More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 08:55:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Sinking apartments are driving me crazy
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Sinking apartments are driving me crazy  (Read 5291 times)
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Sinking apartments are driving me crazy
« on: 2008 September 18, 15:08:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Like you see here in the picture: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,12828.msg366049.html#msg366049

It's not the terrain that is not flat. When I move in a family to the lot when it is zoned as residential, the street is flat. But when I rezone it to apartment, the lot sinks and the blue gaps appear for surrounding lots when I move the family in. The only safe way is to build the lot and never move it. If you move to another spot in the neighborhood, or install the lot from the lot bin, it will sink - but there are exceptions. I did have a basement lot functioning fine moving around or in and out of the lot bin, but when I build a serious apartment bunker for my apocalypse challenge, it always sinks after I move it, whether I move/install it as residential or apartment.

I mostly build basement/bunker lots for the challenge.  I don't know if it is because of the basement, or the height of the terrain where you build the lot. These two factors are not conclusive in my testing. So are you having this problem?

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
Re: Sinking apartments are driving me crazy
« Reply #1 on: 2008 September 18, 16:20:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try raising the elevation of part of the terrain.  You can flatten the new "plateau" to ensure you get totally flat lots.  It is not critical that the whole terrain at one elevation.  I often find "sinking lot" problems if the whole terrain is flat at "sea level".  Houses with basements, for example, are impossible to place because the basement will be below the water table.  Raising the level of part of the terrain (not right next to the beaches of course, but inshore) solves this.

Tribulatio proxima est
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 26, 05:26:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A very stupid EA bug: when they clone the apartment building, they change the elevation unnecessarily.

Here's a simple fix to this problem:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=302405

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 26, 16:33:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you thank you for the fix! I can't thank you enough. And this also fixes the beach lot. How marvelous!

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 26, 23:03:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Glad to help.  Surprisingly easy to find and fix, once Inge Jones got me looking into the problem.  I had (foolishly) avoided beach apartments because of the readme.

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 27, 10:44:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which in turn was thanks to Peter noticing those Unk new fields looked like an elevation matrix, which I hadn't spotted when I specced Format 0x0B for him and just handed them to him as new Unks Smiley

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 28, 04:36:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The apartment sinking problem isn't related to the new data at all.  It's just the standard old Z (elevation) field which has been changed unnecessarily and incorrectly when a sim moves into an apartment.

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 28, 08:01:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes but it was his drawing my attention to those that prompted me to ask you about it which prompted you to find out about it.  So it was still consequential.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: