More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 03:52:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  I think I broke it. The game won't even finish loading.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: I think I broke it. The game won't even finish loading.  (Read 5857 times)
HeyYeah
Mentally Retarded
Dimwitted Dunce

I am a fish

View Profile
I think I broke it. The game won't even finish loading.
« on: 2008 July 08, 19:44:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I woke up this morning, logged in on the computer that has the Sims 2 installed on it, ended superfluous background tasks, double clicked on the shortcut, and waited for the game to load. As the game was loading the lovely "Application has crashed. Application will now terminate." message popped up. I deleted the groups.cache file and tried again. Again, it crashed. I took out my downloads folder and tried yet again. It still crashed. Then I tried with my SavedSims folder taken out (I've got some crappy recolor I made when I was messing around with BodyShop the other day in there and figured it may have been borked somehow.). Still crashed. I took out the whole Sims 2 folder out to let the game regenerate it, and then it loaded. I exited, deleted the 'hoods that came with the game and put my hoods and downloads back in. Started it up, and it crashed again.

What do I do now? I am I going to end up loosing my 'hoods and having to start from scratch? Does this sound like a problem that may be due to SecureROM (I'm infested. I got it with Sims 2 Deluxe and never removed it because I didn't want to mess the registry if it wasn't causing problems.)?
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
Re: I think I broke it. The game won't even finish loading.
« Reply #1 on: 2008 July 08, 20:35:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Get rid of Securom. It's just a good idea.

Did you also delete your neighbourhood manager? That would be with all of your neighbourhoods. Try letting that regenerate.
HeyYeah
Mentally Retarded
Dimwitted Dunce

I am a fish

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 July 08, 22:12:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you also delete your neighborhood manager? That would be with all of your neighborhoods. Try letting that regenerate.

Tried that. Didn't work. I've discovered that it's only one of the neighborhoods that's causing the crash. Unfortunately it's the one that I've played the most, but at least everything else is okay (other than my lots and houses bin, which I lost due to my own stupidity), and I can play now.
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 July 08, 22:33:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you been screwing around in the borked neighborhood in SimPE? I went on a character-deleting spree about a year ago and lost my neighborhood because I didn't know not to delete certain files.

HeyYeah
Mentally Retarded
Dimwitted Dunce

I am a fish

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 July 08, 22:42:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you been screwing around in the borked neighborhood in SimPE? I went on a character-deleting spree about a year ago and lost my neighborhood because I didn't know not to delete certain files.

Nope. I haven't used SimPE in months; I'm always afraid I'll screw something up.
cassandra
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 July 08, 23:50:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you have recently put new CC into your game take it out.

This is why my downloads are so organized, I have had this same thing happen almost a hundred times!  I always have the folder open that I last extracted content into, this way if it crashes the program or turns the sky orange, I know just what did it. The last time this happened to me it was from the fishing bridge from ReflexSims forum; I was so excited that sims would be able to fish from the pier, alas it borked my game hard.

I organize everything based on where it is found in the catalog -
1). Game Modifations have the first folder, then sort by who created it.
2). All Neighborhood deco, and items commonly found on Community Lots have the second folder.
3). Build Mode has the third.

So on and so forth. One more thing, many players don't know that you can dump all content for BodyShop/Create a Sim into the SavedSims folder, nothing will be worse for wear. I give defalut replacements their own folder as well, then subdivided by type.  I also rar backups of the different folders and store them on a thumb drive, it saves me hedaches.   Cool
HeyYeah
Mentally Retarded
Dimwitted Dunce

I am a fish

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 July 09, 01:06:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

CC isn't the problem, because the game works fine now with the Downloads and Saved Sims folders in and the N0001 folder out, and worked fine from the time I last put CC in until this morning. I don't know what happened, but something in the N001 folder is causing it.
Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2008 July 09, 13:38:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you removed your groups.cache? It usually won't let me load the game at all, but yours may be a bit slower on the draw.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

I think one of the things that keeps a person sane is healthy skepticism about what you believe. Every now and then enjoy a conversation with an inner voice that says, "You're full of shit again." —Stewart Brand
Milhouse Trixibelle Saltfucker III
Saltfucking Weasel
Terrible Twerp

How is a weasel like a writing desk?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 July 09, 13:39:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

He says he did.
I deleted the groups.cache file and tried again.

04:49 <@Pescado> That seems somehow unnecessarily cruel.

21:17 < Kewian> Trixie one day you are going to pay for your crimes.

Your source for blood and circuses.
Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2008 July 09, 14:11:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I swear I read his post three times and still I missed it. I admit that I'm at a loss. I think at that point, I'd back up my files and start again.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

I think one of the things that keeps a person sane is healthy skepticism about what you believe. Every now and then enjoy a conversation with an inner voice that says, "You're full of shit again." —Stewart Brand
spambi
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 July 22, 05:14:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm having trouble loading my game also. I removed Securom and I'm using the no-CD .exe for the 3rd (or whatever the latest is) patch of Free Time.

I had a few problems before that might have been causing the game to not load. I had two stuck pregnancies because I had the wrong version of nopregannoy. I got rid of that and the game loaded. Then it went back to not loading. I found that I had some .1 character files in my main neighborhood (you might check for that.) I fixed those (delete the smaller duplicate file, rename the .1 file to the same name without the .1) and it loaded again.

Since then it has taken me many tries to load the game. I usually have to remove my downloads, main neighborhood and all those cigen/cache files and then it will load. Then I put the downloads and main neighborhood back and it may load (sometimes on the second try.)

I hadn't tried deleting the neighborhood manager. I'll try that, though I'm seriously questioning why I'm willing to spend so much time on a game that takes so much effort just to start.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: