More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 09:23:42

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  What's That Button Do? Or, I Has A Perplexed . . .
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What's That Button Do? Or, I Has A Perplexed . . .  (Read 6373 times)
Yaakovashoshana
Blathering Buffoon

Renaissance Cowgirl

View Profile
What's That Button Do? Or, I Has A Perplexed . . .
« on: 2008 September 16, 02:44:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have noticed something in the game that has me puzzled, and I was hoping that some esteemed MATYians in their infinite wisdom and experience would deign to enlighten me.

On the UI Rewards panel there are four tabs: Inventory, Shopping Cart, Aspiration Rewards, and Career Rewards. The Shopping Cart icon is always grayed out, and I have never noticed an instance when it appearted to be used. It's always grayed out and unselectable. I have all the EP's and SP's, but obviously I've never played my game in such a way that this option is activated.  I was hoping against hope that someone could tell me precisely what the blinkin' thing is for and when it's actually used.  I'm hazarding a guess that it might have been introduced with OFB, and therefore might have something to do with play specific to that EP, but I was hoping someone could confirm or deny.

Thank you very much for your kind help and consideration. Going back to lurking, now.

ISTJ - "Trustee". Decisiveness in practical affairs. Guardian of time- honored institutions. Dependable.
Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
Re: What's That Button Do? Or, I Has A Perplexed . . .
« Reply #1 on: 2008 September 16, 03:15:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When your sims buy stuff at a community lot, I believe it is at least temporarily stored in the shopping cart.  Maybe it moves to regular inv once you pay for it?  I think this is how it works, even for magazines, clothes, and souviners.  Mostly, I think it's used for when a sim is buying stuff at an owned community lot.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Wink

TS3: it's really cool if you don't look too closely! - bottles
Marquis
fway
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 16, 04:08:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe that the shopping cart is activated if your sims purchase items at an owned community lot, because you get an "add to shopping bag" when you purchase an item, even though the icon in the rewards panel is a shopping cart. I will have to try as I never seem to check; however, when I go to a non owned grocery store the shopping cart is greyed out. So I am still leaning on my hypothesis.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 03, 05:24:19 by fway » Logged

Yaakovashoshana
Blathering Buffoon

Renaissance Cowgirl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 16, 04:17:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you both for the kind responses. That's pretty much what I was suspected, fway . . . that perhaps the Shopping Cart tab had to do with what Sims purchase at Sim-owned businesses, but I've never really played that aspect of the game enough to see it in action. (I only got OFB for some of the added features and functionality. My Sims don't seem to be ambitious or industrious enough to run their own businesses. A lot of layabouts, they are . . .)

ISTJ - "Trustee". Decisiveness in practical affairs. Guardian of time- honored institutions. Dependable.
ScoobyDoo
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 16, 21:28:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Strange, I could have sworn after I made a selection at an owned business, that the sim would automatically go and pay for the item.  Huh
lowbart
Blathering Buffoon

Why? Why?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 23, 07:22:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, me too, I've never seen sims carry around multiple objects before paying. I assumed the Shopping Cart was originally intended for that purpose, but they didn't finish it, so it was vestigial.

Quote from: Liz
I find it particularly disingenuous of Seabolt to attempt to claim that "Advertising is very organic to the 'Sims 3' experience." Apparently 'organic' is code for "We thought of some places we can stick it." Should they run out of ideas, I could gladly recommend some nice, organic place
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 23, 08:04:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Strange, I could have sworn after I made a selection at an owned business, that the sim would automatically go and pay for the item.  Huh

I never have playable shoppers at my owned businesses thanks to JM's hack, but if I recall correctly, the shopping cart tab is used for stuff playables buy while not being played (so you can decide whether to keep that stuff or not as soon as you play them again).

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 23, 11:18:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, but you can cancel the queue and add another goods to the shopping bag. I often let my Sims do their grocery shopping at neighbour's business. As long as I have something queued, Pay For Items will not queuestomp other actions.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 September 23, 11:21:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never have playable shoppers at my owned businesses thanks to JM's hack, but if I recall correctly, the shopping cart tab is used for stuff playables buy while not being played (so you can decide whether to keep that stuff or not as soon as you play them again).
It is not. The shopping cart is used for the items you have currently bought while playing, IIRC, but many things simply don't use it, and it's basically a vestigial feature.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 September 23, 18:08:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only time I've ever seen it used is when purchasing actual objects at an owned business. I can't remember whether it still even uses this though. It's larely useless. Shame, as it would be nice to make multiple purchases of things such as clothes and stuff and have it all kept in there before paying for the lot at the register. It would save a lot of time.
Yaakovashoshana
Blathering Buffoon

Renaissance Cowgirl

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 September 24, 00:29:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The shopping cart is used for the items you have currently bought while playing, IIRC, but many things simply don't use it, and it's basically a vestigial feature.
That's comforting. I was afraid I was getting woefully unobservant in my old age.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: