More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 11:54:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Pet "Joining Household" Does't Fulfill "Get a Pet" Want
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Pet "Joining Household" Does't Fulfill "Get a Pet" Want  (Read 6828 times)
geekily
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Pet "Joining Household" Does't Fulfill "Get a Pet" Want
« on: 2008 August 14, 17:46:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi there!
One of my little Sims wanted to get a pet, but I wasn't too thrilled with anything the adoption service had to offer. Instead, I went out to CAS and made a cat to my liking, then had him join the household. However, this never fulfilled her desire to get a pet, and I don't see why it shouldn't. Is there any way around this, at least for future pets I may make?

Thanks so much!
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
Re: Pet "Joining Household" Does't Fulfill "Get a Pet" Want
« Reply #1 on: 2008 August 14, 18:50:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Turn the testing cheats on, and shift-click on the want to fulfill it.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 August 14, 20:56:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure about that, but you could try to give the cat up for adoption and then adopt it back again.

Wouldn't that just reroll the want, but not fulfill it as in "get aspiration points for it"?

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

geekily
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 August 14, 21:18:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I forgot to lock that want, so it's gone now, but I'll play around with both of your suggestions the next time it comes up. Thanks so much!
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2008 August 14, 22:44:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure about that, but you could try to give the cat up for adoption and then adopt it back again.

Wouldn't that just reroll the want, but not fulfill it as in "get aspiration points for it"?

You get the points using this method.  Wink

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 August 15, 02:50:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shift-clicking on the wants is fine if what you're after is the points.  It does not give sims the memory of doing something (if there is a memory attached to the want) which may result in the want coming back.  For example, if Ronnie Sim wants to get married, and I shift-click on the want, he gets his points and goes platinum for a bit, but he still does not get the memory (which comes from actually doing the action), so tomorrow he may roll that want again.

If you shift-click on "get a pet" wants, that will give the little sim his points, but he still may think that he really wants to get a pet.

Tribulatio proxima est
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2008 August 15, 06:42:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shift-clicking on the wants is fine if what you're after is the points.  It does not give sims the memory of doing something (if there is a memory attached to the want) which may result in the want coming back.  For example, if Ronnie Sim wants to get married, and I shift-click on the want, he gets his points and goes platinum for a bit, but he still does not get the memory (which comes from actually doing the action), so tomorrow he may roll that want again.

If you shift-click on "get a pet" wants, that will give the little sim his points, but he still may think that he really wants to get a pet.

I've had sims who have re-rolled that want to get a pet, even though they have adopted or bought a pet from the store. I am pretty sure it is a re-ocurring want.

dream_operator
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 August 15, 06:57:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my experience adopting a stray also won't satisfy the "get a pet" want.  Adopting a pet by phone or buying one at a pet store are the only ways I have seen that want satisfied in my game (I haven't tried fufilling it by having my pets have puppies or kittens yet).  I'm really disappointed that the adopting a stray interaction isn't counted because it takes more work than just buying a pet and sometimes my sims don't have enough money for a pet, but still get the want.

There is no meaning in our world for us who live there. No meaning at all. -Ulquiorra
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 August 15, 08:01:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could always add the memory with SimPE.  I'm an inveterate fiddler with the memory editor.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 August 15, 09:49:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You get the points using this method.  Wink

You do? Oh no - the temptation! Cheesy

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 August 15, 10:03:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not all wants are tied to memories. The marriage want, for instance, is not: Sims can want this if they are not MARRIED. If you get them married, they'll be unable to want that anymore, because the criteria for doing so has been invalidated. "First" somethings are generally keyed to memories to indicate been-there-done-that, but non-first-somethings generally are not. In this case, the "Want A Pet" want is linked to not having a pet. Having added a pet, you have invalidated the conditions for that memory and thus it will not reappear.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2008 August 15, 11:57:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does it not? I am sure I have seen it. I know I have seen 'want to adopt a kitten or puppy' several times, even when there are kittens and puppies in the house already.

Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 August 15, 14:35:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does it not? I am sure I have seen it. I know I have seen 'want to adopt a kitten or puppy' several times, even when there are kittens and puppies in the house already.

I thought I had, too.  Huh  Or is that the wfsanity talking?

You have your way with him, and you'll never get to destroy the world; and I don't fancy spending the next six months trying to get librarian out of the carpet.
seven
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 August 16, 03:40:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've seen "adopt a puppy", "adopt a kitten", and "adopt a puppy or kitten" wants all at the same time. They adopt a puppy so that one is satisfied, but they still have the "adopt a kitten" want. "Adopt a puppy" hasn't rolled up again, though.

It bugs me too, that by adding a CAS pet these wants aren't satisfied.

Just accept that it is smarter than you, and let it do its thing.   ~guess who
Crash
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ WTF?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 August 16, 17:08:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When a want doesn't fulfilled for me, I do whatever they want to do again, but right before I do it, I unlock the want. That has worked for me so far.

Don't argue with an idiot. He will just drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: