More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 23, 07:24:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Poncy Promenade - why not rent a house instead?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Poncy Promenade - why not rent a house instead?  (Read 22690 times)
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Poncy Promenade - why not rent a house instead?
« on: 2008 September 12, 14:47:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Poncy Promenade

I really hated the small apartments that came with the Apartment Life EP. So I set out to make some rentable homes. Being me, I ended up with four large homes on one ginormous lot.

There are a lot of communal activities as well as the large family homes. Each home has four double bedrooms, three bathrooms and one bonus room that could become a bedroom.

I have provided two downloads, one is still categorised as residential and one has been changed into an apartment lot. Some people have experienced borked apartment lots after download, so if that happens, you could download the residential and do your own conversion.

The residential lot costs §691,174. The houses rent out at §6671 - §7193.

Overview

Underground car parking - two cars per house. I've used the floor dividers to define the area that belongs to each house. I've tested with a trial family and they were able to purchase cars, place them and use them. You will have to lock the gates at the bottom of the stairs just for family, otherwise everysim will wander into the houses. If you wanted, you could expand the area covered by the floor dividers to create extra downstairs storage room.

The basement has a break in the wall/foundation on each of the four walls to provide light. The downside is that the gym etc think they're outdoors, so it's up to you whether you put in a wall or not. There are plenty of lights. You will need to replace the walls if you want to change the floors above.

Gym

I've tried to do a different style in each house. Each house also has one large bonus spare room plus a small enclosed verandah.
House 1 downstairs.

House 1 upstairs

Central community area including a view of the lifts from the basement

There are pictures of the inside of the other three houses on Laverwinkle. Also pics of the music room, the movie room and more of the communal areas on the ground floor.

Download residential lot

Download apartment lot

16/09/08: Apologies, I found some freeloaders in the files, good old phone line controller, no humble computer and a couple of Lord Darcy's armoire type mods. My apologies. All I can say is I was finally uploading at about 3am and forgot to check.

20/9/08:
Finally found time to do spacecadet's list.
- Walls in basement have no breaks, the lights can be turned on.
- TV room is all on ground level, so it will work.
- Walled off music room.
- Took lights off dining table and replaced with overhead light.
- Changed downstairs bathroom round so shower works.
- Moved the dresser blocking the bed.

I've had a few problems with the driveways, but if I click cancel it seems to be fine. Once all houses are rented, I don't get the error messages. The driveways work as planned. No-one else has mentioned getting errors, so I dunno.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 20, 08:09:44 by witch » Logged

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
Re: Poncy Promenade - why not rent a house instead?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 September 12, 15:15:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I DLed the residential version, as I fail at building basements. This looks like a fun lot to play, and may well keep some of my legacy spares very happy. It looks like you have thought of everything, so I hope I remember to cheat to rent the apartments furnished.

More F than you
nowhereme
Blathering Buffoon

ESFJ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 12, 15:58:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Incredible, witch! I'm looking forward to getting this into my game.

*Reminds self to download when self gets home.

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 12, 16:11:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very smart!  It reminds me of the posh part of Brighton Marina Smiley

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 12, 16:32:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Beautiful. Will snaffle this as soon as I get to the bottom of why PCs in apts have no FT related functionality.

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 12, 23:00:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the comments.  Smiley

Very smart!  It reminds me of the posh part of Brighton Marina Smiley

Brightom must have changed an awful lot then since I was a child visiting there 42 years ago. I remember a somewhat grimy, seedy sort of a look.

You can see why I'm keen on non-playable sims being able to use all the equipment, as per my request in your new hack thread.  Cheesy

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 13, 06:25:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very, VERY nice witch! I love the community garden.

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 13, 08:25:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Witch I have a feeling you're going to have to use visitor-enabled objects.   The "visitors" tickbox if it's not on means only persontype0 can select the option.   To check this, make a tenant neighbor selectable using my updated cat teleporter.  See if you can direct your neighbor to use the gym object.  If not, then that means you have to use a visitor enabled object.  NB making them selectable by other means won't work for this test.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 September 13, 08:37:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK. Will test that when I get a chance to play, probably not for a day or two. Ta.

Viscountess
kiki
Assgrabber
Stupid Schlemiel

ENTP - RULER

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 September 13, 12:30:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

same idea I had Cheesy I was looking for houses to rent, not just apartments for single sims...these will be nice.

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day." - Dean Martin
<Pescado>   Because hey, sometimes you have fun, and sometimes fun has you.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 September 13, 12:36:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My next effort will be four grunge houses on a small lot. Promise!

(As opposed to another ginormous lot).

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 September 13, 13:36:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is super.  And with rental prices above 6000, it's great for those people who complain that their sims always have too much money.

Drain those bank accounts!  Grin

Tribulatio proxima est
kalina
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 September 13, 18:43:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very nice!
I like playing with apartments because the neighbors make the game more interesting, but there isn't enough space in an apartment for all skill objects, career rewards and so on. This is great and is very nicely decorated!
pangolin
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 September 13, 19:22:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Great set of house thank you Most  places around us here are rented house and not apartments.
Annette
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 September 13, 23:32:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very very nice. Any sim would be lucky to live there. I love the concept of several houses together so families can really get to know the aunts, cousins etc. Unfortunately my machine struggled with it so my guys will have to make do with something less. Machine upgrades on hold until TS3 spec's come out.
I did move Lazlo Curious in. As it was so beautifully furnished he didn't bring anything from home. Mistake, as all the furniture disappeared. (That's an AL feature?) He certainly enjoyed the games room though, all the stuff in the community areas stayed.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 September 14, 00:13:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Annette, turn debug mode on before you move a sim in, then shift-click on the apartment door, you can choose to rent it furnished that way.

I suspect I'm not the only person doing separate houses, I'm sure there will be more reasonably sized ones coming out that your machine won't complain about.  Cheesy

BTW I didn't magic wand the lot, I was over it by the time I finally furnished the 4th house, so if you needed to drop the rent, magic wanding would work.

I wonder if rent goes down over time as the furnishings deplete in value naturally? Not for the sim that's currently living there, but maybe for the next sim that moves in?

Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 September 14, 19:25:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am playing this lot with four playable families to test it, and it is working very well. I had all four families rent their house furnished with no problems.

The stage foundation under the TV in the basement prevents Sims from using the TV though. Also, they cannot watch TV from the chairs on the stage foundation. I deleted the foundations, except for the squares under the flowerpots.

In the front house to the right as you enter the lot from the road, I had to remove the lights from the dinner table as Sims were not using the table when the lights were on it. Also I swopped the downstairs shower and basin around as the shower was not usable in the corner. The back left house has a bedroom dresser that needs to be moved 90 degrees as it is blocking access to one side of the bed, I only noticed this one when a Sim complained at me of course.

Most of the neighbours seem to spend hours rollerskating or using the DJ booth. The playground is very popular with the 6s and the 12s, they often use it autonomously.

I also closed in all the basement walls so the whole basement counts as inside, and put a wall around the music room. This was mainly to prevent complaints when sims with low creative skill decide to practise.

Now one of my stupid butlers, who seems to have zero cooking skills, often cooks two meals at a time (to cater for guests I suppose) and persists in placing the extra plates of burnt food down on the basement bar counters, where they exude green smoke until the next day when the landlord comes.

I love the decor themes and the interesting little touches. My PC runs rather slowly on this lot too but quite honestly it is worth it because this is definitely the best apartment lot that I have downloaded so far.

More F than you
missaaliyah
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 September 15, 03:16:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I tried playing your lot, it runs okay but I have a high spec PC.  The house however is a bit broken and needs some attention, also I am not sure if you listed all EP's and SP's needed and I dont actually play every EP.  Not that I cant, because the game is fast enough and my downloads folder is limited to under 4000.  I never let it get over that.

So before I moved simmies in, I changed it to Residential and then furnished, took me hours but when I changed it to apartments, now the sims are happy. 

Great apartments, nice space, lotsa room.   Wink   Smiley

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 September 15, 08:07:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am playing this lot with four playable families to test it, and it is working very well. I had all four families rent their house furnished with no problems.
I've only had time to put one family in and I only just moved them in, so I haven't noticed the problems you mention. Bummer about the big screen TV!
Thanks for your feedback, it is much appreciated. I only tested for the garages working.
Most of the neighbours seem to spend hours rollerskating or using the DJ booth. The playground is very popular with the 6s and the 12s, they often use it autonomously.
Cool! I was hoping the kids would be autonomous with the playground. Do sims use the gym? I plan to put families with kids in all four houses too. Doubt I'm going to get to play tonight though. Sad

I love the decor themes and the interesting little touches. My PC runs rather slowly on this lot too but quite honestly it is worth it because this is definitely the best apartment lot that I have downloaded so far.
It runs a bit slow on my machine too!  Cheesy I did try to have a different theme for each house so as to avoid the cookie cutter look.

So before I moved simmies in, I changed it to Residential and then furnished, took me hours but when I changed it to apartments, now the sims are happy. 
The lot came furnished. Took me days, not hours. There was a residential lot for download as well, BTW. Please tell me how the house is broken, if you have noticed some issues that tngrspacecadet has not listed.

Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 September 15, 08:22:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The music room is more popular than the gym, but I put a ballet barre in and of course they use that autonomously.

I am quite happy with sims not using gym equipment autonomously because one home business venue lot I played ended up with a bunch of Townie ghosts from obsessive treadmill use.

More F than you
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 September 15, 09:35:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am quite happy with sims not using gym equipment autonomously because one home business venue lot I played ended up with a bunch of Townie ghosts from obsessive treadmill use.

Good grief!  Cheesy

ETA: I'm having some problems with driveway extensions going missing/throwing errors on lot load. This happens even with a new instance of the lot and the same family moved in as prior. I removed all downloads including hacks before testing the new lot. I have the lot binned as residential and only convert it to apartments after it is placed.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: 2008 September 15, 10:57:59 by witch » Logged

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 September 16, 11:05:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry to double post but I wanted to bring this thread to the attention of anyone that has downloaded this lot so far.

Nothing major, but I found a couple of freeloading files in the lot, the phone line controller, no humble computer and a couple of armoire type mods.

My apologies, it was late at night when I was uploading. The downloads are now clean with lot segment only.

jim
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 September 16, 11:44:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What a brilliant setup. It never occurred to me that you could create a little housing estate with AL.  I have two brothers, married with kids, that I can move in to this. At the moment the kids can only play together if we invite them over, or take them on holiday. This way the kids can play together whenever they want. If I move the grandparents into one of the other houses, that's babysitting on tap as well - a free creche!

I feel a legacy coming on.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 September 16, 11:50:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Incidentally, magic wanding appears to have little or no effect on apartment rental prices, which are based apparently entirely on area rented. The furnishings do not add to the cost at all.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 September 16, 12:01:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I feel a legacy coming on.

Yeah, I thought I might start a new hood with this. My CAS sims seem to start with enough for almost four weeks rent, if they haven't got their shit together by then, they deserve to be on the street!

Did you note I'm having some driveway problems? I didn't at first and no-one else has complained, so I'm assuming my lot just suddenly got borked. Back to testing in clean mode for a bit.

Incidentally, magic wanding appears to have little or no effect on apartment rental prices, which are based apparently entirely on area rented. The furnishings do not add to the cost at all.

I'm glad I didn't sit waving a pretend wand, which looks like a packing case, all over this ginormous lot then!  Cheesy The floor space in each of these "apartments" is what's hiking up the rent then.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: