More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 17:04:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Do you visit the hobby lots? Are they useful?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Do you visit the hobby lots? Are they useful?  (Read 27563 times)
nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Do you visit the hobby lots? Are they useful?
« on: 2008 July 06, 11:44:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just sent a sim around to the hobby lots for the first time.  I'm wondering how useful they really are.  Is this one of those things where you try them out a couple of times, then never go back? 
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
Re: Do you visit the hobby lots? Are they useful?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 July 06, 12:03:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I went to one once, but the cognitive dissonance of having my period Sims wandering around that ugly and borked art lot ensured that I never did it again.
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2008 July 06, 12:16:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried it once, but didn't see the point.  For the hobby lots with contests, you can set up a community lot in the base hood with the contest objects, and I don't see anything else of use.

Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 July 06, 13:07:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The hobbyist icon people that manage the lots can instruct you in the hobby.  that's about it.

I suppose there is an advantage to the lots that you can skill up while time is frozen at home.  Like, if you needed another body point for a promotion but the car pool is about to arrive, you could send your Sim to the dance hobby lot and skill up, shower, drink coffee and roast a hot dog and then go home just before the car pool arrives.

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
Sivany
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 July 06, 13:24:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I went to a couple just after I got FT but quickly realised there was no real point to them. You wait all that time for the lot to load only to find that it's broken and you can't get the compeitions to work anyway. I think I've deleted 2 all the NPCs that come with the lots now anyway.
MrMugg
Corpulent Cretin

Wanna c a magik trik?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 July 06, 14:37:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On one hand they are neat to go to, but then after you've been there you're like "okay, I've been here, done that" and the lot isn't as special anymore.  Some of the hobby lots are pointless and a waste of time, while others are cool because they have aspiration rewards in them.

Now, I go to them if I'm bored and want to do something different.  I would like them much better if we could create our OWN secret hobby lots for our custom neighborhoods.  But that cheat code is "bugged" from what I've read.
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2008 July 06, 16:31:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hobby Lots are only special for sheeples who oppose the use of zOMG dangerous hacks, as they're supposed to be the only non-residential lots in which you can build skills. (Well, except for Secret Society in Uni, maybe.) And I'm not even sure of the validity of that claim. But we already have Pescado's comm-skilling for that.

Aside from the constant presence of Iconic Hobbyists from whom you can get instruction in the hobby, there is nothing that you can't do in ordinary community lots.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 July 06, 19:17:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see any point in training hobby points at all. So no, I don't use the hobby lots.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 July 06, 19:18:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep. They're the most pointless thing EAxis has ever shoved into the game. It's not a surprise they tried to prevent anyone from making it successfully useful.
JacquiES
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 July 06, 21:35:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is this one of those things where you try them out a couple of times, then never go back? 

Yup.  And not even all of them, I think I tried two and thought they were stupid.  I agree with Lord Darcy, I have the comm-skilling hack so I really don't need all that mess.  I can create my own hobby lots.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 July 06, 21:53:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And our own Emma has a bunch of 'hobby lots as community lots' she built and posted over in her area on laverwinkle.sims.  You can save yourself a lot of effort having to build your own. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
JacquiES
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 July 06, 22:48:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And our own Emma has a bunch of 'hobby lots as community lots' she built and posted over in her area on laverwinkle.sims.  You can save yourself a lot of effort having to build your own. Smiley

Wow those are great!  I am moving to a new computer so I have to remember to come back and get some of them.  All of her stores are ones I have to make for my new hood but don't feel like it.  Thanks for the heads up.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 July 06, 22:50:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've noticed that non-S4 DJs appear to be wearing an S4 person's FACE as part of their outfit.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
MrMugg
Corpulent Cretin

Wanna c a magik trik?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 July 07, 04:43:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those lots do look really good.  I think I'll create a separate "sub-neighborhood", kind of like "business" or "downtown" and make that my Secret Hobby Lot Town.  Those are just fantastic.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2008 July 07, 05:47:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Glad you like them-I will stop procrastinating and make the rest-hopefully by the end of this week Smiley

I never use the hobby lots, ever. They are completely useless in my book, plus they are ugly. I have a cooking competition lot, a dance competition lot and a gaming competition lot, plus those couple of 'hobby lots' I made, and that is it.

Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 July 07, 13:12:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those lots do look really good.  I think I'll create a separate "sub-neighborhood", kind of like "business" or "downtown" and make that my Secret Hobby Lot Town.  Those are just fantastic.
This may be just the thing to rid of that "Ewe need moar subhoods!" popup. Screw the Shopping District. Will now have a combo Seniors' Retirement Vista & Hobbination Alley. Thanks for all the hard work, Emma.

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 July 07, 14:31:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hate that damn pop-up. I keep getting it, regardless of the fact that I have every subhood (my Downtown is Hobbies, though, so most likely that one isn't really registering). Ikea started it up.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 July 07, 14:45:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I want hobby stuff, I put it in my comm lots.  I likely will use a couple of Emma's hobby lots 'cos I can't resist new shiny stuff.

Other than that, I don't see the point of building hobby points - the benefits related to motive decay seem minimal at best, and there's no great perk to "being in the zone".  I have enough trouble trying to get sims to build skills badges before they 'go elder' and die. 

Tribulatio proxima est
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 July 07, 20:02:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I want hobby stuff, I put it in my comm lots.  I likely will use a couple of Emma's hobby lots 'cos I can't resist new shiny stuff.
Other than that, I don't see the point of building hobby points... I have enough trouble trying to get sims to build skills badges before they 'go elder' and die.

Emma's lots are quite shiny, aren't they?

The hobby points themselves really don't do anything for me either, but the hobbies do give me a couple of things to do with my elders to make them more interesting to play. I have one elder who's probably about 5 days from death, and I'm actually having fun seeing if I can get him to complete his bug collection before he kicks it. Not that the complete bug collection really matters for anything, but it beats just farting around, waiting for Reaper's Hula Show.

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2008 July 07, 22:19:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

M'kay, I'll do the Nature lot next Grin

Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 July 07, 22:40:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whoot! Reason enough to elixir Ethan Leung's waning ass and keep him around for a few more days.  Grin
I've just sent him and his newly-eldered wife on holiday, mostly to see what'll happen if he kicks it on Twiikki, but now I'm actually hoping he'll survive long enough to kick it @ a shiny new nature lot instead. Cheesy

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2008 July 07, 22:41:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can sims die on vacation? I thought someone said they couldn't.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 July 07, 22:59:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Playable sims don't age on vacation lots, so no, they can't die of old age there.  I believe, however, that they can die of other causes, just like on any comm lot.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2008 July 07, 23:01:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay-I just remember someone trying to actually kill their sim by a number of means on vacation, and it not working.

Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 July 07, 23:49:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meh, fair enough if they don't age on holiday, given their pets can't even manage to finish a bowl of chow while they're gone. I didn't *think* he'd age off and die, but I was curious. Guess that just gives him more time to do holiday-type stuff in the meantime, and he can try for those last 5 bugs when he gets home and can visit Emma's forthcoming and doubtlessly shiny Nature lot. Which I'm sure she'll be working on really soon. Ahem.

Really, take your time, Emma. Unless you happen to suspect that a speedy Nature comm lot might help those Pets recolours show up faster...  Roll Eyes  No, really, take your time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: