More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 21:16:57

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Hack for canceling out of automated prepare food from fridge?
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Hack for canceling out of automated prepare food from fridge?  (Read 53353 times)
MrMugg
Corpulent Cretin

Wanna c a magik trik?

View Profile
Hack for canceling out of automated prepare food from fridge?
« on: 2008 July 27, 19:51:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In Sims 1, if your sim went to the fridge you could cancel out of the action before the food was pulled out and not lose anything.

In Sims 2, however, if you cancel out of the transaction, they place the unprepared food on the table.  Are there any "awesome" hacks that would allow you to cancel out of a sim getting food on their own when you don't want them to?

Examples of why this would be useful.  Suppose your sim decides to go to the fridge to prepare food.  You were busy checking on another sim, and realized the hungry sim just opened the fridge door.  You would rather cancel out of that action and tell that sim to create a group meal instead.
talysman
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Hack for canceling out of automated prepare food from fridge?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 July 27, 20:13:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I bet Pescado won't be interested in creating a hack like that, since it encourages laziness on the part of players.

However, I think a more generally useful hack would be one that allowed unprepared food to be placed back in the fridge. Consider the case where an *uncontrolled* sim, like a nanny, or any sim on a community lot with a fridge and counterspace, starts to prepare food and then abandons it. If it's a home lot and you have OFB or higher, you can either make the kitchen lockable or build a separate lockable pantry, but this might not be an option under some playstyles or challenge rules (Email, for example.) Replacing unprepped food in a fridge fixes a problem caused by both playables and unplayables, so it seems like a better solution.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 July 27, 20:15:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Such a hack doesn't appear to be possible, or I'd have done it by now. The problem is that the entire animation is canned and by the time you could insert a breakpoint, the damage has already been done. I recommend using APO to deny autonomous kitchen access!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
knightguy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 July 28, 05:15:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you could get Simlogicals...

NO AUTONOMY FRIDGES PATCH

This global patch should affect all Maxis fridges and most custom fridges.

It stops Sims making meals or snacking unless either you tell them to, or their hunger goes below -70 (so that you don't accidentally starve them to death).   Getting bottles for babies and toddlers is unaffected.

then you wouldnt have to worry about them cooking/making any food till you tell them too unless their hunger goes below -70

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Firefly
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 July 28, 15:38:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

CSI for the Sims 2 http://www.geocities.com/papillonwells/Gaming/pwggame2b3c.html, and you can have total control of you sims eating habits with their No Autonomous Refrigerators. Nanny's and Servo's will autonomously use this fridge. Parents will also get bottles for toddlers if the toddler asks. Sims will not prepare food so they can starve to death unless you dictate you want them to use the refrigerator.
imyourboy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 July 28, 16:16:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ever since I installed Freetime my Sims won't eat on their own anyway.  I have to tell them to eat and I haven't downloaded any non automomous hacks either.  Just happened when I installed Freetime.
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 July 28, 17:09:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FT messed with self-feeding in a lot of people's games; other players have reported no problems. In my game, it was an issue for some sims but not for others. Sadly, those who were failing to feed themselves seemed to know the moment I'd decided just to let them stave to death and promptly began eating when necessary. Spoilsports.

I've used Inge's no autonomous fridges, which worked exactly as advertised for me. Currently I'm using Dizzy's "leftovers" array, which can be found among his various "dumps" at Laden Swallow.

Convenient (and sensible, damnit) as it would be simply to return unprepared food to the fridge, since Seasons I've taken to allowing them to proceed with cooking and then instructing them to cram the finished meal back into the fridge for later if I don't want them to eat yet or if I want them to cook something else instead.

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 July 28, 17:54:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have issues with sims deciding to autonomously make a group meal and not serve it or eat it. They just stand there looking at it for an hour. It's like they were on autopilot and come to once they've set the plate down, then can't figure out what they were doing. If no one is hungry, I have them put it in the fridge for later, but generally someone is hungry in my survival lot. Twelve sims, two of whom are pregnant, eating only fish 24/7. Vanessa needs to grow her ass up and old Beatriz needs to kick it already and I need to finish my building so I can move them to better accommodations. Can't do that while sims are pregnant or doddering. That's one large bridge they have to cross.

For some reason, Teardrop Isle sims don't do this nearly as much, or they'll just make a single meal.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 July 28, 18:41:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FT messed with self-feeding in a lot of people's games; other players have reported no problems.

I've seen a lot more instances of sims going off to 'stuff face' since FT. No problems with regular foods, but I haven't seen so much face stuffing in ages, maybe ever.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 July 28, 19:14:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FT messed with self-feeding in a lot of people's games; other players have reported no problems.
I've seen a lot more instances of sims going off to 'stuff face' since FT. No problems with regular foods, but I haven't seen so much face stuffing in ages, maybe ever.

Jeez, yes. It's like something in the FT coding disconnected the switch that tells them they're getting hungry until they need to 'stuff face' in a desperate attempt not to die. The fridge at my Asylum Challenge household was stacked 4-deep with a queue of would-be face-stuffers all on the verge of collapse. And this was with a group meal of Mac 'n' Cheese sitting right there on the fricking counter next to them! Idiots! Then suddenly - I have no idea what changed, other than my sudden and swift resolution to allow the next asshat stupid enough to pull this stunt to die where he stood - the idiocy just... stopped.

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 July 28, 19:40:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to agree with jsalemi - there's never been that much face stuffing before FT.  I was so annoyed yesterday when I played a "hands off" lot, that I punished every face-stuffer by pulling his hunger bar completely down (which might not be exactly "hands off", but it's no challenge lot anyway). Too bad they don't die with only one motive buttomed out. Funny enough, the nonsense stopped completely after that, at least for the current residents. The next sim to stuff face was one added to the household later. This makes me wonder if sims can actually learn by punishment. Okay, wishful thinking here.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

imyourboy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 July 28, 20:00:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine were stuffing face too but wouldn't prepare a meal so I added a hack to stop face stuffing.  I'm wondering if that stopped them from eating altogether or if you have to let one of them bottom out to fix it.
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 July 28, 20:18:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine were stuffing face too but wouldn't prepare a meal so I added a hack to stop face stuffing.  I'm wondering if that stopped them from eating altogether or if you have to let one of them bottom out to fix it.

I have the impression that the tolerance regarding hunger has, well, "improved" since FT. When left to their own devices, most of my sims now only cook when they're really hungry (i.e. nearly down to desperation level), and even then only when they're not distracted by something. I've had several sims doing the Mata Hari dance of starvation but still rather chat, badmouth, share hobby tips or just lounge instead of getting something to eat.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 July 29, 02:17:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When left to their own devices, most of my sims now only cook when they're really hungry (i.e. nearly down to desperation level), and even then only when they're not distracted by something.

Not with my sims. Hunger bar is still 3/4 full, and they're off to make lobster thermidor! I would have lots of fat sims, were it not for Dizzy's leftover mods and Pescado's noeatcrap. I still have to monitor the lazy sims for overeating, though.

You have your way with him, and you'll never get to destroy the world; and I don't fancy spending the next six months trying to get librarian out of the carpet.
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 July 29, 07:35:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not with my sims. Hunger bar is still 3/4 full, and they're off to make lobster thermidor! I would have lots of fat sims, were it not for Dizzy's leftover mods and Pescado's noeatcrap. I still have to monitor the lazy sims for overeating, though.
Well, none of my sims have 10 cooking points so far, so perhaps their behaviour will change as soon as ZOMG Lobster Thermidor!!1 is available to them. As for lazy sims - I definitively prefer them to be fat, so I can distinguish them from active ones without having to call them over. Makes it easier to weed them out.

Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 July 29, 13:12:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, none of my sims have 10 cooking points so far, so perhaps their behaviour will change as soon as ZOMG Lobster Thermidor!!1 is available to them. As for lazy sims - I definitively prefer them to be fat, so I can distinguish them from active ones without having to call them over. Makes it easier to weed them out.

Even the ones not maxed in cooking will do this though, for other meals. However, I like your thinking about the lazy ones.

You have your way with him, and you'll never get to destroy the world; and I don't fancy spending the next six months trying to get librarian out of the carpet.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008 July 29, 13:16:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If any of my sims prepare food without me noticing (unlikely) then I get them to finish cooking, cancel out the 'eat' action and store in inventory.

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 July 29, 13:50:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup - store in inventory or "put away leftovers" is my method.  Personally, I hate sims preparing one serving, and my sims are all so damn selfish that they don't appear to autonomously "serve dinner" even if they have 3 starving kids home from school and doing the "I needz fudz nao!" whine.  It's such a waste of time. 

My IRL mother always cooked a cauldron of something at least once a week and stored the leftovers.  Consequently, after a while, she had pots of stuff in the freezer and we could pretty much live on that without cooking any new food (at dinner time) more than once or twice a week.  I am trying to follow the same strategy with my sims, although, considering the cooking skills level of most of my MATY sims at present, they don't get much variety - what they get is lots and lots and lots of spaghetti.

Tribulatio proxima est
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 July 29, 15:30:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If any of my sims prepare food without me noticing (unlikely) then I get them to finish cooking, cancel out the 'eat' action and store in inventory.

I did that before Seasons and before I had dizzy's leftover hack. Now, the sims I actually play (instead of just watching and P&Ling) are directed to cook a group meal once in a while and otherwise live off leftovers. Preferably fish because it doesn't cost anything and lasts forever when it's prepared with expensive equipment. The only thing that bothers me is that sims need to get the fish out of the fridge even if it's in their inventory.

I am trying to follow the same strategy with my sims, although, considering the cooking skills level of most of my MATY sims at present, they don't get much variety - what they get is lots and lots and lots of spaghetti.
There's nothing wrong with living off spaghetti only Grin

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 July 29, 17:19:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am trying to follow the same strategy with my sims, although, considering the cooking skills level of most of my MATY sims at present, they don't get much variety - what they get is lots and lots and lots of spaghetti.
There's nothing wrong with living off spaghetti only Grin

Millions of Italian-Americans can't be wrong about doing just that. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
imyourboy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 July 29, 23:01:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now its gotten worse.  I wouldn't tell them to cook so they got so hungry they go eat out of the trash instead of cook.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2008 July 30, 06:06:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now its gotten worse.  I wouldn't tell them to cook so they got so hungry they go eat out of the trash instead of cook.

Yeah, but that's funny Cheesy

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 July 30, 11:43:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For those of you who just absolutely insist on letting your sims run around on their own, the upcoming FOOD EATS YOU will resolve all of your food-related annoyances. Much like Bathroom Uses You, it will detect when a sim is trying to eat, and then redirect this request to a properly macro-calculated food routine. No more Lobster Thermidor or Stuff-Face.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2008 July 30, 11:50:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sounds great.

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 July 30, 13:30:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For those of you who just absolutely insist on letting your sims run around on their own, the upcoming FOOD EATS YOU will resolve all of your food-related annoyances. Much like Bathroom Uses You, it will detect when a sim is trying to eat, and then redirect this request to a properly macro-calculated food routine. No more Lobster Thermidor or Stuff-Face.

Will it handle nannies and their habit of going into the kitchen an hour after they arrive?  I'm sick of them starting to cook something then either leaving half-prepared food on every available counter or putting something on the stove and then walking away.

Yes,  I can use APO to deny disruptive and keep them out of the kitchen, but that leaves the problem of the nanny being unable to get bottles for babies or toddlers.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: