More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 09:14:07

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Downloads Folder Placement
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Downloads Folder Placement  (Read 2315 times)
titanicbrittanic
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
Downloads Folder Placement
« on: 2008 August 31, 20:37:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I realize that the default placement of the sims 2 downloads folder is in 'My Documents' but I wonder if there is any way for it to be put on to a drive? I recently purchased an external hard drive that I am putting all of my games on and I want to keep all of my sim files contained on this one drive; so, is there any way to link the folder for downloads to the game while it is on this drive?  Huh

Edit: While isntalling the games on to the hard drive, I found out the hard way that it was easier for me to put the downloads folder in my drive, however there are other ways of doing it as described by the very articulate post by Jesslla.

« Last Edit: 2008 September 01, 01:43:19 by titanicbrittanic » Logged
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
Re: Downloads Folder Placement
« Reply #1 on: 2008 August 31, 22:17:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1) Double posting is frowned upon here. Don't do it. Read the FAQ, LURK MOAR, and learn how to edit your posts.

2) On a typical computer (with one internal hard drive) *everything* is on the C drive. "My Documents" is a shortcut to C:\Documents and Settings\*your login name*\My Documents\. You can move My Documents to any other location by right clicking on the desktop icon and then changing the path.

3) The downloads folder having to be on the same drive as your game is crap. My "My Documents" folder is on one drive and my games are installed on two completely different drives.

The best way to move your downloads is either move where "My Documents" points to, or move the Sims 2 folder, and put a shortcut in My Documents.

External drives are typically slower than internal hard drives, because the computer can not access the data any faster than the speed of the USB/Firewire port you're using. I don't know if you'll notice a difference, USB 2.0 is pretty fast but I don't believe it's as fast as the SATA bus.

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
titanicbrittanic
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
Re: Downloads Folder Placement
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 01, 01:37:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you for pointing out that flaw in board edicate, but I thought that since I answered my own question, I should post the answer in case others wanted it. I totally forgot about editing since this is the first board I have ever felt compelled to type on. Sorry for the mistake. Thank you for the awesome break down  Cool  I'll keep all that in mind when I go back over my steps setting it up.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: