More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 12:05:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oh My! I think EA might have done something smart for a change!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Oh My! I think EA might have done something smart for a change!  (Read 10325 times)
kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Oh My! I think EA might have done something smart for a change!
« on: 2008 August 31, 23:07:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My computer is running on an Intel Core 2 Duo, and because of the way the game is coded, it never took advantage of that. Big homes ALWAYS crashed... That is... Until I installed AL! First I was expecting a half hour install, but 10 minutes and it was fully installed. So I thought "Thats odd, I hope it installed properly." As it turned out, it not only installed properly, but after it created the user files, all the loading screens ran faster than it took to get a book to read. I made a huge mansion, that ran perfectly, as in no disappearing furnishings, or floating dogs!
      So my question is did EA actually make AL dual core compatible? If so I may lose my phobia of the game due to large house glitches! I am extremely suprised at how well it's running. Get rid of the heaps of glitches, and I'll be all set, and I hope many other people will be too.
« Last Edit: 2008 August 31, 23:14:21 by parrot » Logged

"Of course I'm alright! But supposing I wasn't alright! I mean, this thing makes me feel in such a way that I'd be very worried if I felt like that about somebody else feeling like this about that. Do you understand?"
Aner-Dyfan
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Re: Oh My! I think EA might have done something smart for a change!
« Reply #1 on: 2008 August 31, 23:22:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You loosened tight pants. I've suffered no Core 2 problems, the only program I've had to suffer such problems was Earth 2150. To which Forcecore works fine.
kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 August 31, 23:28:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't have major problems either (just couldn't make mansions,) but everyone says the game is incompatible with dual core, and to see the performance skyrocket gives me three possibilities:

1. They made it dual core compatible,

2. They fixed the memory leak, or

3. They did both.
« Last Edit: 2008 August 31, 23:38:05 by parrot » Logged

"Of course I'm alright! But supposing I wasn't alright! I mean, this thing makes me feel in such a way that I'd be very worried if I felt like that about somebody else feeling like this about that. Do you understand?"
YoungOldPrude
Corpulent Cretin

Cat-aholic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 01, 01:49:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My game's loading session has sped up too. It used to take about seven minutes. Now it takes three.

Just for the heck of it, I will add that I have all EPs and SPs.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 03, 22:53:53 by YoungOldPrude » Logged

"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life—music and cats." ~Albert Schweitzer

"Happy people can be so cruel."
~ Claudia of Silent Hill 3.
somnambulist
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 01, 02:12:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No Core 2 problems here either, but AL is slower to load than FT (no pants are currently involved -- I figured last EP was a good time to nuke it all from space.)
Lum
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 01, 02:20:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My AL loaded pretty fast, but with no Petz nor FT... at first. It feels like she's returning to her grumpy old ways, though.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 01, 02:27:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine still crawls like a snail. You're imagining things.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 01, 03:08:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No change here. No dual core, either. Still takes me 6 minutes to load the game with 2.54 GB of custom content, all EP, K&B, H&M, and Ikea SPs. (mini-rant, & key is hard to find when you can't see your keyboard)

On the test account, it's about 1.5 minutes icon to household.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 01, 03:19:57 by Zazazu » Logged

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

Suck it, Jesus! This avatar is my God now!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 September 01, 03:10:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine seems about the same, which is lightning speed.  Takes 3 minutes max to get to the neighborhood screen.  Cool

Who doesn't like kitties? KITTIES! They're cute! They're fuzzy!
Try this before posting, n00b.
coralleane
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 September 01, 03:13:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine loads the actual *game* very fast, but going into the neighbourhood and then into a house takes quite a bit of time.  Given how huge my neighbourhood seems to be, though, that's perhaps not surprising..
Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 September 01, 03:18:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm experiencing the opposite.  My game seems much slower and going into a hotel for the first time took so long that I thought it was going to crash.  I usually run my game with 8 gigs of downloads and the Megahood that is almost as big--and if I run a new hood with no downloads, I usually don't have to wait but a few seconds.  It is really strange.
Baron
Tyyppi
Horrible Halfwit

Even more arrows in knees!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 September 01, 03:52:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The game sure seems to be at least somewhat slower than before although it has been some time since I played. Just reinstalled the game and all the EPs (no Stuff Packs and only 81 MB of CC). Empty lots load fast but occupied lots take longer to load and traveling to community lots takes a long time to load too.

hippi
Corpulent Cretin

ISFP

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 September 01, 09:47:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a fairly old computer but I noticed a change after installing AL, graphics are sharper and I can play larger lots than previously without lag.  I noticed the change the first time I loaded after I installed AL, as soon as I saw the huge lots in Belladonna Cove I thought I wouldn't be able to play them.  They play fine, no lag as of yet, although I haven't explored everything yet.  I wondered if they had updated the graphics card settings because there was a noticeable change in the sharpness too for me.  Maybe Nvidia and EA have finally got their acts together.

specs
AMD Athlon 2600+ 2.10GHz
2 gig ram
Nvidia Geforce 7300GT 512 Meg
XP Professional SP2

Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 September 01, 10:29:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine's still slow; however I think that's because ye olde fans are on their way out. It locked up twice yesterday.
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 September 01, 13:22:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine's still slow; however I think that's because ye olde fans are on their way out. It locked up twice yesterday.

That's not good. Have you tried spraying them out with a can of compressed air?

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 September 01, 13:28:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the people that noticed change have dual core, that supports my theory. If not, it's back to the drawing board.

Edit: What about ATI cards? I have an ATI Radeon X1600 video card. Do you guys have an ATI card, because possibly that is behind it!

Windows XP Home SP2
iMac Intel via Bootcamp
2.16GHz, 0.98 GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1600
All EP's
No SP's because their not worth it.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 01, 13:39:51 by parrot » Logged

socurious
Exasperating Eyesore

Loki Craptastic!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 September 01, 14:22:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I run Sims + all eps and sps on a non-awesome dual core laptop and, other than tight pants and n00bness, have not had problems with any of the eps.  The game loads quickly; neighborhoods a little slower.  I haven't read anywhere that EAxis was going to make the game take advantage of dual coredness.  If your theory is correct, it is merely coincidental or accidental. 

..."you should certainly be well-read in a subject before you pass judgement on it," Solowren
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 September 01, 21:39:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the people that noticed change have dual core, that supports my theory. If not, it's back to the drawing board.

Edit: What about ATI cards? I have an ATI Radeon X1600 video card. Do you guys have an ATI card, because possibly that is behind it!

Windows XP Home SP2
iMac Intel via Bootcamp
2.16GHz, 0.98 GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1600
All EP's
No SP's because their not worth it.

I'm running a dual core laptop with all EPs (minus BV because I didn't like it) and an ATI Radeon X1400 video card. I was surprised at how quickly the game loaded after installing AL; however, I upped my RAM to 2g over the summer and it may simply have been a result of that.

I sing along with elevator music.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2008 September 01, 23:40:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wonder if they sneakily deteled some old stuff like they've done before.  For example, some early-EP houses have been known to disappear from the lots and houses bin with the installation of a new EP.  Less content to load = faster load time, presumably.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 September 02, 02:14:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm running a quad-core (and no I'm not bragging about it, I don't see that much difference) and there doesn't seem to be anything loading any faster than it was with FreeTime...yeah things sped up considerably when I moved the game to this computer from my previous one (it was limping along kinda like an in-game zombie)...but nothing's really made things any faster than it was when I first loaded it here.

And I'm sure Maxis didn't do anything right...except their track record is perfect - they broke the piano again.

virgali
Malodorous Moron

Do you see a midget Hitler?!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 September 02, 17:47:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's weird. I remember reading a thread here about the game having a glitch that caused it not to run properly on Dual core machines? It was soem time ago and I am technically challanged so I may have not understood what people were talking about.

Though I remember the thread 'cause it explained how to fix it and everything with a file you had to download from the Windows site. Undecided

Do you need someone to organize your sock drawer?
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 September 02, 23:05:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's weird. I remember reading a thread here about the game having a glitch that caused it not to run properly on Dual core machines? It was soem time ago and I am technically challanged so I may have not understood what people were talking about.

Though I remember the thread 'cause it explained how to fix it and everything with a file you had to download from the Windows site. Undecided

The file is actually called 'Forcecore' and it's a small utility that's somewhere here and around on the net -- it forces the application to use just one core.  Up to FT at least, the game ran faster if you forced it to use only one core.  It had some glitches and ran slower if you let it use all cores.  It seems like AL may not necessarily run better on a multi-core machine, but it won't run bad, either.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
virgali
Malodorous Moron

Do you see a midget Hitler?!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 September 03, 04:43:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So if I tried the Forcecore on AL it wouldn't make any diffference?

Do you need someone to organize your sock drawer?
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 September 03, 18:53:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It doesn't appear to.  I ran AL for a couple of hours on my Core 2 Duo desktop last night, and it hummed along just fine -- even seemed faster than FT using one core w/Forcecore. I saw no lag, no graphic glitches, nor any other signs of it having an issue with a multi-core processor.

So it seems that AL at least plays nice with the multi-core processors, if it doesn't actually make good use of them.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: