More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 10:05:50

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Cleared out apartments: Really an intention???
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Cleared out apartments: Really an intention???  (Read 10860 times)
Cyron
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
Cleared out apartments: Really an intention???
« on: 2008 August 31, 09:44:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well EA tells us that it is intended to be that way when most of the furnishing of an appartment disappears when rented but I can't imagine this is true. Why? Simply because of the investments a Sim has to make. Besides paying the weekly rent (which is always extremely high compared to what we get in exchange) he also has to buy all the new furnishing and decoration. At total this is more expensive than buying a regular house! So why the heck should I rent an apartment? It don't make sense that way!
Morover it takes a lot of time to refurnish an apartment which was fully furnished before!
I came to the conclusion that I will play with the premade apartment inhabitants but I won't add new ones.
Intended behavior or a huge bug which EA puts in disguise by saying "it has to be that way" ?
However it is absolutely annoying!

Greetings,
Cyron
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
Re: Cleared out apartments: Really an intention???
« Reply #1 on: 2008 August 31, 09:57:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well EA tells us that it is intended to be that way when most of the furnishing of an appartment disappears when rented but I can't imagine this is true. Why? Simply because of the investments a Sim has to make. Besides paying the weekly rent (which is always extremely high compared to what we get in exchange) he also has to buy all the new furnishing and decoration. At total this is more expensive than buying a regular house! So why the heck should I rent an apartment? It don't make sense that way!
Morover it takes a lot of time to refurnish an apartment which was fully furnished before!
I came to the conclusion that I will play with the premade apartment inhabitants but I won't add new ones.
Intended behavior or a huge bug which EA puts in disguise by saying "it has to be that way" ?
However it is absolutely annoying!

To rent a furnished apartment, turn on debug mode and shift-click on the apartment door in debug mode.  The rent isn't extremely high as far as I can see.  If you edit the lot before you move any sims in, you can add items to the common area, making it unneccessary to add these items to the sim's apartment.  As for renting an apartment and not having much left over for more than the cheapest items, that sounds pretty much like real life to me.  A starting out sim who has just left home or college shouldn't be able to afford to buy a house or have expensive furniture.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Tsarina
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 August 31, 10:57:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To rent a furnished apartment, turn on debug mode and shift-click on the apartment door in debug mode.
Thank you! I was just about to ask how this could be done. I hate furnishing houses ATM.
The fact that the rent is higher is just a feature in my opinion. I played a house once, and in first generation they had more than 100.000 simoleons. I do not want this to happen again. Also, as Kyna said, it is way more realistic that they can't afford nice, expensive things.

Btw, is it normal that sims get more money when they start out? Some of my CAS sims had 35.000 simoleons instead of the regular 20.000 when I played them for the first time.

INEPT INTP
coralleane
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 August 31, 11:25:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Btw, is it normal that sims get more money when they start out? Some of my CAS sims had 35.000 simoleons instead of the regular 20.000 when I played them for the first time.

Yes, new with AL, something like - 20,000 for the first adult, 5,000 for every additional adult, 3,000 per teen, 2,000 per child, 1,000 per toddler, 500 per pet. 
Tsarina
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 August 31, 11:50:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, new with AL, something like - 20,000 for the first adult, 5,000 for every additional adult, 3,000 per teen, 2,000 per child, 1,000 per toddler, 500 per pet. 
How stupid! All the poverty challenges are around for a reason! Too much money. As if it wasn't bad enough already. I hope Pescado will come up with a noinstantrichsims-hack.

INEPT INTP
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 August 31, 12:11:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hope so too. It's ridiculous and makes the game far too easy. I could understand maybe a §3000 grant if the family has 4+ kids or younger in it (this seems realistic). Even then, I prefer how it was.

Anyway, I honestly don't think the apartments are that expensive. Someone worked out that it's actually much cheaper than buying a house, as you can buy nice things and leave aside a large amount of money for rent without even having to get a job. There are only four full weeks in the adult stage. It really isn't that expensive at all, and gives you a great choice: Rent a place, less control but more money for crap, or invest in a house/plot of land, full control, but little money left over? I'd like a hack to make furnished apartments MOAR expensive!
GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 August 31, 12:19:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you don't wish to run with Testing Cheats on, Carrigon at Sims2Workshop has a hack allowing all of the apt door options to show.
http://www.sims2workshop.com/viewtopic.php?t=2900

To be honest, with her hack and having all options showing once you've moved in is a tad irritating (at least, all options constantly show in Testing Cheats mode)
    And i also was surprised to see Carrigon hop on the AL bandwagon so quick.  Smiley

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

Myers-Briggs: - ISFP       Awesome NS2 -  DOOOO EEEET!

[23:56] Pescado: ATTACK, MY DUCKY MINIONS!
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 August 31, 12:53:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, apartments should make some good poverty challenges.  They are an excellent way to separate a Sim from money.  Much more efficient than buying a lot with a house on it because the hurt is refreshed every Monday.

Danger: Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard, 4th Level
Drakron
Anime Fapper
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 August 31, 14:58:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the new calculations was because ... it never made sense a family of 2 adults, 2 elders and 2 teens starting with the same funds as a "family" of 1, you might disagree but now the starting money makes sense.

As for the apartments ... well either the "rent furnished" not showing up is a bug or they could not setup 2 types of rents, a furnished and unfurnished one so they decided to pick the most sensible option since furnishing apartments is more for NPCs that move in and not playable families .
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 August 31, 15:46:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As for renting an apartment and not having much left over for more than the cheapest items, that sounds pretty much like real life to me.  A starting out sim who has just left home or college shouldn't be able to afford to buy a house or have expensive furniture.

The IKEA stuff pack finally makes sense... Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 August 31, 17:49:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you magic wand the lot before moving anyone in, it typically reduces rent to about 70% of the un-wanded version. Unwanded, my grey tower lot with attached playground, 2bed/2bath units was $2,226. Wanded, it was $1,644.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
abelle
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 August 31, 22:03:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the new calculations was because ... it never made sense a family of 2 adults, 2 elders and 2 teens starting with the same funds as a "family" of 1, you might disagree but now the starting money makes sense.

I think it does make sense to have a different amount of start-out money for a different amount of sims as well, but they could have just lowered the amount for a single sim, as 20,000 is really way too much for one sim to have any problems starting out. And if people donīt like it giving sims insane amount of money via cheating is very easy.

I would have liked a random amount for CAS sims, that way some families would have to start out poor and some have it easier. Would have been a bit more realistic.
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 August 31, 22:10:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want to move your sims from apartment to apartment, why not just put all their furniture into inventory?

This is what happens in real life! And you move and you have to redecorate the new place because your sofas clash awfully with the wallpaper  Cheesy

Time has gathered us here by coincidence; that's why what we say doesn't make any sense.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 August 31, 23:00:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What is this "wallpaper" you speak of? Here in Chicago, we get white walls and moulding that's been painted over a hundred times until it's a nearly unrecognizable lump.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2008 September 01, 00:03:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How stupid! All the poverty challenges are around for a reason! Too much money. As if it wasn't bad enough already. I hope Pescado will come up with a noinstantrichsims-hack.

Personally, I always thought it was stupid that multi-sim families got the same amount as single sims. This new system makes much more sense to me. To each her own.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
funnykid
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 September 01, 04:38:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Personally, I always thought it was stupid that multi-sim families got the same amount as single sims. This new system makes much more sense to me. To each her own.

I agree.
JennyJenny
Corpulent Cretin

ISTJ? Really?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 September 01, 06:08:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What is this "wallpaper" you speak of? Here in Chicago, we get white walls and moulding that's been painted over a hundred times until it's a nearly unrecognizable lump.

Tell me about it, in our last apartment even the light switch plates had been painted over. And over, and over, and over.

Inge:We judge by God's own criteria of correct punctuation and inspired fightliness.
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2008 September 01, 06:17:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's because slapping on a fresh coat of paint is easier than cleaning.   Tongue

squish
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2008 September 01, 09:16:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's because slapping on a fresh coat of paint is easier than cleaning.   Tongue
Urgh, that reminds me of the house I once moved into that had the bathtub painted over because the previous residents didn't want to clean it.  Lips sealed
coralleane
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 September 01, 11:20:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tell me about it, in our last apartment even the light switch plates had been painted over. And over, and over, and over.

We had one where the windows had been painted shut.
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 September 01, 13:21:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We had one where the windows had been painted shut.

My husband had an apartment where someone had painted the INSIDE of his fridge. He said that paint flaked off of that thing for years.

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
somnambulist
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 September 01, 16:47:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In two separate buildings I've had to have outlets replaced because the idiot painter painted over the sockets. The current apartment is better with it's original woodwork all intact.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: