More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 07:18:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Port Forwarding difficulty with uTorrent
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Port Forwarding difficulty with uTorrent  (Read 8720 times)
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Port Forwarding difficulty with uTorrent
« on: 2008 July 17, 23:28:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I searched for port forwarding, but nothing came up. Since I see quite some people are using uTorrent, maybe I can find help from people with experience.

I'm stuck at "set up static IP address" in setting up uTorrent to download (I'm trying to download the IKEA stuff). I Got DNS servers addresses right (both from command and from calling my ISP. The rep kept asking why do I need the addresses, and said you need Business account to have static IP address, and then said it will break the router...). I also found my ISP listed in the DNS server addresses thread at uTorrent help forum, they are the same as what I found.

I don't mind buying the XP, but If I can't get it to download, I won't be able to get no-CD crack for Apartment, which I will buy but I'm sure it has super SecuRom.  Without a crack, I'm definitely not buying Apartment. Forget about Sims3.   Cry

I got this help from witch:
Do you go through a router? My router gets assigned a dynamic IP address on the internet as a matter of course, but each of my machines have a static IP within the home network. That works for uttorrent. Usually static IPs on the net are for business and webpages and so on.

If you have a modem, I don't know how that works.

So the rep was not completely full of BS. Good question, I thought what I have is a router. Now that I looked at it again, it says "RCA USB Cable Modem" in Network Connections (so it is a modem?). But I followed the port forwarding guide, everything turned up exactly as said (screen shots and everything), except, it doesn't work in the end. The connection uses a dynamic IP address. Once I set it up as the guide says, it gets disconnected.

Help!

Also, what protection do you guys have against possible legal action from EA and such when you torrent stuff? I read wiki on file sharing and SecuRom, I'm a little worried.

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Re: Port Forwarding difficulty with uTorrent
« Reply #1 on: 2008 July 17, 23:35:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my router - 10.1.1.1 is the address in IE - I also have to setup special ports for each machine. So machine 9 might run on one port and machine 13 another. Have you set up the ports in the router/modem, whatever you have? There was another section for rules that I didn't find was the same on portforward.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 July 17, 23:40:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here you go:

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

They have a port forwarding guide for just about all routers. 

You do not need a static IP to use utorrent. 

As for legal problems, well, you won't have any, although it's up to you, how you deal with the ethics of it.  For instance, I have a close friend, a very, very close friend, who has downloaded all of the EPs and the base game, too, and paid for none of them, ever since the game first came out.  It's simply awful to consider.  But that's what he has done, and he'll have to live with the shame, although, when you think about the money he saved, he may live with it very well.  I'm just assuming. 

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 July 17, 23:44:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lion mentioned s/he'd been to portforward in the thread this split from, Doc. The screendumps matched the router/modem and all.

Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 July 18, 00:01:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have a cable modem but no router?

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 July 18, 00:07:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't mind buying the XP, but If I can't get it to download, I won't be able to get no-CD crack for Apartment, which I will buy but I'm sure it has super SecuRom.  Without a crack, I'm definitely not buying Apartment. Forget about Sims3.   Cry

What do you mean you won't be able to get a no cd crack for Apartment? Huh Why wouldn't you?
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 July 18, 00:20:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Doc Doofus, that is the guide I have been following. Now that witch said I may not have a router, I WAS unable to find a router model number to match my RCA blah blah on that page, but I then followed the entry for "Symantec 200R" as I thought my firewall is Symantec.

You said
You do not need a static IP to use utorrent. 
Maybe that's my case then. But then how do I do port forwarding? My port is "not forwarded properly".

As for legal problems, well, you won't have any
How so? Can they (whoever they are, can even be my ISP, now that I think about it) find the IP of my computer that's been downloading torrents?

I bought all the EPs, not intended to ARRRR any XP, because they are not worth even ARRRing. I'm going to buy Apartment when it comes out, but now that SecuROM is such a serious problem, I don't want to run Apartment's exe.  I will need no-cd crack. If I can download no-cd crack in a usual way, I don't really need to torrent.

What do you mean you won't be able to get a no cd crack for Apartment?  Why wouldn't you?
I thought it's only available through torrenting. No?

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 July 18, 00:26:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...Good question, I thought what I have is a router. Now that I looked at it again, it says "RCA USB Cable Modem" in Network Connections. But I followed the port forwarding guide, everything turned up exactly as said (screen shots and everything), except, it doesn't work in the end.   Angry  The connection uses a dynamic IP address. Once I set it up as the guide says, it gets disconnected.

Edited: I'm moving this question to the Podium.

Quote from: crystalclear
What do you mean you won't be able to get a no cd crack for Apartment?  Why wouldn't you?
I thought it's only available through torrenting. No?

gamecopyworld - in preference to gameburnworld. Downloadable files.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 July 18, 00:51:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As for legal problems, well, you won't have any, although it's up to you, how you deal with the ethics of it.  For instance, I have a close friend, a very, very close friend, who has downloaded all of the EPs and the base game, too, and paid for none of them, ever since the game first came out.  It's simply awful to consider.  But that's what he has done, and he'll have to live with the shame, although, when you think about the money he saved, he may live with it very well.  I'm just assuming. 

Shame? That's laughable. I've pirated since BV gave me SecuROM, which disabled my antivirus, and I feel absolutely no shame whatsoever. They chose to withhold a product I would gladly purchase through their decision to include invasive and potentially destructive, definitely ineffective copy-protection measures. They chose to turn me further against their company by treating their customers like criminals, and those who reported problems with SecuROM to them as liars. They have completely destroyed my trust and loyalty towards them by continuing to use this protection method and by using bully tactics against community members who mention perfectly legal noCD-cracks as a way to prevent what can only be termed as infection by a malicious agent the consumer did not seek to install. They have prompted me to actively seek out products from competitors, especially Ubisoft.

Shame? Fuck no. I feel just short of righteous.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 July 18, 00:59:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't need a static IP to use ButtTorrent. You just need to forward the port from your router to your internal computer, and then set uTorrent to use a fixed port rather than a random one.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
unregister
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 July 18, 15:53:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had various problems getting utorrents to work. I then found I actually had a 2wire router/modem which had its own firewall. I had to not only create a port in Norton av firewall, Windows firewall, but also in the 2wire firewall. It was only when all 3 had enabled ports that it worked. Even though I have Windows firewall off and use Norton's, utorrents wouldn't work until the windows firewall also had a created port.

The 2wire firewall, Gateway, had to be reconfigured to allow a port, netbios inbound/outbound, disabled stealth mode, and allowed Ping.

My big mistake was that I thought by blocking utorrents from Norton and Windows Firewalls and closing the ports I was secure, but I wasn't. I found that my security had been breached due to not securing the 2wire router/modem. I had visitors and it made a big mess which I am still trying to resolve. Lesson learned the hard way.

Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 July 18, 16:11:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, I may not be able to handle all these security problems. Thank you WandaAnn very much for the warnings. Good to know that no-CD cracks do not need torrenting....(have been procrastinating on the SecuRom cleansing)

unregister
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 July 18, 17:11:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, I may not be able to handle all these security problems. Thank you WandaAnn very much for the warnings.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to handle it. Big thing is to put it back the way it was before as soon as possible. I even called my internet support tech, kicked me up to level 4 support, to make sure my 2wire was secure again. Hmmm, maybe I should have attended to the 2wire more quickly. I did have a nagging type feeling about it. A router/modem does complicate things, takes more time when it comes to utorrents, but had I been more aware, I would not have had those visitors and my pc security messed up.

Makes me wonder how well of a job a typical firewall, such as Norton or Windows, provides in protection.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 July 18, 19:22:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had been wondering how to juice up security a bit as well. We may be switching to Cox cable soon because it is financially beneficial for us, but Cox is anal about pirates to the point where they send out warnings for people watching streamed movies online. I've head tale of them getting huffy with torrenting as well, and now I actually need to go about hiding myself better.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
unregister
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 July 18, 20:20:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had been wondering how to juice up security a bit as well. We may be switching to Cox cable soon because it is financially beneficial for us, but Cox is anal about pirates to the point where they send out warnings for people watching streamed movies online. I've head tale of them getting huffy with torrenting as well, and now I actually need to go about hiding myself better.

When I had to contact the internet tech support about the 2wire, the guy asked why I fooled around with the 2wire to begin with. I sheepishly told him that it was to use utorrents and expected a huge lecture on the evils of shareware and problems that can be caused. Instead he was asking me questions about how to use torrents, what site I use, and how good are the files I've downloaded. This was a far cry from the lecture I expected.

I am sure that you would get better security by switching. My dsl 2wire is giving me the most security and protection, compared to av firewall, due to being in 'stealth mode' and being as the tech said "invisible" on line.
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 July 19, 01:59:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I have talked to Charter techs, they seem to know well how the usual  P2P clients work.

There are plenty of good reasons to use utorrent that have nothing to do with pirating.  I'll give you a GREAT example:  I have been downloading all the old Doctor Who episodes from the 60's, 70's, and 80's.  I like the Tom Ford (the fourth doctor( episodes from the late 70s the most, although some of the early black and white Hartmann (first doctor) episodes are great.  I particularly recommend the 2 1/2 hour black and white episode(s) "Invasion of the Daleks." 

Torrent links here:
http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/20103992/the+first+five+doctors?tab=summary
http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/17775765/fourth+doctor?tab=summary

The Fourth Doctor torrent is particularly fast.

--- BACK TO SERIOUS BUSINESS NOW ---

Poor Lion.  Maybe this will help.

I tried installing a new wifi router on my system last night and followed the  directions at portforwarding.com to set it up for utorrent.  It does ask you to provide a Static IP, and even gives you directions on how to set up your config so you do have a static IP, but I just ignored that part.  And that is what Lion was asking about.  You don't absolutely need a static IP.  Your router assigns you a dynamic IP, and that's good enough because it usually doesn't change. 

You can find out what your current IP is by opening a Dos Box and typing in "ipconfig."  It will tell you your current IP, as well as irrelevant things like yuor subnet mask, etc.  Very likely, it will tell you that your current IP is something like mine. 192.168.2.2   Just treat that as if its a static IP. 

Downside: There is a chance that your router will assign you a different IP if you turn the router off and on frequently with more than one computer online.  Personally, I have never had it happen, but just in case, I open up a firewall port for 192.168.2.3 and 192.168.2.4, just in case.  That way I can also use utorrent on my laptop.  But this is all extra credit work, not necessary to get you going.

Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 July 21, 11:06:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you Doc  Grin I may go back to fiddling with utorrent again once I understand the security issues better.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: