More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 10:44:09

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  MAJOR problems with Creature Creator and Vista
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: MAJOR problems with Creature Creator and Vista  (Read 6062 times)
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

Suck it, Jesus! This avatar is my God now!

View Profile
MAJOR problems with Creature Creator and Vista
« on: 2008 June 19, 15:41:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, so here's what's going on.

I CAN'T FIND THE PROGRAM.  It's not in Program Files/Electronic Arts.  The only thing that's there is the EA Downloader.  When I search for "Spore" or "Creature Creator", nothing is found on my computer.  I can only run my game through the Downloader, and that's a problem, because:

I need to try compatibility mode, because my graphics card is a laptop graphics card (I have a desktop, the iq770, with an nVidia GeForce Go 7600 card).

Why?  Because it "freezes".  I can't get the next screen to load unless I hit Ctrl/Alt/Del then Cancel.  When I re-enter the game, the next screen is loaded.  I'm assuming this is a graphics issue, because when I exit the game (after Ctrl/Alt/Del/Cancel to get the "Are you sure?" page to load), the screen flickers.

HALP.

I have searched high and low today, and found a couple of people with a similar problem, but as of yet, no solutions.

Seriously, HALP!!!   Huh

ETA:  People are saying their Vista problems are fixed when they uninstall the Downloader, but I can't do that, because it's the only place I can run the game from (because I can't find the danged Creature Creator file anywhere else).

« Last Edit: 2008 June 19, 15:52:28 by SJActress » Logged

Who doesn't like kitties? KITTIES! They're cute! They're fuzzy!
Try this before posting, n00b.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: MAJOR problems with Creature Creator and Vista
« Reply #1 on: 2008 June 19, 15:59:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know you have SecuROM, now, don't you?  Roll Eyes

The EA Downloader is made of evil. Never use it. Anyways. I'm not on the right computer, but I believe the executable is "....CreatureCreator" with no space. Just try searching for "creature".

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 June 19, 16:07:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope, the only thing my computer finds when I search "creature" are the .gif images of the creatures I've created.

Yes, I know the EA Downloader sucks, and so does Suckurom.  I just want to play the damned thing with out Ctrl/Alt/Del my head off.  Cry

I would LOVE to uninstall the downloader, but it's the only place I can find the game!

Tsarina
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 June 19, 16:09:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had the same problem with not being able to find it. I ended up uninstalling, and when installing again, I wrote a new destination rather than to use the default. Then I went to that destination, found the .exe and created a shortcut on the desktop. I don't know if this will help you, but it worked for me.
« Last Edit: 2008 June 19, 16:17:40 by Tsarina » Logged

INEPT INTP
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 June 19, 16:15:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried that, but it says, "Cannot create cache file" and won't let me change the destination (current destination: Program Files/Electronic Arts/EADM/cache).

I'm re-downloading anyway, as we speak, to see if anything gets fixed.

I'll find out in 28 minutes.  Sad

And I'm back!  Yeah, that didn't do a damn thing.  I still can't find the exe file anywhere; it's like my computer thinks it doesn't exist.  I can't find it in any of the EADM folders either.  And for the record, I search for Program Files\Electronic Arts\EADM\cache and my computer didn't find anything at all for that search.

This really sucks!  Please help!  Smiley

ETA:  You're not going to believe me, but I think the problem is fixed (temporarily).  Do you know what Windows Sidebar is, Vista users?  Yeah.  I closed that, and now it's not freezing!  Huh

Well, I hope maybe that helps others having this problem.  I still can't find the damn exe so that I can run the game from THAT and uninstall the EADM...but for now, I'll live.
« Last Edit: 2008 June 19, 16:56:08 by SJActress » Logged

maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 June 19, 18:32:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it's Vista, the files are likely hidden.  I had a similar problem last week and had to unhide files in Explorer to find what I was looking for.  Honestly, though I like Vista, the Microsoft nannying has gone too far.

Interesting thing about the sidebar - I'll make a note of that.

Inteen for AL, yay!
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 June 19, 20:31:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found the .exe.  It's under Start > Games.  No, not Start > All Programs > Games.  Just Start > Games.  It's a new shiny in Vista that sucks.

But my computer still can't "find" it.  Whatever!  Undecided

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2008 June 20, 08:15:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Windows sidebar is evil. I've closed mine and my installed games and stuff always loads quickly, I have no laggage. My husband still has his loaded and on his user account everything is slooooow. He blames me and my installed stuff but he won't believe it is windows sidebar that is causing his problems.

SJActress, what you need to do in Windows Security Center is turn off 'user account control'. You should be able to get into your (unhidden) program files then. To show hidden files and folder, just go to 'my Documents>Organise>Folder and Search Options>view' then about halfway down the window popup there is an option to show hidden files and folders.

LizzyJ
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 June 20, 08:42:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had the same problem, so I just file searched "Spore" and found it that way.

My imaginary god is better than your imaginary god.
Menaceman
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 June 20, 15:37:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm so glad I found this thread! THANK YOU!
I went out and bought the full version of the creature creator today but after installing it it wouldn't run. The trial version wouldn't either but that had been working fine before. The only difference was the EA download manager. I removed that and the creator is working again!
If I hadn't found this I was going to try removing SecuRom and really didn't fancy trying that.
BTW I'm using XP so this isn't just a Vista program.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: