More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 23:55:50

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Folders are "invisible"
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Folders are "invisible"  (Read 6289 times)
Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Folders are "invisible"
« on: 2008 July 19, 07:35:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey guys,

Somehow, someway, my folders that I have spent the last 3 weeks compiling and organizing for my Downloads folder have "disappeared". One day there, next day gone. The weird thing is that when I started the arduous task of replacing them, I get a pop-up stating that the file I am trying to add to the downloads folder already has a file of that name.

For instance, my MATY folder is gone, but when I try to add a new MATY folder, I get the pop-up. I would guess that at least 10 folders are missing/invisible. I have searched the enitre? computer looking for wanderlust files to no avail.

Any suggestions other than starting all over? I am getting ready to fire up the game to see if those files are indeed there, but not there, so to speak. This is a new one for me.

Pointing and laughing may now ensue. Tongue

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?<br />Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
unregister
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Folders are "invisible"
« Reply #1 on: 2008 July 19, 09:15:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could you have made those folders "hidden" instead of "read only"? There is a way to allow hidden folders to be seen. Just can't remember what I did to make hidden folders visible as I've only used it once and left it that way from years back.
Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 July 19, 10:20:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you for replying.  Smiley

No, I did the usual unzip and drop into individual folders, aka objects, mods, etc. I just returned from checking out the game and although I get the notice that the file I am adding is already there, it is fact, is not. None of my MATY items are there and the buy/build objects are very thinned down.

Why it tells me they are there, when in fact I now know they are not, is a mystery. It looks like I will have to start from scratch. Bullocks!  Embarrassed

eta: Clean installer and HCDU will not run due to "problems" and must close. I am thinking I may have to start anew. I know I have SecuRom as well as the FT 3 patch, so maybe that is the issue?

After a long year or so of not being able to play, much less type a complete sentence, due to mitigating circumstances, this is a real pain in the neck. I so looked forward to playing again. Undecided
« Last Edit: 2008 July 19, 12:32:15 by MsMaria » Logged

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?<br />Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
BattyCoda
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 July 19, 14:35:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MsMaria,

Have you perhaps logged into a non-administrator account while doing this?

Other than that, this smacks of something badly corrupted.

I think I would do some cruising on the Windows help sites.

Sorry, that's all I have.

morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 July 19, 19:39:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried restarting the computer during this time? Have you tried to look for them in safe mode?

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 July 19, 20:06:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or get a DOS prompt, select your drive and directory and type "dir/w" that might show you whether you have the files and windoze is just not reading them.

You need to know your DOS commands for this, of course.

Tribulatio proxima est
Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 July 19, 21:29:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could you have made those folders "hidden" instead of "read only"? There is a way to allow hidden folders to be seen. Just can't remember what I did to make hidden folders visible as I've only used it once and left it that way from years back.

In windoze explorer, tools> folder options> view tab: check 'show hidden files and folders'. You should then be able to remove the hidden file status on them, if that is the issue.
Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 July 20, 05:37:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure how to use safe mode, it's been quite some time since I've done it and I had a tech on the line to guide me through. I'll try the hidden file method, although when I did a search earlier, I did check off to include all hidden files and folders. Won't hurt to try anyway. Morrigant, I did restart the computer, yes. I even tried Systems Restore.

Battycoda, I tend to agree. I did have a Trojan a few days ago, but was able to get rid of it. I doubt the two issues are connected. But anything's possible.

morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 July 20, 20:52:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wonder if there is anything causing this, it's like the 3-4th time I've heard of this happening in the last month. Of course at least two of those had a high possibility of being human error.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 July 22, 07:43:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Idon't know, but it is highly frustrating. This will be the third time in a week I've have to come back to get MATY files for the game. They keep "poofing". That goes for any folder past the letter 'A'. All gone.  Embarrassed
As long as I leave them on the desk top they are fine, drop them into my DL folder and they are MIA. My DL folder is the Bermuda Triangle. Blerg.

I guess I will break down and uninstall/re-install, just to say I tried it.  Undecided

EDIT Less than 5 minutes ago, after making this post, I d/l the FT version of MATY mods to my desktop, renamed it Downloads MATY and dropped it in my DL folder in the game. I immediately opened the DL folder and guess what? MATY folder is not there. This is beyond weird. Angry

EDIT 2 I decided to add a new MATY folder to my DL's. This time I named it 'A Maty Mod App'. Dumb name but the key here was to make sure it started with an 'A'. Just experimenting. Tongue The folder lives! It is alive, visible and well in my DL folder. What to make of that? Haven't a clue.  Tongue

Any ideas?  Cheesy
« Last Edit: 2008 July 22, 10:57:39 by MsMaria » Logged

Angie
Corpulent Cretin

ISTP - "Engineer"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 July 22, 11:35:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi Maria,

I had something really similar happen to me last year.  Everything in my Downloads folder that started with the letters S through Z disappeared.  When I tried to replace them, the new files disappeared, too!  It's such a weird problem and I totally understand your frustration.  Anyway, this is what I did to work around it.

When I made all of the hidden files visible (using advice similar to Simsample's), it turned out there were some weird corrupted quasi-files hiding in my folder.  I deleted those using a tool called Unlocker (you can download it for free).  Then I created a new Downloads folder and cut and pasted all of my good files into the new folder.  I deleted the old Downloads folder with Unlocker, too.  Afterwards, I had to redownload everything with a filename starting with S or higher, but almost everything else was okay!

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 July 23, 08:38:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Angie, thank you so much for sharing. I will look for the Unlocker and try it. I'm game for anything at this point. I haven't had time to deal with it today, but hopefully I can deal with it tomorrow. If I have to name all of my folders something beginning with 'A', then that's what I'll do, but the problem has to be much deeper than that.

Thank you again for your input.  Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: