More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 21:00:44

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Serious Business
| |-+  Secret Desert Headquarters
| | |-+  Spore Discussions
| | | |-+  Lest we forget: SPORE
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Lest we forget: SPORE  (Read 138320 times)
MaryH
Garrulous Gimp

I can haz Polar Bearz

View Profile
Re: Lest we forget: SPORE
« Reply #25 on: 2008 September 03, 03:04:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never seen the attraction that this game has. I don't like critters that much, and I certainly wouldn't spend my time making them. It's hard enough making Simmies, and creatures that have no remote resemblance to things living or dead do not spark my mind with ideas.
Hell, I don't even like the ones that I've seen so far in various places-ridiculous to me.
To each his own, but I wouldn't want to put up with the 3 install limit that the game will have, SecuRom, or the DM they will force one to have when you want to upgrade the game.
No, thank you. Not my cup of tea.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2008 September 03, 03:53:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can has luv for IAmTheRad?

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Roxxy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2008 September 03, 07:53:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Played it today for about 2hrs on another family members PC and had heaps of fun with it, it's very unique to anything else I have ever played.   Looking forward to playing some more and figuring out the gameplay further.

A high post count, proves nothing... your behaviour and actions speak much louder.
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: 2008 September 03, 12:22:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a question to ask before I torrent, rather than waste time and bandwidth for something I may not be able to use.

The computer with the graphics card doesn't have a net connection yet, what form does the torrent arrive in? For example, is it multiple .rars, that I can fit on my 512MB MP3 player - in multiple trips - or am I screwed? (ie, is it just one file?)

Also, does the torrented Spore, once installed, need a net connection? (I hope not!)

Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2008 September 03, 12:30:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Faizah, save your time.  The torrent is down at this moment.

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2008 September 03, 14:03:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really? I finished this morning, just shy of three hours ago.

So far so good, though I didn't have much time to play before I had to get to work. I'm at early creature stage. I got the Pacifist label after the cellular stage as I didn't attack anything. This is mostly because I didn't know how to. My doo-hickey had a solid "Run Awaaaay!" mentality.  Movies are absolute cuteness.

EDIT: Things make more sense when you use your words.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 03, 14:20:44 by Zazazu » Logged

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
MidnightVoyager
Exasperating Eyesore

INFP, AQ: 36. Fear.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2008 September 03, 14:14:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So far so good, though I didn't have much time to play before I had to get to work. I'm at early creature stage. I got the Pacifist label after the cellular stage as I didn't attack anything. This is mostly because I didn't know how to. My doo-hickey had a solid "Run Awaaaay!"  Movies are absolute cuteness.

That's... terribly cute.

My torrent -should- finish sometime this evening. I checked before I left for work and it was still going on strong, around 100KB transfer rate. I... well, I ordered it, but I'm terribly impatient, so I'm going to get in some offline play before it gets here next Tuesday. (Who releases a game on Sunday? That's one more day that people who ordered it online can't have it. Jerks.)
« Last Edit: 2008 September 03, 18:35:04 by MidnightVoyager » Logged
squish
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: 2008 September 03, 14:46:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So far so good, though I didn't have much time to play before I had to get to work. I'm at early creature stage. I got the Pacifist label after the cellular stage as I didn't attack anything. This is mostly because I didn't know how to. My doo-hickey had a solid "Run Awaaaay!" mentality.  Movies are absolute cuteness.

EDIT: Things make more sense when you use your words.
I don't know if I was doing it right, but if you aimed your cell thingy at another cell thingy and wiggle the mouse around, they tended to 'hurt' each other depending on who hit who first/harder. I'm finding the mouse controls a little award.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2008 September 03, 15:31:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I forgot to add, but the saddest thing was when my girl (I assume she's a girl as she laid eggs) walked by the corpse of one of my other creations.  Cry

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2008 September 03, 15:33:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I feel that I played out my enthusiasm for 'critter games' with the various incarnations of Creatures and Pokemon so Spore really doesn't interest me. I won't be buying and will stick with TS2, I might even install AL at the weekend.

Creatures! I used to love those games...
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2008 September 03, 16:13:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So far so good, though I didn't have much time to play before I had to get to work. I'm at early creature stage. I got the Pacifist label after the cellular stage as I didn't attack anything. This is mostly because I didn't know how to. My doo-hickey had a solid "Run Awaaaay!"  Movies are absolute cuteness.

My torrent -should- finish sometime this evening. I checked before I left for work and it was still going on strong, around 100MB transfer rate. I... well, I ordered it, but I'm terribly impatient, so I'm going to get in some offline play before it gets here next Tuesday. (Who releases a game on Sunday? That's one more day that people who ordered it online can't have it. Jerks.)

Hmm.  When I click the torrent link, (and I've tried  both private and public trackers), it says "The system cannot find the file specified" and nothing happens.

edited to fix stupid errors.  Edited again:  NM.  It finally worked on about the 10th try.  But private trackers rule!  I'm getting speeds topping out at 400 kB/s
« Last Edit: 2008 September 03, 16:35:49 by cwieberdink » Logged

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
IAmTheRad
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2008 September 03, 17:29:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My download speed isn't as fast as some of yours. I cap at 160KB/s downloads. So I didn't use torrents (of course).

I downloaded the game off usenet. It's the best way, in my opinion. Then I don't need to worry about the speed of the torrent dropping below a specific speed. I kept the same speed, and started the download before I went to bed. And put the rar files on my laptop when I woke up (and extracted and installed during class at school)

I know i won't get nearly the same quality of graphics on my laptop as I'll get at home. But I did give it a quick try, and it was fun. I enjoyed my small time in the cell stage, even when I had a few minutes to try out the game. It's actually *gasp* going to be a purchase for me! I'll suffer securom and it's DRM solely for the content that I'll get off the sporepedia, and I know I'll have limited activations, but maybe the crack will let me avoid the activations and still have the game. A unique key? Yes, please!

Spore, even when I only tried the cell stage a little bit, was still fun. I'll be able to try it some more during my lunch break, and able to play it when I arrive at home on my desktop (and have much better graphics there).

So, free trial of the full game even with the limitations of no user content. At least I can play it for a couple of days before I officially own the game.

BTW: I believe the torrent is in .rar files that can be transferred on a usb flash drive.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2008 September 03, 18:19:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IAmtheRad, you should still be able to access the sporepedia without buying the game, at least for creatures. All you have to do is wrong-click and save the .png files to your creatures subfolder. I'm not sure about ploppables, but I suspect they'll do the same. Why put your computer at risk, knowingly?

BTW: Si, it is in a split .rar file.

UPDATE: Confirmed, you can get user buildings, etc, as well from the website without being logged in.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 03, 20:39:48 by Zazazu » Logged

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
lemmiwinks
Buttlicker
Dead Member

Moar gayer than Jordi

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2008 September 03, 20:53:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are free file splitters out there, so *anything* can be transferred on a flash drive or memory stick.

Please remember to click the "THANKS" button!
Ryslin
Dimwitted Dunce

I/E NF P/J- Yah , what about it?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2008 September 03, 21:05:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heck.. unrar and rerar it, that is what RaR was made for.

I was delighted to do random searching and find Spore was ARRable, I am further delighted that Sporepedia is easily downloadable. I hope if a bunch of MATY like this we can perhaps have a Spore corner.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
photo
Knuckleheaded Knob

I has a llama.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2008 September 03, 21:59:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good lord, mines only at 8.0kB/s... Anyone know how to speed it up a bit?

I'm a she.
I am teh AIDES, photo 1 & photo b.
lemmiwinks
Buttlicker
Dead Member

Moar gayer than Jordi

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2008 September 03, 22:30:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes. Quit watching it.

Please remember to click the "THANKS" button!
coltraz
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2008 September 04, 00:33:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes. Quit watching it.

HAH!
Good advice, actually. That usually works, after ports are forwarded and settings are tweaked.

As for Spore... I got sort of bored after about a half hour of playing with the creature creator, and I think I might get bored with the full game after a couple times through it. I hope it will grow on me a bit more, but so far I am not having the orgasms I thought I was going to...
The installation was awful. Creature Creator would not uninstall so I had to delete it all manually, from the registry and everything. Then, I was being denied access to install data from "\sporebin\" so I had to extract everything from the ISO into a folder on my desktop. Then I got ANOTHER error at the end of the install. I can't remember what it was. Luckily, there was an "ignore" feature to this error...
« Last Edit: 2008 September 04, 03:58:37 by coltraz » Logged
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2008 September 04, 02:18:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, if you are board, perhaps you should go get hammered.

In other news...
I hath made FIRE!

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
coltraz
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2008 September 04, 03:56:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*rubs eyes* I just played for hours. Can't be that boring, I guess.
I made a creature with no eyes. Right now it's a carnivorous fly.
(not sure why I said board instead of bored. I know the difference, so it's odd I would do that. twice in one post. faaaack.)
squish
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: 2008 September 04, 05:08:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahhh I keep getting surrounded by various huge creatures and all I end up doing is having to run away, unless they get me first Angry
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2008 September 04, 10:31:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This game is rather short, and rather violent. I'm already on the galactic stage after a single 8-hour sitting and the entire game so far has been characterized by violence. Lots of violence. I'm not sure if it even POSSIBLE to be peaceful, seeing as the entire world is invariably full of things trying to kill me. The pool stage is characterized by angry critters trying to kill me, so I would stab them with my spork and eat them. The creature stage is characterized by angry monsters trying to kill me, so I kill them and eat them. The tribal stage is characterized by a bunch of tribes of lesser creatures who attack me unprovoked, so I retaliate and kill them and burn their villages. The civilization stage is again characterized by other civilizations, who proceed to attack me without provocation, so I kill them.

Is anyone else finding the game characterized by constant violence?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

ISFP - now more Introverted than Pescado!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2008 September 04, 10:44:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shouldn't you like the MOAR FIGHT! aspect?

Fuck you, Old Man. Fuck you.
FourCats
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2008 September 04, 10:51:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This game is rather short, and rather violent. I'm already on the galactic stage after a single 8-hour sitting and the entire game so far has been characterized by violence. Lots of violence. I'm not sure if it even POSSIBLE to be peaceful, seeing as the entire world is invariably full of things trying to kill me. The pool stage is characterized by angry critters trying to kill me, so I would stab them with my spork and eat them. The creature stage is characterized by angry monsters trying to kill me, so I kill them and eat them. The tribal stage is characterized by a bunch of tribes of lesser creatures who attack me unprovoked, so I retaliate and kill them and burn their villages. The civilization stage is again characterized by other civilizations, who proceed to attack me without provocation, so I kill them.

You must love this game.  Killing and eating, your two favorite things to do. Smiley

May all your fears & worries come true.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2008 September 04, 15:15:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mostly.

Cellular stage isn't hard. Run, run, run, and eat. I actually found it harder as a carnivore because so many of those hippy herbivores had big spikes. The creature stage can be done nonviolently. I chose not to, as I got too close to a hostile nest trying to get a fossil and the bastards killed one of my tag-a-longs. I hunted them down, and their little babies too.

I have no idea how you could possibly do tribal stage nonviolently, as rival tribes are out to get you from moment one, and I haven't seen any way to turn a prehostile tribe to a neutral stance. I fail at this level. I really, really fail, and kept getting my entire tribe wiped out. Tips would be appreciated.

Civilization stage seems okay. I didn't get to see too much of it. I wasn't doing well, but no one tried to kill me. Well, some wild tribe damaged a ship of mine, but that wasn't too bad.

I saw some epic creatures, and witnessed a few abductions. They almost sucked up one of my tagalongs.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: