More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 19:35:22

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Making sims unique
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Making sims unique  (Read 17117 times)
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
Making sims unique
« on: 2008 September 15, 16:57:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm thinking of starting a new neighbourhood completely from scratch with no EAxis fuglies and no strays and I was wondering if anyone wanted to share their methods for making unique sims, because mine always end up all the same and I invariably get bored - and I have read on here and other places that after the first couple of generations, a hood gets interesting, so I really want to make myself stay in that long.

I'm thinking what I will probably do is track down a few sets of default replacement faces to keep swapping in and out during sim creation and gameplay - any suggestions for good ones which have a good variety in would be great - and for most of my CAS sims and CAS townies, make them look like real people by modelling them off photographs and possibly downloading a few well made selfsims. However I've found you have to be careful with selfsims and photo modelled sims because if the features aren't positioned close enough to the original templates you get weird looking sims with mouths almost in their noses etc.

I've also downloaded pretty much every one of Enayla's skins and narrowed them down until I have only the ones I like, and plan to make them genetic. There are 15 in all so that should provide some variety. I wish we could make a new hair bin, as I'm not really a fan of putting light brown in brown and hoping it goes through to the brown/blonde sims. However that's another thing I'd be interested in - your favourite hair creators/sites. There are so many to sift through on MTS2 etc I don't know where to start.

Lastly, I'm being ridiculously organised and/or OCD with this hood and have set up a wiki to detail all the starter families, who is in them, what age they should be on Day 0 - and giving them personalities and backstories or ideas for storylines before I start. Hopefully this way I shouldn't just get bored of playing, or forget which sister is supposed to be slutty and which one is supposed to be studious, etc. I have just randomised the families, how many people in each, what ages they are, etc. So I get some strange combinations like one elder, 2 teens, 2 kids, and a toddler, which makes for an interesting backstory. I can also link up the families before I start which should help matters.

Oh and I have a couple of families made up of real people, mainly my own extended family which is always interesting. In the sims my little brother *always* grows up to be gay, through ACR's choosing...

Time has gathered us here by coincidence; that's why what we say doesn't make any sense.
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
Re: Making sims unique
« Reply #1 on: 2008 September 15, 17:01:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I adore Zazazu's face replacements. I use her replacements exclusively in my game and CAS almost always generates a pretty sim with them.

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 15, 18:18:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ooh, those are really nice, and I hadn't seen them before. Thanks.

I think I might try to be disciplined and only let the actual face templates be used to generate NPCs though. I can just about be bothered to make my own townies, but NPCs, not so much.

Time has gathered us here by coincidence; that's why what we say doesn't make any sense.
VacantBlue
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 15, 18:20:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like selzi's new defaults.  Although, I would mix them up a bit.  They look great, but I don't think that they offer a lot of variety.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=250376

She has an older set of defaults as well.  I believe that they are linked in Zazazu's thread that was provided by jesslla.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 15, 19:31:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To make completely unique CAS sims, just move the sliders up and down on the face creation bit. You can get some really interesting looking sims that way. I personally use AmberDiceless' face templates as they are the closest I've seen to actual EAxis default faces without the fugly.

Issy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 15, 20:14:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried a wide variety of face templates about a year ago and really liked the ones made by terramoskos.  They have been modified to look somewhat more realistic. 

You can get it here http://hideki.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=135121

"Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction".  ~Antoine de Exupery
BarkingPup
Blathering Buffoon

Muffin Eater

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 15, 21:10:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I too use CAS replacement faces and cleaned hoods (specifically these http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=106077 faces which are basically the Maxis ones with minute changes to the templates so they look more realistic) but I don't breed for pretty sims nor do I control their every movement (Well, it helps that I have Pescado's hacks like that baby controller and bathroom controller).

I find that the Sims can get really boring if all of your sims are beautiful and if you insist on controlling every little movement they make. I tend to marry my sims off to other sims that they have a minimum of two bolts for. I avoid cheating extensively (although with AL the needs degeneration is ridiculous so I've relaxed those rules a bit) and enjoy letting the pixels destroy themselves without any intervention from me. I roll a die (similar to the Legacy rules) for aspiration and keep the turn on's and turn off's the game chooses. Or I use these: http://sumomo.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=293685.  When a sims becomes an elder (or the couple both become elders) I save and exit than never play them again. This results in a huge family and they're always coming and going, fighting and hugging, etcetera.

I find the way I play to generate very interesting looking sims and sometimes result in fighting or premature death. It's fun Smiley and I recommend it to everyone.

Fat Cat eatz yer head. 'twas nutricius and delicius

despite teh lack o' brainy flavur

Spore Creations
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 15, 21:25:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use mine, Selzi's 2nd set (the 1st set has a bit too small of eyes for me), Katuchan's, Terrakosmos's, and someone else's. Can't recall. Bruno?...one of the faces has a bad elder conversion. I'll check when I'm home. Then I have one mixed set that is Katuchan/Terrakosmos's, and one that is a mix of all the sets. I also have two Live.packages for generated sims names. One by Jordi from MTS2. The other one by Ellatrue here.

There's a set of Enayla's skins set as defaults with extra genetics that are linked through Peasantry. I also have her eyes as geneticized defaults with a bunch of other ones that have been geneticized and made townie-ready.

For hair, I have a lot of Peggy* stuff (you have to sift through it, the girl is oblivious to her gaps), a lot of Rose* and Raon*, Helgasims, XMSims, Sims2ArtistUnion...etc, etc. You want to check out this page. Trust me.

*Pay. See booty. Booty is love. Also, many are high-polygon.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Relle
Asinine Airhead

INTP?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 September 16, 03:22:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love Nailati's face replacements: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,3804.0.html

The best way I keep all my Sims from looking alike is to use other people's self-sims. Do them up to fit your hood's aesthetic/time period, towniefy the ones you don't want to play, and go forth and breed.
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 September 16, 07:30:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe I'm tootin' my own horn, but I think my CAS replacement set is still the best.  You can get it at MTS2 here:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=130190

Sadly, there are no pics anymore (I uploaded that years ago, and the pics have gone to Internet pic heaven) so you have to try it and take my word for it.

I've tried most of the other replacement sets.  It doesn't hurt anything to swap them in and out and try different ones.  The only one by somebody not me that I actually liked was (I think) the one by Kaituchan.)

If Sims 2 weren't in its last days, I would make a new replacement set, but...

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
Viscountess
kiki
Assgrabber
Stupid Schlemiel

ENTP - RULER

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 September 16, 07:50:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like selzi's new defaults.  Although, I would mix them up a bit.  They look great, but I don't think that they offer a lot of variety.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=250376

She has an older set of defaults as well.  I believe that they are linked in Zazazu's thread that was provided by jesslla.

yeah I love that set from selzi, they're the ones I use - they still leave the general gist of the maxis face, but just clean it up a bit...so you do have prettiness in even the "fugly" maxis faces with that set, but not everyone is a cookie cutter.

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day." - Dean Martin
<Pescado>   Because hey, sometimes you have fun, and sometimes fun has you.
Eva Aisling
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 September 16, 13:05:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like most of Spookymuffin's defaults. They are the most unique that I've seen. There are a few that I replace from other sets, but I can't remember which ones. I'm sure there will be a few unique faces for you in the set.

http://www.insimenator.net/showthread.php?t=75472

More Awesome Than You - in bed
Tsarina
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 September 16, 13:11:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Natali's default replacements. She hasn't made a replacement for every face, so I use AmberDiceless' replacements for the rest.

The best way I keep all my Sims from looking alike is to use other people's self-sims. Do them up to fit your hood's aesthetic/time period, towniefy the ones you don't want to play, and go forth and breed.

That's a great idea. I'm so glad I thought of it.

INEPT INTP
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 September 16, 13:32:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For non-playables (townies, students etc.) what I do is build 'types' - it's surprising what a difference hair and clothing can make.  I made a set of students recently.  I'm currently attending a university in RL which is very large and also has a hugely varied population.  So I based my students on the people I see around me every day.  I do exaggerate characteristic features.  I made my goth sims as gothy as possible, while the hippy sim looks like a throwback to 1970.  As my university has a lot of international students, I also made sims based on nationalities: for instance, I made a sim based on a Fulbrite scholar I know over here doing her PhD.  I think you'd call it preppy over there - is that right?  It can make building sims in Bodyshop or CAS more interesting: how do I make this sim look as though he is unrealistically idealistic and obsessed by student politics or environmentalism?  (Grungy, yay!)  All social groupings tend to develop a look or uniform that they use to identify one another and you can use that.  I'll download CC specifically to get the look I want.

For playables, I have a different approach but as I usually have some clear role or idea in mind for them, I also have a corresponding sense of their appearance.  So, the sim is built around that.  Is the sim middle class or ambitious or intellectual or greedy?  I'm such an obsessive story-teller.

I use various face templates but modify them considerably anyway.  I've not found a complete set I like so I pick and choose.  Also, some of the sets you see are facially virtually identical over the whole set.  Who wants that?

Inteen for AL, yay!
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2008 September 16, 14:26:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe I'm tootin' my own horn, but I think my CAS replacement set is still the best.  You can get it at MTS2 here:

Sadly, there are no pics anymore (I uploaded that years ago, and the pics have gone to Internet pic heaven) so you have to try it and take my word for it.

I've tried most of the other replacement sets.  It doesn't hurt anything to swap them in and out and try different ones.  The only one by somebody not me that I actually liked was (I think) the one by Kaituchan.)

If Sims 2 weren't in its last days, I would make a new replacement set, but...

I used to use yours but I ended up with very weird chins and/or cheekbones on most of my sims once I was a few generations in Cheesy

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 September 16, 19:02:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've used Amber's for ages, and I like them very much.  You can find them here

(And I just noticed she's updated them, so I'll have to grab the new ones when I get home later.)

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 September 17, 00:42:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use the face replacements by selzi now.

If you want some different sims for townies I have a ton of them already packaged in houses. Most were born in-game in one of my old hoods.

The ones in this thread are base-game compatible and are cc/hack clean.
http://www.the-isz.com/theisz/index.php?showtopic=833

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 September 17, 06:04:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want some different sims for townies I have a ton of them already packaged in houses. Most were born in-game in one of my old hoods.

So you've cleaned up all their memories etc? 'Cos you know importing sims from another's game is a VBT don't you?

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 September 17, 12:41:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So you've cleaned up all their memories etc? 'Cos you know importing sims from another's game is a VBT don't you?

ya, I've known that for a very long time now.  Wink   I used "extracted in SimPE & then cloned in Bodyshop" clean files.  edit - and I packaged them as soon as I moved them onto a lot.

vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 September 24, 06:29:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's yours I've got, and I reckon they're pretty damn good.

<insert witty comment here>
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 September 24, 09:05:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I find that the Sims can get really boring if all of your sims are beautiful and if you insist on controlling every little movement they make. I tend to marry my sims off to other sims that they have a minimum of two bolts for. I avoid cheating extensively (although with AL the needs degeneration is ridiculous so I've relaxed those rules a bit) and enjoy letting the pixels destroy themselves without any intervention from me.
Why do people keep imagining things like this? There is NO change to motive decay in AL. People have been saying this about EVERY expansion pack, and it's NEVER TRUE.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
BarkingPup
Blathering Buffoon

Muffin Eater

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 September 24, 23:54:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I find that the Sims can get really boring if all of your sims are beautiful and if you insist on controlling every little movement they make. I tend to marry my sims off to other sims that they have a minimum of two bolts for. I avoid cheating extensively (although with AL the needs degeneration is ridiculous so I've relaxed those rules a bit) and enjoy letting the pixels destroy themselves without any intervention from me.
Why do people keep imagining things like this? There is NO change to motive decay in AL. People have been saying this about EVERY expansion pack, and it's NEVER TRUE.

Wut? Ya mean it ain't mah game 'tis mah 'magination?
I thought it was kind of funny that five minutes RT after eating they would be yellow.... perhaps Maxmotives is teh fail and I've been playin' wit it fer too long...

Spore Creations
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 September 25, 00:21:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well 5 minutes Real Time (I assume that's what you mean?) is about 5 HOURS Sim Time.  I get pretty hungry 5 hours after lunch too.

<insert witty comment here>
BarkingPup
Blathering Buffoon

Muffin Eater

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 September 25, 00:26:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well 5 minutes Real Time (I assume that's what you mean?) is about 5 HOURS Sim Time.  I get pretty hungry 5 hours after lunch too.

Cheesy Yes, I meant Real Time but not in the literal '5 minutes' but more of an approximation. Usually I have Sim1 serve dinner and then, afterwards, go off to talk with SimSpawn1. After around... two minutes of real time play they are yellow hunger, yellow comfort, and yellow fun....

Spore Creations
mitchellcjs
The Genius
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 September 25, 01:04:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cooking skill points or "higher quality" food and better counters may make the difference.  Just because they ate doesn't mean they necessarily got FULL. 
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: