More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 07:40:10

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Arrred games?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Arrred games?  (Read 41272 times)
titanicbrittanic
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
Arrred games?
« on: 2008 August 16, 17:49:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here is an exceedingly "dumb ass" type of question... what does it mean to have an arrred game? And if it is what I think it is, where can I find them? Any help greatly appreciated XD
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
Re: Arrred games?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 August 16, 18:41:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ARRRR, matey!  An arr'd game is pirated.  Download µTorrent and find any game you want at www.thepiratebay.org.  Installation instructions are in the FAQ:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,7437.msg208008.html#msg208008

titanicbrittanic
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2008 August 16, 18:52:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what I thought they were but wanted to be sure XD

Yet another dumb newb question... what does it mean by "legally backed up" in the FAQ? As in truly is legal for us to be using this or...? Tongue Just want to know what I'm getting myself into
« Last Edit: 2008 August 16, 20:12:35 by titanicbrittanic » Logged
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 August 16, 20:58:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is, technically, illegal to pirate a game .iso you have not paid for. However, EA sucks rocks.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
titanicbrittanic
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2008 August 16, 23:26:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mkay... let me rephrase that LOL... what is the likeliness of getting caught in using this 'legal backup'? XD

Thanx for the help, btw. I love this site. What got my hooked was the Sim Store thread, so thanx for the tight knit community and whatnot
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 August 16, 23:31:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Make sure you have a good firewall, and never, ever allow anything you've pirated to connect to the internet.  Do not expect the game company to provide you with technical support.  Also, make sure you turn on the encryption protocols to "forced" in the preferences section of µTorrent, and you should be fine.  Have fun!

keirra
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 August 17, 06:53:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BastDawn, why should we turn on the encryption protocols to "forced"? I'm curious. I did it, because I trust what you say. It's been disabled in the past when I've downloaded stuff. I bet that's not a good thing.
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2008 August 17, 07:21:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's the most paranoid response, and thus the best.  It also makes it difficult for your ISP to figure out what you are doing.  Your privacy is too important to allow anything less.

NothingToSee
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 August 17, 09:56:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the tip. I had mine set to 'enabled', but if you say 'forced' is better, then forced it shall be.

Not that I download much in the way of torrented games, but whatever.  Wink
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 August 17, 17:44:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's an option in preferences called 'randomise port on each startup' - would someone be kind enough to explain that (this stuff I am not savvy about)?  Is it good to use that randomise option? 

Inteen for AL, yay!
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 August 17, 18:03:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, if you have an ISP that's smart enough to slow traffic on the standard torrent ports.  However, you have to be sure your router has Upnp enabled, so it'll know to pass torrent traffic through to the new port.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
TimeStop
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 August 17, 21:54:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, make sure you turn on the encryption protocols to "forced" in the preferences section of µTorrent, and you should be fine.

Right next to that drop-box is a check box that says "allow incoming legacy connections". Should we uncheck this box since we are being as paranoid as possible?
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2008 August 17, 21:55:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did, and my torrents didn't slow.  So yes, uncheck it.

TimeStop
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 August 17, 22:09:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you, and while I'm being paranoid but not doing anything, is the firewall that comes with windows (xp on my desktop) good in your opinion?
somnambulist
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 August 18, 01:48:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BastDawn, why should we turn on the encryption protocols to "forced"? I'm curious. I did it, because I trust what you say. It's been disabled in the past when I've downloaded stuff. I bet that's not a good thing.

The encryption protocols can also help alleviate traffic shaping imposed by some ISPs (here's looking at you, Comcast...). Depending on your ISP and setup, Encryption == More Quicker.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 August 18, 08:09:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, if you have an ISP that's smart enough to slow traffic on the standard torrent ports.  However, you have to be sure your router has Upnp enabled, so it'll know to pass torrent traffic through to the new port.

I just picked a random port for each of my PCs, that seems to work fine. I don't have Upnp enabled. I read somewhere having Upnp enabled was not such a good thing, but I can't remember why.  Cheesy

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 August 18, 10:27:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A Flash script can easily hijack your router, if you have UPnP enabled.

http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/flash-upnp-attack-faq/
http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205800419

Prescription: Turn off UPnP on your router. Disabling Flash is also a good policy; if you use Firefox, install the FlashBlock extension, or other equivalent.
Judecat
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 August 18, 10:51:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you, and while I'm being paranoid but not doing anything, is the firewall that comes with windows (xp on my desktop) good in your opinion?

From the little I know the Windows firewall will block some incomeing stuff,  but it does not block out going stuff -- so it allows things to "phone home".
Ryslin
Dimwitted Dunce

I/E NF P/J- Yah , what about it?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 August 18, 10:58:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Comodo Firewall is nice.. bit complicated and can easily lead to you leaving yourself open if you let it default. With it set to paranoid it can be annoying in a different way because you cannot open a single program without it questioning if that is what you ment to do.

Zone Alarm is a old standby if you are looking for basic protection.
Both of the above are free and easily found by a Google search.

I would strongly recommend NOT getting anything with the name Norton on it.

With windows firewall alone you have put on a light coat to go out in zero degree weather...

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 August 18, 13:44:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Prescription: Turn off UPnP on your router.

Unfortunately, that's not always an option -- my DirecTV HD DVR connects to the computers to play audio and video files, but it fails to function if UPnP is turned off in the router. (Or more specifically, the video/audio sharing on the PCs fails if UPnP isn't enabled.)

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 August 18, 14:23:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All I have to add to this is that Comodo, once trained, is highly efficient and only asks for input with installers. I have not had a single piece of malware (okay, to be fair, I've only had two during my usage of PCs, and one of them came from BastDawn's Sims1 site back in the day  Cheesy) since I have used it. Norton did let a trojan slip through and it was suck suck suckety suck. Norton should be boycotted like EA. Do not buy Norton suck.
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 August 18, 14:42:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Prescription: Turn off UPnP on your router.

Unfortunately, that's not always an option -- my DirecTV HD DVR connects to the computers to play audio and video files, but it fails to function if UPnP is turned off in the router. (Or more specifically, the video/audio sharing on the PCs fails if UPnP isn't enabled.)

Since the attacks are delivered through scripts in Flash, it's a good practice to whitelist your script-enabled domains. Again, either FlashBlock or NoScript won't display Flash objects in non-whitelisted sites.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 August 18, 15:26:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use McAffee, which comes included with Comcast Internet (though they aren't very public about it). Anti-virus is fine, though I really don't get to test it. I run scans with McAffee, Panda Active Scan, Ewido, and AdAware monthly and haven't gotten anything but cookies come up since I had Vundo almost two years ago. The firewall is great. I have it at Tight security and it is definitely blocking things and very paranoid about changes in Internet software (like MMORPGs). I wouldn't pay for it if I wasn't already, though.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2008 August 18, 22:20:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have not had a single piece of malware (okay, to be fair, I've only had two during my usage of PCs, and one of them came from BastDawn's Sims1 site back in the day  Cheesy)

Gah!  I'm so sorry.  My AngelFire site is teh suck.   Angry   I made myself a shiny new site over the weekend; I would have done it much sooner had I known.

Bugger
Lipless Loser

off on another strange Bugger tangent...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 August 21, 05:54:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sucks for me.  I don't post much here, for I prefer to watch the roastings from afar.  But I was actually approaching the idea of posting nearly the same question: where does a novice go to brush up their pirate-y skills and stop supporting EAxis?  I finally caved today and got FT, needing to see what exactly I am missing out on.  Damn it all, and was hoping to find a, er, cheaper way to play when AL comes out.

I have Norton, and also a penchant for being attacked by viruses each time I make an attemp at getting my hot little hands on an arrred game.  Suppose I will need to change out my anti virus for something better?   Angry

<Dark_Trepie> Booty's go OHHH!. Pirate Booty's go ARRR!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: