More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 12:31:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Can you rent an apartment with a table in it?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Can you rent an apartment with a table in it?  (Read 7643 times)
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Can you rent an apartment with a table in it?
« on: 2008 September 01, 17:25:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In other words, if you build an apartment and put a table in it, when you change the zoning, does the table disappear or stay? In other other words lot A was a row house complex that came with the game. Sim A moves in and serves food all over the damn place. Lot B is one I built, loosely based off of the row house lot. Sim B moved into Lot B. Sim B serves food to only him and his roomate. I much prefer this and am trying to figure out why.
My theory is that if you build a lot with a table in place and change the zoning, this flicks a switch in the objects to make them stay when you move in. Those that can't switch over vanish. So if a table can stay and be rented, something in it has been changed to make it associated with the lot, then a sim looking for a table will go to all the lot tables. But if a sim buys a table, it is not lot associated, but household associated. So the sim uses their own table.
Since I don't remember if a table came with Lot A, then I realize I could be wrong entirely.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Re: Can you rent an apartment with a table in it?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 September 01, 18:10:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The first apartment building I made, I did FURNISHED apartments.

When I went to move the first sims in, the furniture was ALL GONE.

So NO, you can't have furnishings in the apartments, especially because those 'missing' furnishings jack the rent up!

So I scrapped that apartment building.

I now build them unfurnished save for kitchen counters, stove, fridge, and optional dishwasher/trash compactor. Also I put in the bathroom fixtures.  Also any place I want overhead lighting - that goes in.  No other furnishings as they just disappear.

Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 01, 18:17:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or you could just go into debug mode, shift+click the door and select "Rent Furnished Apartment".
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 01, 19:30:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well crappers. Any ideas on why apartment A served food to everyone, God and God's dog while B didn't? Lot B did have a common picnic area, only it's the bbq from vacation instead of the one with the base game. The landlord still throws parties in the common area.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 02, 06:08:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the same vein as the title-what about apartments with phones? I built my own little test apartment, just to make sure I was 'doing it right', placed no furniture, but placed ceiling lights, a smoke and burglar alarm and one of the Freetime phones. When I got the Goodies to rent it the phone had vanished. I was wondering if it was a phone issue or if it was meant to be like that? I've noticed that EAxis-made apartments do not come equipped with phones as standard.

Bugger
Lipless Loser

off on another strange Bugger tangent...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 02, 08:32:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I spend most of my time building, and it doesn't make me too happy that "rent furnished apt" isn't already an option.  I have been using the cheat to do so.  After all of the apartments I have built (from scratch or by modifying pre-built ones), I never have the phones stay put without shift clicking for a furnished apartment.  It also seems that my garbage chutes don't stay in either.  My kitchen/bathroom cabinets and fixtures stay put (excluding mirrors & small appliances)... as well as my smoke detectors.  I guess the guys at EA were concerned my sims are all too stupid to cook without burning down the complex.

<Dark_Trepie> Booty's go OHHH!. Pirate Booty's go ARRR!
missaaliyah
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 02, 11:47:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Carrigon has done some hacks for this, you can rent an apartment fully furnished.
http://www.sims2workshop.com/viewtopic.php?t=2900&sid=d9386d985e1b268cd1e3e4f0e65db135

The rest of the hacks for Apartment Life are here
http://www.sims2workshop.com/viewforum.php?f=164
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 02, 12:18:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My kitchen/bathroom cabinets and fixtures stay put... as well as my smoke detectors.  I guess the guys at EA were concerned my sims are all too stupid to cook without burning down the complex.
See, now where's the fun in that? For lobotomized fools, these sims are surprisingly difficult to kill without intent. I see no need for that sort of default babysitting. Can't cook without burning down your flat? Fine, then. Have someone call the fire brigade. Can't stop your hysterics long enough to call the fire brigade? Roast.

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
tgcgoddess
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 September 02, 18:28:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

... as well as my smoke detectors.  I guess the guys at EA were concerned my sims are all too stupid to cook without burning down the complex.
Now, see that is actually realistic to me.  Where I live, it is the law that landlords have to provide smoke detectors in all units, and even provide batteries for them as well.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 September 02, 20:36:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is also the law (in my area) that those smoke detectors must be checked with a representative of the Fire Department in attendance at least once a year. My unit's management company does it every six months after the fire that was in my building, as a CYA method, since no smoke alarms went off and an alternate fire escape had not been marked (in their defense, there was one escape marked, but a stairway about a foot away from my apartment was not).

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 September 03, 01:37:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yeah, because I loathe the frequency of cooking fires...even by skilled sims, I install the fire sprinkler directly above all stoves - in all houses and apartment units.

In reality, I've had exactly ONE cooking fire...ONE. and I've been cooking since age 11 (and I had the fire in my early 20's shortly after I got married).  It's kinda like the idiotic frequency with which trees on any lot get set on fire by lightning. Does that happen 4 to 5 times a day in Maxis employees' yards? Cuz it's NEVER happened in one of mine...and I am unlucky around lightning.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 September 03, 11:31:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In real life, cooking fires are relatively uncommon and short because food tends to have a high water content, which burns poorly.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
tgcgoddess
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 September 03, 17:17:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In real life, cooking fires are relatively uncommon and short because food tends to have a high water content, which burns poorly.

Oh, I don't know about that, my step-mom could do it.
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 September 03, 17:40:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And there's the ever-popular grease fire while cooking. Always a festive event.

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
BrokenRobot
Dimwitted Dunce

sekrit Republican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2008 September 03, 23:19:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They're even more festive when you throw water on them.
Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 September 06, 01:56:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try running out of the kitchen with burning pan in hand and dropping it on the carpet. Melted carpet is way cool.  Roll Eyes

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?<br />Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: