More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 11:28:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  New computer - I submit for peer review
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: New computer - I submit for peer review  (Read 19556 times)
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

ISFP - now more Introverted than Pescado!

View Profile
New computer - I submit for peer review
« on: 2008 June 25, 04:53:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FINALLY I have my own computer. Huzzah! It does have Windoze Vista, but I don't care. It has moar RAMZ than the last one, which I am happy about. I think the graphics card is better, too.

Here are the new specs:

Machine name: zOMG NEW COMPUTER!
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model: MS-7387
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2180  @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Page File: 981MB used, 3351MB available

So is it a good PC? We only bought the tower, which was under $800. It isn't a specific brand, we got some techie type person to build us one.

Fuck you, Old Man. Fuck you.
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
Re: New computer - I submit for peer review
« Reply #1 on: 2008 June 25, 05:01:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It should be quick enough for Sims and most everything else. Since someone built it for you then when you want a nicer video card you should be able to upgrade it easily. How big is the HD?

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 June 25, 05:09:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

HD is 232GB with 183GB being used.

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 June 25, 05:18:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Congrats on the new PC, Jess Grin Looks like a really good one!

Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 June 25, 05:31:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, Emma Grin Going over a week without my own computer nearly killed me! The sister's laptop sucks and has a stuck 'D' key that you have to mash on REALLY HARD to make it work.

Ohh! And I have my beloved Spell Check now. All is good with the world.

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 June 25, 05:33:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd cry if I had to go a day without my PC Cheesy You did well, girl!

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 June 25, 06:09:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Personally I'd want more RAMZ. How are you going to get twins with just 2 GB?

Looks like a good deal for the money.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 June 25, 06:27:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mother wanted a cheap machine, and since I "am only sixteen twelve so I know nothing about computers"* I was supposed to have no say in the matter. But before the techie person left to get us a quote I mentioned that I play the Sims 2, so I needed a decent amount of RAMZ and a decent graphics card. If it wasn't for me mentioning that we would have probably ended up with some shitbox like a $600 Dell.

*Complete and utter bollocks. When we first got the message on the old shitbox *I* was the one trying to reboot it and looking for ways to fix it. Idiot older "computer genius" sister had no idea what was going on or how to fix it.

Liveangel
Querulous Quidnunc

Meh.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2008 June 25, 07:30:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FINALLY I have my own computer. Huzzah! It does have Windoze Vista...
If you are the only one using it, get Ubuntu. I'd get Ubuntu if I was the only person using my shitbox.

Mother wanted a cheap machine, and since I "am only sixteen twelve so I know nothing about computers"* I was supposed to have no say in the matter. But before the techie person left to get us a quote I mentioned that I play the Sims 2, so I needed a decent amount of RAMZ and a decent graphics card. If it wasn't for me mentioning that we would have probably ended up with some shitbox like a $600 Dell.

*Complete and utter bollocks. When we first got the message on the old shitbox *I* was the one trying to reboot it and looking for ways to fix it. Idiot older "computer genius" sister had no idea what was going on or how to fix it.
Wow, Jess Maree, have you requested a DNA test to see if those idiots really are your mum and sister?

"Jesus is not Santa Claus for adults! Jesus is for everyone!"Edward Current
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 June 25, 07:41:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's probably true. I mean, Pedobait hasn't reformatted the computer to REMOVE VISTA.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 June 25, 07:44:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you are the only one using it, get Ubuntu. I'd get Ubuntu if I was the only person using my shitbox.

Unfortunately, it's still called the "family computer" even though I spend 99.99% of my time on it. Mother only uses it for e-mails and that.

Wow, Jess Maree, have you requested a DNA test to see if those idiots really are your mum and sister?

Heh, I still reckon I'm adopted, but apparently me and my sister look alike. I have the same eyes as everyone in my family, so it looks like I'm related.

It's probably true. I mean, Pedobait hasn't reformatted the computer to REMOVE VISTA.

I LIKE Vista, thank you very much. You can keep your XP/whatever you use.

Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 June 25, 08:11:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Vista is PRETTY so it appeals to F-types. My T-type husband removed it from my new computer first thing, I had no say in the matter.  Tongue

More F than you
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 June 25, 08:51:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I managed a fortnight. I got so sick of affirming everything I wanted to do, despite disabling a bunch of crap, that no matter how pretty it was, it had to go.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 June 25, 09:08:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is a way to stop the annoying "make sure I can do this!!1!oneone!!" pop-ups when you start a program or change a setting. The techie type person did it for the sister's laptop. I'm looking in the Control Panel to find where I change the setting.

ETA: Pedobait can has success! Go to Control Panel/User Accounts and Safety/User Accounts/Turn User Account Control On or Off then untick the box and restart to have those annoying pop-up boxes feck off for good.

You'll get some User Security alert thing bitching at you about it, but don't pay attention to it.
« Last Edit: 2008 June 25, 09:23:39 by Jess Maree » Logged

awrevell
Blathering Buffoon

Old School Charm

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 June 25, 14:39:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not a bad system Jess  Smiley  I have to build a new one for school soon.

I use Vista as well, and I like it... but then the first thing I did was go into control panel and turn off every freaking warning notification the thing had.  Including User Account Control which is the pain in the arse that asks "are you sure you want to do that?" every time you try to do something. 

C++ is designed to allow you to express ideas, but if you don't have ideas, or don't have any clue about how to express them, C++ doesn't offer much help.  - Bjarne Stroustrup
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 June 25, 18:28:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...User Account Control which is the pain in the arse that asks "are you sure you want to do that?" every time you try to do something. 

"Are you sure you want to do that?"
"Yes"
"But that will delete a file."
"I pressed the delete button."
"Have you considered the alternatives?"
"What alternatives?"
"Not deleting files is very nice."
"Okay, I won't delete it."
"Are you sure you want to do that?"
 Angry

I hate an OS that believes it is smarter than me.  It is so often wrong.  Roll Eyes

Tribulatio proxima est
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 June 26, 03:33:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't mind the "do you want to delete this?" message, because I don't want to delete anything important and forget about it. But the User Account Control thing pissed me off to no end.

Also, I love that Vista is pretty. I like my computer desktop to look nice Cheesy

Liveangel
Querulous Quidnunc

Meh.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2008 June 26, 04:10:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"Are you sure you want to do that?" "Yes" "But that will delete a file." "I pressed the delete button." "Have you considered the alternatives?" "What alternatives?" "Not deleting files is very nice." "Okay, I won't delete it." "Are you sure you want to do that?" Angry

I hate an OS that believes it is smarter than me.  It is so often wrong.  Roll Eyes
That reminds me of a joke.
"Pro-life virus: Won't allow you to delete a file, regardless of how old it is. If you attempt to erase a file, it requires you to first see a counselor about possible alternatives."

"Jesus is not Santa Claus for adults! Jesus is for everyone!"Edward Current
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 June 26, 06:51:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nice work Jess.  Vecki can haz new puter too so has been celebrating by... playing Sims endlessly

(yes, I stopped long enough to put my hacks back in again)

(yes, I spent some time getting rid of the promotional garbage that came with the computer)

(yes, it was out of the box, that's why it had loads of promotional garbage on it.  I couldn't be arsed building from scratch.  At least I got a free printer out of it)

(yes, it has EVILL VISTA(tm))

(yes, it asks me no less than 4 times if I really, really REALLY meant to double click on that file I just downloaded from a reputable website)

(yes, when presented with a compatibility issue, it links to a Japanese website which I suppose is meant to have a solution but I can't frickin' read Japanese - That's right Trend Micro 2008, I'm looking at YOU!)

<insert witty comment here>
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 June 26, 06:54:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Vecki - go to Control Panel/User Accounts and Safety/User Accounts/Turn User Account Control On or Off then untick the box and restart to get rid of the "do you want to do this?" pop-up boxes for good. It took me ages to figure out how to do it.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 June 26, 13:10:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or if you want the UAC protection, but hate the pop-ups, get TweakUAC and set it to silent mode.

And yes, I had to cave and put Vista on my laptop, since I need to learn it for work... <sigh>

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 June 26, 13:31:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And yes, I had to cave and put Vista on my laptop, since I need to learn it for work... <sigh>

LOL - Bang goes your Vista-free rating.

Tribulatio proxima est
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 June 26, 14:11:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yea, all good things must come to an end...

(But my custom built, super-duper desktop computer is and will remain Vista-free for as long as possible. Smiley )

Revenge story about getting Vista:  I was working from home yesterday, so I ran up to Best Buy to get the upgrade pack (Home Premium), which was listed on their website at $129 (I had a bunch of reward zone coupons I was planning to use).  After waiting a while for a salesman to finally get it for me, since they don't keep it on the shelves (like people are going to actually try to steal it Smiley), and waiting in line, I got to the register and it kept ringing up @ $159. In spite of their web page saying that $129 was the price, and the sticker on the shelf in the store saying it was $129, the cashier and her boss kept insisting that $159 was the right price, so I told them to keep it and walked out.

Went on line a bit later and ordered it for pickup at the $129 price.  Went to the store to get it later in the day, and had to wait a bit as the guy found someone with a key to the locked cabinet they had the pickup orders in.  When he finishes the ring-up process, it turns out the in-store price is really $95, and that I also get a discount because of their guarantee that you'll get an in-store pickup item in a minute or less (didn't know about that one).  So with the lower price, discount, and the reward coupons I had, the Vista upgrade cost me....

$35. Smiley

« Last Edit: 2008 June 26, 14:21:08 by jsalemi » Logged

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 June 27, 00:44:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I grabbed that TweakUAC think. Cheers, Jsalemi!

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 June 27, 01:24:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your computer does not have enough RAMz for Vista anyway. Just reformat it and install XP. Vista requires at least 8 GBs of RAMs to hit the breakeven point.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: