More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 00:33:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Sporetrial and SecuRom
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Sporetrial and SecuRom  (Read 31476 times)
tIIsuggas
Garrulous Gimp

Avatar V2.013.6 (alpha) Unsupported

View Profile
Re: Sporetrial and SecuRom
« Reply #25 on: 2008 June 20, 18:32:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lorelei, thanks for the info, I'll pass it on.  My suspicions are now facts. 

Looks like the rumour that flared up from me posting about this, isn't a rumour anymore.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2008 June 20, 21:13:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe the version of SecuROM currently plaguing me is an earlier version that is less aggressive than that which was bundled with BV. It didn't ever try to phone home, it just lurked. It acts like a rootkit, according to RootkitRevealer.exe.

Standard trojan / spyware removal tools have bypassed it up until now. I'm now reduced to registry tweaking and other fun crap, and the geek assisting me in my endeavors was convinced it was downloaded via a torrent or P2P rather than legitimately purchased, due to the aggressive nature and sneakiness of SecuROM, and its interactions with my registry and (legal) CD/DVD burning software, and how it borked my (legal) anti-malware defenses enough to let at least two other Trojans sneak in and take up residence. Compared to those Trojans, SecuROM is proving far more wily and tenacious, and more difficult to eradicate from my system.

And, again, it isn't the truly aggressive version found in BV, so had I installed BV, god knows what would be prowling around on my computer and trying to dial home, bork my OS-installed media software, partially block/disable my anti-malware programs (several updates have failed), and steal my infoz. For some reason, Firefox on the SecuROM-afflicted system now also has trouble opening more than one or two tabs at once. Prior to this, I could set it to open a dozen, even on dial-up, and it would go to work and plug away getting that data until all 12 loaded, rather than spamming up "page not found" errors and dropping the upload instead.

Fucking EA.
« Last Edit: 2008 June 20, 21:18:58 by Lorelei » Logged

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Strangel
Nitwitted Nuisance

Strangelet watches Star Wars with an iPhone. Geek.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 2008 June 21, 02:02:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Complete with miniAss!

Jelendra: Welcome to the dark side. We have Eric. [True Blood Thread]
[14:26] notovny: Indeed. Pepperidge Farm Breakfast Kittens are delicious.
Om-Nom-Nomed as Throat of #grah 08.07.08 ISFP
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: