More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 14:54:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Apartment Life Borkiness, or how i ended the world in 1 hour.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Apartment Life Borkiness, or how i ended the world in 1 hour.  (Read 467800 times)
Marquis
fway
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Re: Apartment Life Borkiness, or how i ended the world in 1 hour.
« Reply #175 on: 2008 August 29, 14:51:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well, you never know zazazu... EAxis is always borrowing changing the engines from previous expansion packs and making them worse better.

Ok, I am getting messages for my playable neighbors when I am not even playing them!  Angry

« Last Edit: 2008 August 29, 14:56:37 by fway » Logged

GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 2008 August 29, 15:46:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If i'm not mistaken, Stevie is the name of the person calling.  Either EAxis messed up on the phrasing, or it's something to do with the UK English we all are playing with.

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

Myers-Briggs: - ISFP       Awesome NS2 -  DOOOO EEEET!

[23:56] Pescado: ATTACK, MY DUCKY MINIONS!
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 2008 August 29, 15:58:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Out of interest, where is the popup dialog text stored?
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 2008 August 29, 16:34:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, yeah.  Being the very observant guy that I am, I just noticed this happy little button down in the corner of my screen.

Now the EAxian apartments can has ceilings.

Crash
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ WTF?

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 2008 August 29, 17:19:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anybody know what's supposed to happen with the good witch animation? I am not sure if this is a bug or not. I played the Cordial sisters,
and Samantha was turned into a good witch, and she got the sparkle animation. Then just suddenly when she got back form work one day, the animation is gone (skin overlay is still there). She had gone to work before without losing the animation, so I wonder what is going on?

Don't argue with an idiot. He will just drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Tsarina
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: 2008 August 29, 17:28:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Only the totally good witches have the sparkles. If she changed alignment (a little is enough), she could lose her sparkles.

INEPT INTP
Crash
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ WTF?

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 2008 August 29, 17:40:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Only the totally good witches have the sparkles. If she changed alignment (a little is enough), she could lose her sparkles.
Yes, I figured that, so I made her study 'the way of the light' until the good witch alignment bar was seemingly filled. But I don't know how this works, so I'll just make her study more then.

Don't argue with an idiot. He will just drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Capitaine Marie
Horrible Halfwit

Blonder Than You

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 2008 August 29, 19:04:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll probably be poked with pointy sticks, as I haven't removed all unsupported hacks (if you want me to be moar specific, I'll be happy to tell you); but I wondered about my ceilings.  I can only see them using the 45-degree angle button.  I don't have ACR, Inteen, etc.; I *have* updated all awesome hacks.  Could it be because I have integrated graphics, or could it be a bug?

Also (possibly unrelated to AL) I can only put a couple beards on my males in Body Shop.

Any insight would be muchly appreciated.  Grin

Update:  I tried removing all unsupported and/or non-awesome hacks and still cannot see ceilings in live mode.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: 2008 August 29, 19:29:33 by lovejoyriteia » Logged

I don't think I could ever stab someone.  I mean, let's be honest.  I can barely get the straw in the Capri Sun.
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 2008 August 29, 19:11:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I spent more time playing the game and I can definitely confirm that the sims' portraits do change constantly and not just when they change clothes. I turned free will off and had two sims just stand around for like 5 minutes and both of their portraits kept changing every few seconds.

The ceilings, I'm not too happy with. Besides them cutting off most curtain rods, borders and tops of certain windows, they tend to look really screwed up if there's a roof over them. I built a house and when I noticed that the roof alone didn't give ceilings to the second floor, I laid some floor tiles under where the roof goes. This is what the ceiling looked like on the second floor:

The first floor looked fine. I'm not sure if it was just because of the roof, but still, it shouldn't be looking like that. I ended up removing the floor tiles from under the roof and just placed the ceiling tiles from MTS2 instead. Actually, even though they're a pain to place them one tile at a time, they look much better than the ceilings that come with the game.

Mandapotpie
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 2008 August 29, 19:14:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has anyone tried out the butler yet?

I have a vanilla game folder and ordered the butler and after he showed up my sim went to work. I got the notice that the children shouldn't be left home alone. Then the social worker took them. According to the Prima guide the Butler will dismiss the nanny and is supposed to offer child care! 

ETA: This makes me wonder if the Neighbor child care will work as well. Has anyone had any problems with that?
« Last Edit: 2008 August 29, 19:40:14 by mandapotpie » Logged

Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow. If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: 2008 August 29, 19:33:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The thing about the ceilings is they're only the same as the bottomful floors that have been around.  Basically they are at the height the bottom of the floor tile thickness would be.  The wallpapers were always too tall technically for the rooms, but we didn't notice because we could "see through" the floor.   I guess we have to have our mouldings lower now, and then have a small strip of the main colour above, in case we want it to join up to the wall above in stair wells.   Some industious person needs to make overrides for the maxis papers that have been made wrong.  It's just textures to edit.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
virgali
Malodorous Moron

Do you see a midget Hitler?!

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 2008 August 29, 19:34:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

• I don't think anybody reported this here yet but I did ask about it in the podium. My Evil Witch won't make the "lamp thingy". She just keep on stirring the pot for hours and hours and doesn't make it.
  • Also the Butler doesn't clean the "petplates"

I have a question about the borked Physiology that Pescado reported. I was too tired to say something about it before but now I understand why my sims maxed out body so quickly. I'm not sure how many simhours it took but I'm pretty sure it wasn't more than 3. What I want to know is will she learn everything else superfast too? I'll go experiment with her sister. All I know is that she maxed out body just by jumping ropes before her sister with the knowledge aspiration perk gained one point in logic I believe from 8 to 9.
In that case I wouldn't mind keeping this borked! lol

Do you need someone to organize your sock drawer?
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: 2008 August 29, 19:42:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a vanilla game folder and ordered the butler and after he showed up my sim went to work. I got the notice that the children shouldn't be left home alone. Then the social worker took them. According to the Prima guide the Butler will dismiss the nanny and is supposed to offer child care! 

I have not tried the butler, because I do not own the game yet, but by all accounts he's just a servo that doesn't look like a servo and that can be hired, instead of built. I'm assuming that, like servos, the butlers become part of the 'family' the way servos do. If this didn't happen, then I'd say something's borked. Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm basically just talking out my arse.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Mandapotpie
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 2008 August 29, 19:43:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, my second problem, is that one of my sims is learning everything really quickly - like virgali said about body skill, but for all skills. The sim in question is the playable Tara DeBateaux, and I haven't found it with any other sims yet but I've only played with her and like 2 other playables, the rest were my own CAS/born in game sims. It's like she has the smart milk bug, but of course she starts as a teen so it can't be that.

Did you have her study Physiology?

From this thread page 2 Pes says

Here's a MEGABORK: The Physiology study option is apparently HUGELY borked. I was working on updating commskilling, when I noticed they added the +25 IQ "boost" for Physiology in an odd place: At the END of the code block, where it is deallocating the "situational" bonii like Asianland bonii and protein shake. It is then never removed. The exploit: If you learn "Physiology" and then study body, your sim will gain +25% IQ every study loop, and it will stick until the usual suspects reset it. This means you can easily get well over several-thousand-percent learn rate, and since it then affects generic IQ, it will apply to ALL skills. It is simply MASSIVELY, MASSIVELY borked.

So yes it affects all skills

I'm assuming that, like servos, the butlers become part of the 'family' the way servos do.

He didn't join my household and if he was part of the family I especially shouldn't have gotten the warning that they were home alone when the butler was there.

Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow. If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 2008 August 29, 19:47:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ETA: This makes me wonder if the Neighbor child care will work as well. Has anyone had any problems with that?
Paladin mentioned something about EA failing to modify the code that detects child care providers on the lot. As a result, the game thinks there are no adults supervising the children on the lot.

The Butler is an NPC and very similar to Alfred in TS1. He doesn't join your family and works a certain amount of hours everyday.
IAmTheRad
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 2008 August 29, 19:49:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, there is a bug with witches losing their sparklies. I have an evil evil witch, with the max blackness they can get, and the sparklies sometimes vanish. I don't even use neutral spells on that sim anymore and that even includes the 'neutral' teleportation spell. What was EAxis thinking making neutral spells make you go closer to neutral alignment? They're the spells that you're most likely to use. Even if you have a spectral cat, calling it out is a NEUTRAL spell, and your evil witch can go closer to neutral witchiness (or good witch)

It's just too stupid to contemplate. I see the neutral spells like utility spells, NOT like 'oh, I'd lose my evil spells if I use them'.

If I wanted to be a neutral sim, I'd study the ways of grey. Not the ways of darkness (or the ways of good).

Seems quality assurance doesn't mean anything to EAxis anymore when it comes to The Sims.

Thank god that Spore isn't in the Sims category. It's been under the eyes of Will Wright all this time, while The Sims lost Will Wright working on it after Livin' Large (he was only a consultant basically after that)
Mandapotpie
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 2008 August 29, 19:53:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Paladin mentioned something about EA failing to modify the code that detects child care providers on the lot. As a result, the game thinks there are no adults supervising the children on the lot.

Sorry! I thought I searched here thouroughly to make sure no one else had mentioned it.

Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 2008 August 29, 20:15:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry! I thought I searched here thouroughly to make sure no one else had mentioned it.
He said it on the BBS. I should have mentioned that!
Mandapotpie
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 2008 August 29, 20:40:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

He said it on the BBS. I should have mentioned that!

Ahh! That explains it. I never go there because it annoys me and is non-awesome.

virgali
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 2008 August 29, 20:48:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another thing I keep on forgetting to mention is that in the tooltip/library thing for the Dutch version it shows the wrong keys to move things up and down the walls. It shows "^" for up and ":" for down. It says more stuff but I assumed it's all wrong and haven't tried them since.

I honestly do not mind that Physiology thing being borked! Grin

Katuchan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: 2008 August 29, 20:51:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's the lulz worthy movie:
HERE

Her name is Alicia Wheeler I think she came with this EP because I've never seen her in the hood before. She was a friend my Seth (Warton) brought home.

That's happened to me before, I aged up a child townie to an adult to see what she'd look like. Then she came home on the schoolbus with my sim's kid, and was walking like that. It was most excellent.

Update:  I tried removing all unsupported and/or non-awesome hacks and still cannot see ceilings in live mode.  Roll Eyes
I believe you have to be in cameraman mode to see ceilings. Or, at the very least, have your camera set so that it's below the ceiling line. I haven't tested that second theory, though.

I haven't really run into any of my own bugs, except for one minor issue. I moved a CAS family (3 non related adults) into the apartment building with the DeBeauwhatevers in it. Saved, exited to neighborhood, and then moved a Maxis bin family into the same building. As soon as they moved in, they got a pop-up asking them to click a door to rent that apartment. My CAS family never got that pop-up.

Anyway, I'm going to stay away from apartments themselves for a while until everything's fixed. Many thanks and respect to Pescado and everyone else who goes around cleaning up afteer EAxis.
Marquis
fway
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 2008 August 29, 21:09:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looks as if tenants (who aren't being played) have an OCD with the hobby magazines if left out.

Click

ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 2008 August 29, 21:47:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are neighbors in other apartments in the same building supposed to be able to just walk in your apartment all the time? Because if it's intended, it's really annoying, especially in small apartments. It gets really crowded. I know you can lock them out, but I don't want everyone locked out all the time, I just want them to knock and wait to be asked in before they barge in and make themselves comfortable. They also seem to think it's ok to just help themselves to my families' newspapers.
Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 2008 August 29, 21:50:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe you have to be in cameraman mode to see ceilings. Or, at the very least, have your camera set so that it's below the ceiling line. I haven't tested that second theory, though.

Or maybe you didn't toggle the ceiling button? I missed it at first, too. TrepieDark Trepie posted a picture further up this thread.

You have your way with him, and you'll never get to destroy the world; and I don't fancy spending the next six months trying to get librarian out of the carpet.
virgali
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 2008 August 29, 22:19:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did toggle it... I have my d'oh moments but that's just too much! Grin I didn't see them in live mode so I figured maybe green is not good so I toggled them off. I tested this and realised that green is on so I toggled them again and tested the zoom thing it works and also the new xeinling camera angle it works! I just don't see them in live mode. I tried with roofs on and roofs off with walls up, walls down...

I tried everything if I wanna see them I have to zoom in at a particular angle or I don't. Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: