More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 21:56:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  SimPE site?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: SimPE site?  (Read 5957 times)
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
SimPE site?
« on: 2008 September 17, 23:12:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anybody have a clue what happened to it?  Inge?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
Re: SimPE site?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 September 18, 02:04:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dunno - Inge did say someting about it being broken in the SimPE testing thread.  It seems to have been down for going on for 24 hours now.  I tried to access it yesterday with no success.

Inteen for AL, yay!
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 18, 02:10:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

downforeveryoneorjustme.com says that the domain sims.ambertation.de name is not registered.
Perhaps the registration lapsed. I don't believe Inge controls it and Quaxi seems to have been teleported to another parallel dimension.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 18, 02:19:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

downforeveryoneorjustme.com says that the domain sims.ambertation.de name is not registered.
Perhaps the registration lapsed. I don't believe Inge controls it and Quaxi seems to have been teleported to another parallel dimension.

Ahhh crap, I hope not.  That would massively suck.

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 18, 02:51:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup.  So far it does massively suck.

Tribulatio proxima est
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 18, 04:28:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

.de names probably aren't recognized by that DB. Plus you're checking a third-level domain. "ambertation.de" itself reports registered and operational.

A quick port-probe and banner-check reveals that the ambertation server is responding and operating normally on all other ports (and acknowledging status as ambertation), but that httpd is down. This happens from time to time, as apache is a piece of shit.

Conclusion: They crashed. This will be fixed whenever someone notices, but does not represent a significant cause for concern at this time.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 18, 08:25:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I decided to leave it 24hrs in case he noticed himself, but at this stage I will see if I can dig out his email address...

Though apart from the GUID database I really wouldn't have minded the excuse to transfer support to a forum that actually has some features - such as "split thread" etc.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Viscountess
kiki
Assgrabber
Stupid Schlemiel

ENTP - RULER

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 18, 08:28:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

just for you amber Cheesy I couldn't help myself

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day." - Dean Martin
<Pescado>   Because hey, sometimes you have fun, and sometimes fun has you.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2008 September 18, 10:17:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

just for you amber Cheesy I couldn't help myself

ROTFL!  Thanks kiki!  XD

Pescado assures me that even if the GUID database were to permanently crash and burn, the likelihood of GUID conflicts with just randomly-chosen numbers would be pretty infinitesemal, so I guess I won't panic.  Still, it'd be a shame to lose it...

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2008 September 18, 10:39:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quaxi received his email and has got the site up again Smiley

I still don't like the idea of random GUIDs - no point in doing it a potentially clashy way when there is a way of avoiding the clashes in the first place!   The simplest way to have restarted a GUID registry would be a "postal" service attached to a forum thread, where a person who wants a block posts and they get a block by reply.   A record of the highest block allocated is simply stored somewhere.  There is no need to record GUIDs by creator.   The creators have to keep their own internal count of GUIDs used up.  That's how I do it.

We'd simply start at the next major number - which I believe is 1!  I think we're still on the zeroes.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2008 September 18, 17:54:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quaxi received his email and has got the site up again Smiley

I still don't like the idea of random GUIDs - no point in doing it a potentially clashy way when there is a way of avoiding the clashes in the first place!   The simplest way to have restarted a GUID registry would be a "postal" service attached to a forum thread, where a person who wants a block posts and they get a block by reply.   A record of the highest block allocated is simply stored somewhere.  There is no need to record GUIDs by creator.   The creators have to keep their own internal count of GUIDs used up.  That's how I do it.

We'd simply start at the next major number - which I believe is 1!  I think we're still on the zeroes.

Coolio.  No, I don't like it either, but you're right, it'd be simple enough to start over again if we had to.  Still, glad we don't have to.  XD

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 September 19, 16:34:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem with that plan is that is that, A: It would be easy for a malicious agent to deplete a large number of blocks this way with no record of who did it, and B: Contiguous blocks are more likely to promote accidental conflict when creators who don't understand hex overrun the ends of their block. Also, it appears EAxis themselves uses an apparently random system, as none of their GUIDs have any clear sense of rhyme or reason either.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2008 September 19, 17:23:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well there are pros and cons both ways I suppose.  In Sims 1 we quickly ran out, because every recolour needed its own GUID.  This time round we're really not getting through them as fast.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: