More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 14:46:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  11th hour rally call for SimPE testing
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: 11th hour rally call for SimPE testing  (Read 35867 times)
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: 11th hour rally call for SimPE testing
« Reply #50 on: 2008 September 24, 18:07:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

it is only visible only to ZipGenius
You're not extracting the whole rar/zip, you're just viewing the contents of that rar/zip file.

When you double-click the SimPe file within ZipGenius, the executable is extracted alone into a temporary folder. Attempting to execute that file results in a crash, due to the lack of the remaining files.

Thanks to Inge, you don't have to worry about this anymore. Wink
Capitaine Marie
Horrible Halfwit

Blonder Than You

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2008 September 24, 18:24:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

it is only visible only to ZipGenius
You're not extracting the whole rar/zip, you're just viewing the contents of that rar/zip file.

When you double-click the SimPe file within ZipGenius, the executable is extracted alone into a temporary folder. Attempting to execute that file results in a crash, due to the lack of the remaining files.

Thanks to Inge, you don't have to worry about this anymore. Wink

I did extract everything in the zip, to C:\Program Files, etc.  When I then opened Program Files, it wasn't there; Windoze didn't see it.  I had to use another program to see where it was, but I couldn't actually access the folder (which got named "SimPe_0_72_00-with" by ZipGenius.)  Bizarre, eh?

I realize it doesn't apply to SimPE anymore, but I hope I described my problem better this time -- for future reference, anyway.  Grin

Thanks to Inge and Numenor for getting an auto-installer up!  Smiley

I don't think I could ever stab someone.  I mean, let's be honest.  I can barely get the straw in the Capri Sun.
cat
Asinine Airhead

INTJ - "Mastermind"

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2008 September 27, 18:30:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm still having problems. Despite doing everything correctly, simPE (version 0_72_00) works at a snail's pace. Any suggestions? Given that the previous edition for ikea stuff worked at a sensible pace, I hope it's not the computer specs that are at fault.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: 2008 September 27, 18:49:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't noticed any significant difference in speed between 0.70 and 0.72

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: 2008 September 27, 19:32:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't noticed any significant difference in speed between 0.70 and 0.72

Mine's creeping along too.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: 2008 September 27, 19:49:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Compared with which version?  Don't forget every time a new EP is installed there is another 200Mb or more of data for SimPE to handle and store.  As well as any cc you have added depending on your configuration. Do what lots of other people have found helpful - ensure Downloads is not in your filetable and also untick all but basegame and your latest EP.   This is the last time I am gonna type this as it's giving me RSI and I have posted it on the SimPE site as a FAQ now Smiley

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: 2008 September 27, 20:06:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Compared with which version?  Don't forget every time a new EP is installed there is another 200Mb or more of data for SimPE to handle and store.  As well as any cc you have added depending on your configuration. Do what lots of other people have found helpful - ensure Downloads is not in your filetable and also untick all but basegame and your latest EP.   This is the last time I am gonna type this as it's giving me RSI and I have posted it on the SimPE site as a FAQ now Smiley

I believe I had the last QA version before the official release.  Um, if I untick everything but the latest EP, doesn't that mean SimPE won't be able to find resources that came with the other EP's?  And my Downloads are already excluded from the file table.

Incidentally, any particular reason why the EP's/SP's I don't have are grayed out and I can't untick them?

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: 2008 September 27, 20:14:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Under some rare circumstances it might work out that way (in which case tick on the relevant EP temporarily), but mostly you will find everything you need, for object making, and also for skinning if you start the normal way by making the outfit clone in bodyshop.
Make a "workshop" folder and add that into your filetable, then you can throw into it any user resources you are expecting to want to reference for your current work.

As to the permagray boxes, I asked Quaxi about that once and he was adamant that was the right thing to do.

ScoobyDoo
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2008 September 27, 22:39:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why do the new (the roomies and such that came with AL) have Mr Potato head?  Also, I was going to use the Alt Sim Surgery to make them over, but they don't appear on this list.  Huh
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: 2008 September 28, 08:02:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I refuse to type the answer to this question one more time  Cheesy

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: 2008 September 28, 08:15:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here, Inge-have some tea. Sugar?

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: 2008 September 28, 08:43:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you Emma!
* Inge kicks off shoes and relaxes

Halloweenscorpio
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2008 September 28, 11:45:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just dropped the folder into my program files and it works fine. I removed the old folder first, of course.

Ok, just because I said that, I got little red x's next to everything. I'm wondering if I didn't let it load though, so I'm trying Wizards now.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 28, 11:55:06 by Halloweenscorpio » Logged
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: 2008 September 28, 12:39:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In order for me to be sure where the problem is occurring, please right-click on the link you are using and copy shortcut and paste it here.  I suspect Sourceforge is diverting you to the default (which Quaxi never gave Peter access to change) which is a bit naughty of it, but to be totally sure I need to see you're not getting the wrong link from somewhere in the first place.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2008 September 28, 18:01:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can greatly improve speed and RAMs-usage by stripping down all the unnecessary files. If you're like me, for instance, you don't need SimPE to ALWAYS load every single texture from the base game and up, chewing up 1.4 GBs of RAM in the process, when all I ever do is make BHAV edits. None of those resources are NECESSARY unless you're using them, but SimPE will load every last piece of junk and chew up more RAMs than the game itself does.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: 2008 September 28, 18:22:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Peter and I are plotting a "hackersmode" commandline switch, which will make SimPE totally refuse to open any files in the 3D folders.  So the only thing that it will know about scenegraph resources will be the references in the STR# files Cheesy

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: 2008 September 28, 18:35:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Inge, it appears that the program just wanted me to reboot my PC.  It's working fine now.  D'oh.

* AmberDiceless facepalms.

ScoobyDoo
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2008 September 28, 20:05:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Vers 0.72.1.33855, AL is checked on filetable.

Strange thing is to even see them in the neighborhood viewer, you have to check Uneditable.  Even then they won't have a picture, just their name and details.  Do these roomies have special coding attached to them or am I missing something obvious?
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: 2008 September 28, 21:34:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My room mates are listed as Townies.

ScoobyDoo
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2008 September 29, 00:36:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is what I mean:

I was hoping to use the alt sim surgery and replace the ugly roomies with some new dna that I personally didn't make. For a bit more randomness in their appearance.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: 2008 September 29, 06:55:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That doesn't mean he's ineditable, and it can apply to any sim anyway - all the stuff about roomies is a red herring.  Ineditable means you had to tick the ineditable box before he was listed at all.  This applies to sims in family 0.

You should be able to edit the sim even without seeing his thumbnail.  It's not the thumbnail you're editing, after all, the game will generate that as needed for the game.  If there is anywhere in SimPE that is refusing to deal with a sim due to a missing thumbnail, then please post a bug report at the simpe forum.  If it is in a 3rd party plugin, you need to discuss with the plugin author about lifting any restrictions he may have for non-thumbnailed sims.

ScoobyDoo
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2008 September 29, 08:30:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if making any modifications to them would corrupt the file.

Edit: Thanks, that was the problem.  No-one knew these new sims that came with AL, mainly due to their appearances.  Now the fun really begins  Smiley
« Last Edit: 2008 September 30, 19:47:16 by ScoobyDoo » Logged
cat
Asinine Airhead

INTJ - "Mastermind"

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2008 October 01, 09:04:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It appears my virus software (AVG 8.0) was causing the problems with simPE. At any rate, it works fine with the virus software uninstalled. Sorry for bothering you.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: 2008 October 01, 09:22:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's very useful information, thank you Cat.  It means that if anyone else is experiencing similar I can ask them about that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: