up is reasonably well known on Uni lots and is just one of those things.  I have never seen it in a regular hood community lot.  I used to amuse myself by having sims romance the one copy and socialize to fight the other copy.  Never seemed to cause problems that I could discern.  Haven't played that hood in a while though.

Tribulatio proxima est
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 03, 21:10:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They - Ollie, not pictured, and the Opals - are actually just out of Uni. Each is in her/his first full day back in the main 'hood (guy in the middle is a townie adult). Still haven't gone back in to play, but I'm perversely tempted to invite this duplicate Opal to join the Outing.

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 September 03, 22:16:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, look at it this way:  If you have a viable backup, and the "in play" hood is actually borked, you can run the scenario and see what happens, and then if things are borked, install the backup.

If, on the other hand, you have no backup, and your hood is borked, you may as well play it out until it asplodes, just for fun.

Don't sweat the stuff you can't do anything about.  This way you get some lulz out of it.

Tribulatio proxima est
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 September 04, 16:14:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Crap on a cracker, it's worse than I thought! That guy in the middle of the picture? There's another one of him in the hot tub out back.  Shocked

I have a bad feeling about this.

ETA: Oh, joy! Both Opals were in the hot tub together. Both Opals have been struck by lightning. Now 2nd Ail is about to join himself in the hot tub. Given how tetchy this game is, I'm gonna feel damn near cheated if something untoward doesn't result from these shenanigans.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 04, 16:43:41 by Liz » Logged

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 September 04, 17:26:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just curious - are these just duplicate appearances in game, or do you actually have duplicate character files?

Tribulatio proxima est
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 September 04, 19:31:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not sure how else to tell whether there's a duplicate character file, but I just opened SimPE, and Tools>SimBrowser only lists one instance of each of them in their 'hood.

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 September 04, 19:33:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, that's a good sign, I think.

Tribulatio proxima est
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 September 04, 20:03:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have seen duplicate dormies on a very few occasions and nothing noticeable happened as a result. It might be a different matter if a sim were to die in the presence of a duplicate, the game might not know what to make of that.

More F than you
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 September 04, 20:08:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, my eyebrows started to twitch a bit when the Uncontrollable Opals (and Ails) tromped off to the hot tub during a thunderstorm, but luckily (or regrettably ;p), none of them was killed in the ensuing lightning barrage.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 September 08, 11:04:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On rare occasions, a sim will double-instantiate. This isn't immediately fatal, but you should immediately delete both of them, either using move_objects or force-error -> delete.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 September 19, 04:19:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had something like this happen - Afraid of borking my 'hood for one reason or another, I decided to play Pleasantview for a while. I'd downloaded HP's Megahood, so it had every single premade 'hood set as business districts. I was playing as the Calientes, for a nice little blast of sluttiness, and Mortimer asked her on an outing downtown. Sure, I thought, she could use a daughter. So, I went. What could go wrong? Mortimer gets out, Dina gets out, then one last person.

Bella.

BELLA FREAKING GOTH.

I thought to myself, Okay, it's probably the Strangetown Bella. Just a coincidence. Except that when Dina kissed him, Bella inferred this as cheating! Anyone have any clue how she ended up alive again?

(I've got a sneaking suspicion that this was just a cheeky little joke on HP's part.)

I will fuck up your face in Denmark! COME! you also seem to be a flock of crapped nerds! COME! [...] That one goes to all of those retarrds that pretend to be a non-fag and yet suck my balls
toad
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 September 19, 06:50:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's in the download instructions.  HP mentions that they're still married, and that Bella is still alive.
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 September 19, 14:03:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's in the download instructions.  HP mentions that they're still married, and that Bella is still alive.

O RLY?

How did I miss that? Wow, I guess Dina's not just a gold digger, she's a slut, too.

As if we didn't know that.

I will fuck up your face in Denmark! COME! you also seem to be a flock of crapped nerds! COME! [...] That one goes to all of those retarrds that pretend to be a non-fag and yet suck my balls
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: