More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 18:57:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Visa, Freetime and Sims IKEA
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Visa, Freetime and Sims IKEA  (Read 7744 times)
jungant
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Visa, Freetime and Sims IKEA
« on: 2008 July 15, 09:36:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hello? Could anyone help me with this problem?

I recently bought Freetime expansion pack. I installed and played the game for a while. Then, I exited the game.
So far, there weren't any problems.
When I tried to restart the game, my laptop started to make this clicking sound and was unable to read the CD.
If I click Freetime icon, it would say 'there is no disk in CD-rom.'
First, I thought there might be a problem with my CD drive. So, I tried running few of my previous expansion packs. They worked fine.
Then, I thought that the CD might have been scratched. So, I tried running Freetime with my sister's computer. It ran without any problems.
I was pretty sure my laptop meets all the system requirement since I did play Freetime for a while and was able to play all the other expansion packs without problems.
But, I checked anyway by running DirectX Diagnostic Tool. I met all the system requrements except that I had DirectX 10 instead of DirectX 9.
I don't know if that's problematic.

Then, today I got Sims IKEA as a gift.
I tried to install it, and now I have the same problem.
My laptop made some cliking noises and was unable to recognize the fact that there is a CD in the laptop.

It looks like the expansion/item packs that are newer than Bon Voyage don't seem to work.
I sent questions to EA people, but all they told me was to terminate background tasks and emply temp folder. I tried them and they didn't work.
I checked EA website and followed their instructions on updating driver. When I started installation, a message saying 'The driver being installed is not validated for this computer' popped up. I tried updating driver through Windows Update, and it said my driver is already upto date.

I'm so frustrated because even EA people don't seem to have answers for this problem.  Did anybody encounter similar problems?

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Visa, Freetime and Sims IKEA
« Reply #1 on: 2008 July 15, 10:31:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are they CDs or DVDs?
If it's a combo drive it's perfectly possible for one laser to be broken, so that it reads CDs but not DVDs or vice versa.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2008 July 15, 10:34:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It looks like the expansion/item packs that are newer than Bon Voyage don't seem to work.

This strongly suggests that your system was compromised by Securom, which was introduced in BV.
I'd remove Securom first, before I try anything else.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 July 15, 10:40:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You seem to be a victim of SecuROM. Have you tried a noCD?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jungant
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 July 15, 16:46:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you all for the suggestions.

First, yes. My drive is CD/DVD. But, I had no problem with all the previous ones. It's just these two latest ones that are driving me insane.
The thing is I already erased all my expansion packs, thinking maybe previous expansion packs were crashing with Freetime and IKEA.
(This method didn't work, either) So, no-cd crack wouldn't be helpful since the game isn't even installed in my laptop now.
I'll try removing SecuRom. I've never heard of it, but if it helps I'll try it. I've been thinking that there must be some kind of locking
system either in my computer or in those CDs. Maybe SecuRom is it. I asked EA people if there are any locks in the CDs, but they didn't really tell me anything.
Anyway, thank you all again for your help.
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 July 15, 20:11:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Never heard of SecuRom? *jaw drops*

1) Click the link in my sig.
2) Go to the removing SecuRom thread in this forum and follow the directions.

Good luck!

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 July 15, 21:04:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even if the suck isn't the cause of your issues, you still want that ticking timebomb off your rig.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 July 19, 17:26:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Visa, Freetime and Sims IKEA

"There are some things money can't buy. For everything else there's Mastercard"

ISFJ
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 July 20, 13:22:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a very similar problem.  SuckRom is the most likely cause.  I would backup your hard drive just in case.

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Annette
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 July 21, 00:45:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My problem is similar. I was getting the no cd in drive message so now I reinsert the cd every time I start up the computer, then the game realises there is a cd there.  Then I wait. If I click the icon to start too soon I get one of two different messages, either "Insert original disk, not a back up" or " unable to verify disk in available time". It can take several tries before the blasted thing works. I find starting the game from the launcher icon in the TS Bin is the most successful way to get the game working.
My hope is that I have a corrupt desktop shortcut, as it was working until recently. I do know in my heart that it is probably SecuRom though. I am just too illiterate to manage installing emulation software, so I have to hope that L&P Appartment Life will have a friendlier shortcut.
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 July 21, 01:29:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like a SuckUROM issue.  I haven't had any problems (yet) with Vista and Freetime but one of these days I should get my arse into gear and remove the sucky-sucky-poo-poo.

<insert witty comment here>
BirmanKat
Asinine Airhead

Itinerant Lab Rat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2008 July 22, 20:26:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Delurking for this one.  I agree with all the suck-off-rom theories.  Saw a friends system, (brand new p4 2.8 gig) start to act like it was a 386 with an anchor on it.  follow the directions from the thread on removing suck rom, then google Game copy world and search for a cracked no-cd exe.  use that instead of the laucher.   I have doing that since Eaxis put that piece of crap in their games.

Birman Kat

All Empty templates are hosted on my site with permission of the makers of them.  Go to  K and B Designs at http://kandbdesigns.vndv.com/index.html    and go to Template area.  They are sorted for you.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 July 22, 20:37:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...the sucky-sucky-poo-poo.

Honestly, vecki, you're going to cause softening of the brain all 'round.  A little decorum, if you don't mind.

Tribulatio proxima est
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 July 23, 01:11:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SuckUROM does that to me.  Can't be helped.

<insert witty comment here>
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 August 09, 12:45:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My problem is similar. I was getting the no cd in drive message so now I reinsert the cd every time I start up the computer, then the game realises there is a cd there.  Then I wait. If I click the icon to start too soon I get one of two different messages, either "Insert original disk, not a back up" or " unable to verify disk in available time". It can take several tries before the blasted thing works. I find starting the game from the launcher icon in the TS Bin is the most successful way to get the game working.
My hope is that I have a corrupt desktop shortcut, as it was working until recently. I do know in my heart that it is probably SecuRom though. I am just too illiterate to manage installing emulation software, so I have to hope that L&P Appartment Life will have a friendlier shortcut.

It's not the shortcut.  I mean, they're nought but a redirect anyway.  It's not like there's anything in them.  For this, I'd use a noCD crack.  Works like a charm and Securom doesn't get a look in.  Don't expect AL to be any better.  If anything, it'll be worse.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: