More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 16:55:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Short Street - Really Tiny Apartments
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Short Street - Really Tiny Apartments  (Read 35573 times)
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
Short Street - Really Tiny Apartments
« on: 2008 September 17, 03:15:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm working on a series of tiny apartments built on a 1x1 lot I downloaded ages ago. This series was inspired by witch's lovely Poncy Promenade. These lots have not been extensively playtested and I would appreciate any feedback you might have.

These lots have one apartment building each and are designed for either a single sim or a couple with no children.

Edit: I have all expansion packs, and all stuff packs except Teen Style Stuff and IKEA

You will need 7-zip or WinRar to open these files.

129 Short Street
Outside:

Ground Floor:

Second Floor:

Third Floor:

Download

Rents for: §2,006/wk

Custom content included in download(I don't know how to clean up a packaged lot after it's been packaged):
Phone line controller from MATY
Invisible outside trash can recolor and game object from Targa at MTS2: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=92088
"Trashy" recolor of the Teak Tansu dresser by CycloneSue from the booty
"Community Quilt" recolor of the Teak Tansu dresser by Darts at MTS2
Merrokan chair by Windkeeper from the booty

--------------------------------

137 Short Street
Outside:

Ground Floor:

Second Floor:

Download

Rents for: §1,659/wk

Custom content:
Phone line controller from MATY
Invisible street trash can recolor from Targa at MTS2: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=92088
« Last Edit: 2008 September 18, 15:24:21 by jesslla » Logged

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Re: Short Street - Really Tiny Apartments
« Reply #1 on: 2008 September 17, 06:22:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They're cute! Pity the sims don't get body points from using stairs.

If you need to clean up the packaged lots, this is what I do. I have a sims 2 folder that is just for testing. I install the lot there. I load the game, go into the lot, save and exit to desktop. Then I empty the downloads folder altogether. Load up the game again, load the lot, save. Back to hood view and package for uploading.

The reason I ended up with hitch-hikers recently was because I built the lot in my ordinary hood and although I didn't use any CC, the hitch-hikers lurking in my downloads folder hid themselves in the packaged lot.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 17, 06:25:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The little apartments are adorable!

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 17, 15:13:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FYI - Lot Adjuster was updated for AL in record time. Faux party walls and one-cell buffers are possible again.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 17, 15:36:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

These are ADORABLE! MOAR!!! Cheesy
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 18, 03:02:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@witch - Sims should get body points from climbing the stairs! Thanks for the tips on cleaning up my lots. I'll redo my first two lots tomorrow night after work.

@zazazu - Thanks for the heads up about the Lot Adjuster. Now I just gotta figure out how to use it to give me one-cell buffers, those extra squares on each side would make a huge difference in these tiny apartments.

@nekonoai - I should make you wait until you give us MOAR MATYTOWN! Preferably with SimJesslla in it However, seeing as I'm not that mean...

I present to you: 136 Short Street!

This lot is custom content free.

We would call this a "studio apartment" here in the US. The entire apartment is made up of two rooms: the bathroom and everywhere else. This would be perfect for lower class sims or college students.

The garden outside is usable, but I was unable to enclose it in with greenhouse walls. The landlord will tend the garden daily, but after just one day of not having my sim garden all of my plants were pretty sickly. Rely on the landlord at your own peril!

Download

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 18, 06:33:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could actually squeeze a tad more space for kitchen benches by downsizing the bathroom. You can make a functional 3x1 bathroom with the shower at one end and the toilet at the other, and the door in the middle. Or even a 2x2.

However, this lot is good, all the essentials in a tiny box. It's lovely.

He, it's the opposite end of the scale from where I build!  Cheesy

HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 18, 12:15:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought about a 2x2 bathroom, but I was concerned about stuck sims. Part of me still wants to go by Sims 1 style building, where you needed to allow about 2 squares on each side of things. Perhaps on the next apartment I make, since it's going to have to fit two apartments onto this tiny lot.

My computer won't run with huge lots like yours! I need a new computer.  Cheesy

nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2008 September 18, 13:07:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most of my bathrooms end up being 2x2. With BUY no one goes in there that doesn't need to!

There WILL be moar matytown, but I'm having strange issues with the game, and I need to delete more stuff before I can seriously play again. Don't worry, it's coming! Plus the fact that I've been uber busy cleaning out the front section of my house so that I can haz roommate again. 9.9
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 September 18, 14:43:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Real life sucks like that sometimes, and roommates suck too. I have never had good luck with other people sharing my living space, other than my husband anyway. He and I get along wonderfully, but I can't seem to live with other people.  I had too many years of sharing a room with my mother, as an adult I have to have my own space.

I hope you get your game sorted out again soon, and not just because I want MOAR.

I like large bathrooms with lots of counters and plants, but most of the time I end up building a 3x2 bathroom.

Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 September 18, 15:10:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jessla, that one room teeny one is almost exactly like the place my husband had in college!  Wow, the memories!  *downloads

ETA:  They unzip fine with Winrar

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 September 18, 15:28:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jessla, that one room teeny one is almost exactly like the place my husband had in college!  Wow, the memories!  *downloads

ETA:  They unzip fine with Winrar

A friend of mine had a place like this when I was in college too.

Thanks for the heads up about WinRar, I edited my main post to include that bit of information.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 September 18, 15:44:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@zazazu - Thanks for the heads up about the Lot Adjuster. Now I just gotta figure out how to use it to give me one-cell buffers, those extra squares on each side would make a huge difference in these tiny apartments.
Start with a bigger lot. You want a buffer on each side you plan on breaking the rules for. So if I want a 1x1 with just a one-space buffer on the back and a faux party wall on the right and left, I'd start with a 2 deep, 3 wide. Mark off the areas that are going to be cut when you shrink. I just use some random garish floor tile to mark the border. Build with one space buffer. You can have a wall meet the edge of the lot, but it has to meet perpendicularly. Delete marker tiles before exiting the game. Then go into LotAdjuster and shrink (you have to choose Advanced Options). It'll give instructions from there.

They do make a huge difference. I have some brownstones I made a couple EP ago that I absolutely loved. At that point, "we" were testing if walls could be on the edge and parallel. Not so much. They were crashtastic. Better computers took longer to crash, but crash they would. Looked awesome from 'hood view. You can still get the same look with party walls.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
lowbart
Blathering Buffoon

Why? Why?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 September 18, 17:21:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What's a party wall?

Once I get AL I'm going to be uploading some nice scuzzy townhouse lots for your enjoyments.

Quote from: Liz
I find it particularly disingenuous of Seabolt to attempt to claim that "Advertising is very organic to the 'Sims 3' experience." Apparently 'organic' is code for "We thought of some places we can stick it." Should they run out of ideas, I could gladly recommend some nice, organic place
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 September 18, 17:44:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's where you get your party on.

It's a shared wall. In major metros, it's common for buildings (especially apartments) to be built so close together that there's no discernible space between them.

Example of a sim house built like that by Plasticbox (so you can see the buffer)
One of mine I had to pull because they used the earlier crashtastic method

Internal view of a party-walled complex (old method, but totally doable with new)

Link if the photo's not showing
« Last Edit: 2008 September 18, 17:52:11 by Zazazu » Logged

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2008 September 18, 18:08:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What's a party wall?

Once I get AL I'm going to be uploading some nice scuzzy townhouse lots for your enjoyments.

Hey, it's Ratbowl! Where ya been?

rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008 September 18, 23:43:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: jesslla
We would call this a "studio apartment" here in the US. The entire apartment is made up of two rooms: the bathroom and everywhere else. This would be perfect for lower class sims or college students.

Hee, reminds me of my apartment.  *Downloads*

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

Annette
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 September 19, 02:19:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've played 137 Short St for a sim week now and it plays very well. The house is plenty big enough for one sim.
The Saturday landlord party was interesting on such a small lot. One landlord and a pizza in a corner as my sim was at work. It might be worthwhile having an extra tile space in the yard for this to avoid sims getting stuck. (Not that they did). The landlord here was slack at tending the plants as well, but eventually got to them on the Friday. There was no shortage of passerbys so my sim made plenty of friends and even scored a plasma tv from one.
The invisible trashcan is a new toy to me. I haven't decided whether I like it or not. It works well here, however having no trash can outside another house I was playing was shock. Had a couple of moments wondering what I'd stuffed up now till I worked it out lol.
This house is going to fit into odd little spots so I can see it being very useful, thank you. I put it in the middle of the Road to Nowhere in Strangetown, just because it fits.

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2008 September 19, 05:42:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

These 1x1 (and the 2x1) lots are really great for filling up spaces in your hood-I have lots of them just filled with trees and bushes to fill in the gaps! Cheesy

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 September 19, 20:14:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup, I have a bunch of 1x1s - 1x4s done up with trees, plus I have a few faux plaza things and some boardwalk ones for beachy areas. They come in really handy. Tiny houses are good for fillers too. Even if you don't see yourself ever playing on a 1x1. I have the 2nd one as it matches pretty well with the medium-income section of my 'hood and I had a few tricky spots.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2008 September 20, 06:10:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I stole the idea from you Cheesy

HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 September 28, 02:11:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

138 Short Street

Download here

No custom content.

This apartment building has TWO apartments! Prices range from §730 - §941.

Outside:

Common area on the ground floor:

Second floor apartment:

Third floor apartment:

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 September 28, 02:16:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

These tiny apartments are just terminally cute. Man, I'd have trouble fitting a kitchen in the total size of these flats. They're just so dinky, like matchbox cars.  Cheesy

HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 September 28, 04:56:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

These tiny apartments are just terminally cute. Man, I'd have trouble fitting a kitchen in the total size of these flats. They're just so dinky, like matchbox cars.  Cheesy

I'm glad you're enjoying them. I would never want to live in one of these, but they are so much fun to build!

Normally I have huge rooms with furniture all around the outside walls and empty space in the middle. It's quite the challenge! How much stuff can I cram in here and still have a usable, attractive apartment? I find I'm decorating more and using objects I don't normally use when I build.

I think my next tiny apartment will be for a family of four. That should be quite interesting. Cheesy

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2008 September 28, 08:25:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ooh! This one is gorgeous! I love the exterior.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: