More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 12:27:41

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Access Violation Crash
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Access Violation Crash  (Read 6149 times)
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Access Violation Crash
« on: 2008 July 13, 22:15:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My game has been randomly CTD.  I can't seem to ID any pattern to it.  All my hacks check out with the SW Hack Conflict Utility and I don't have the Kitten Killer or Insiminator.  the Log for the Exception file says it's an Access Violation.  I've included the log for the latest crash.

Edited to add:  I have all EPs and Stuff Packs.  I am not running a no CD Crack. 

My computer Specs:
AMD Athelon 1.8 MHZ
2.00 GB RAM
ATI Radeo 9550 256 MB Mem
RealTek AC97 Audio

I understand there may be a problem with SuckyROM and my sound card.  Could this be the problem? 

It been happening for months-- pre FT-- but seems to be getting worse.  No one family or action seems to trigger it.  For instance had two crashes today--all the Sims were sleeping during the first one and it was too late for random sims with corrupted skin files to have come on the lot.  The second crash occured while the residential lot was loading after a group of Sims had visited a community lot.

« Last Edit: 2008 July 14, 04:58:37 by J. M. Pescado » Logged
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
Re: Access Violation Crash
« Reply #1 on: 2008 July 14, 04:12:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, have you tried the recommended secuROM removal and running from no-cd crack?  That would go a long way toward ruling that in or out I would think.

Tribulatio proxima est
KinwatsaZ
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 July 16, 01:48:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi,  I don't have SecuRom and I do have the no-CD crack, every EP up to FT.   And the same thing has been happening to my game,  for no evident reason.    There is NOTHING in the log that tells you Access Violation that gives any hints.  What I hate is that the neighborhood stands a good chance then of being corrupted and lost.   Just went through that.  Same deal.   The last time I got that crash I hadn't added any new DL, CC or hacks of any kind to that game.   Other time I traced the problem to bad or corrupted CC in some cases.  In others, investigating turned up nothing.  This was the first time I had the error and had installed no new content.  I am suspecting some kind of memory leak...I have three GB of Ram and it seems it had used an awful lot of it.   
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 July 16, 15:17:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm going to have my husband look over the instructions for removing SuckyRom.  If it involves regedit I'd rather he did it since he's a Professional. 

I'm currently playing my Vanilla Except for Awesome Hacks game to see if it crashes the same way.  If not I'll assume it's a an "undocumented" CC conflict of some kind.  It's going to be a Bitch to track down, since I can't find any pattern to the crashes at all.

I wonder if the fact that I'm down to about 5GB space on my hard drive might be a factor?
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 July 16, 18:03:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same sound card chip, no problems, except with surround sound. But that doesn't cause crashes.

I wonder if the fact that I'm down to about 5GB space on my hard drive might be a factor?
Do you often delve into virtual memory? I mean, when you are playing, and you open Task Manager, are you using more than 2 gigs of memory? Because then that very well could be your problem.

Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 July 24, 17:18:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I stopped getting the Access Violation Crashes after I took advice I found elsewhere and checked my Events Viewer/System and discovered that at the same time as about half the crashes there was a particular error that a search on Google showed was a known bug with my Catalyst Driver.  I installed new driver. 

I still got a CTD, but at least this one didn't give the Access violation.  It gave something that yet another Google search said was something to do with C++.  Later today we're supposed to go shopping for a second harddrive which I'll devote to Sims2 and at that point I'll probably have my husband do the whole remove SuckyRom thing.

If it crashes after that I'll fall on my sword and have done, I guess.  Roll Eyes
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 July 24, 17:31:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it crashes after that I'll fall on my sword and have done, I guess.  Roll Eyes

I can see you thought this through carefully and dispassionately.

Tribulatio proxima est
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 July 24, 17:52:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup. 

Falling on my sword may involve doing the whole binary process CC of elimination.  This is going to take a while because the usually doesn't crash until I've been playing for several hours.  Not to mention the volume of CC I've got in there.

And there's also the possibility that my system is just overheating. It's July in Indiana--everything else is crashing in the heat.  (I'm getting occasional crashes with Oblivion too--those may have been the graphics driver.  But Oblivion doesn't obligingly give you useless logs when it crashes.)
The process of adding a HD will include blowing the dust out of the tower, checking to see if the fans are clogged and or non-functional and moving the tower so that it isn't trapped between my big clunky old monitor and the printer.

Oh, well, it gives me something important to whine about since I lost my job.  (Actually I didn't lose it.  I knew right where it was all the time--but it got up and left.)
Zaleth
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 July 27, 14:09:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to get this myself all the time, try deleting the two cache files in my documents/sims 2 folder.  Those files get corrupt a lot.  I use this when I go to load the sims and it seems to get stuck never making it to the load screen.  I found it also works when I get that error as well.  I won't promise it will help but it might since it worked for me.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: